PDA

View Full Version : Shear Walls

tonyv
2011-05-12, 10:19 PM
When working in Revit how do others represent shear walls? My boss wants to keep the same (or close to) symbols and representation for shear wall locations. I am not sure how I am going to accomplish this since the model or a model shows and entire wall with doors and windows cut into it. I really don't want to have to create a new wall type, draw it a certain length then switch types and continue. Any suggestions?

m20roxxers
2011-05-13, 12:27 AM
You can apply a shear structural option then use a Graphics filter override to change the colour or hatch of the walls for depiction. The parameter is instance dependant.

tonyv
2011-05-16, 05:10 PM
By doing this am I able to control the parameter for the hatch on the wall? For instance, if I have a wall that is 50ft. long and I need 10ft. shearwalls at each ends can I have one wall with parameters at each end specifying the distance of the shearwalls as well as showing the hatch pattern while still only having one wall? Or would I need to draw three seperate walls and join them together?

Brian Myers
2011-05-16, 05:32 PM
By doing this am I able to control the parameter for the hatch on the wall? For instance, if I have a wall that is 50ft. long and I need 10ft. shearwalls at each ends can I have one wall with parameters at each end specifying the distance of the shearwalls as well as showing the hatch pattern while still only having one wall? Or would I need to draw three seperate walls and join them together?

This may not be what you want, but if you look at the new features in Revit 2012 you now have a tool called "Create Parts " that allows you to split the wall surface while still maintaining it as a single wall entity. At that point you would need to apply a different "hatch" material too it for the different display representation.

To be fair, it's not the ideal solution but it sure has the potential to achieve what you are looking to do. The other option (and this might be better, plus it would work in 2011) would be to "split" the wall (same wall type, 2 walls sitting side by side), select the wall, right click, Override Graphics in View, By Element. This would allow you to have a surface pattern applied to a specific section of wall yet still be the same wall type. Of course, this would only apply View Specific so this override would need to be applied in each view you want to see it in.

DoTheBIM
2011-05-17, 11:35 AM
By doing this am I able to control the parameter for the hatch on the wall? For instance, if I have a wall that is 50ft. long and I need 10ft. shearwalls at each ends can I have one wall with parameters at each end specifying the distance of the shearwalls as well as showing the hatch pattern while still only having one wall? Or would I need to draw three seperate walls and join them together?Draw one wall. Split it 10' from each end. Select the two end pieces and change the structural usage instance parameter to shear. do a visibility/graphics filter to override the cut pattern of walls that are set to shear.

Brian Myers
2011-05-18, 12:58 PM
Draw one wall. Split it 10' from each end. Select the two end pieces and change the structural usage instance parameter to shear. do a visibility/graphics filter to override the cut pattern of walls that are set to shear.

That's a good idea.... even if it wasn't wrong, forget what I wrote and go with this. :)

tonyv
2011-05-24, 04:51 PM
Drawing parts within the wall has worked great, however I now have another dilemma. I have been able to achieve the tag for the "part" of the wall the wall that requires it but now I am having trouble with the regular wall tag.

I want the tag to show the length of the wall without having to imput anything into the properties of the wall, i.e. a text parameter. I just want the length parameter to visually show the length of said wall. Unfrotunatly the wall tag family does not have a "length" parameter within it. When I try to create one it does not work. Any Ideas?