PDA

View Full Version : Dual Monitors

TONYCINSTL
2005-01-10, 05:44 PM
Does anyone know what is involved with running AutoCAD 2002 on dual monitors? I will soon be receiving the hardware to run Windows XP on both screens. Can you have different view ports and or drawings on each screen within the same editing session? Is there any Autocad settings that need to be adjusted for duels, or is it strictly controlled by the windows settings?

RobertB
2005-01-10, 05:47 PM
You can only have the application window on one monitor. You can then place all the toolbars, palettes, and command window on the other monitor.

Mike.Perry
2005-01-10, 06:13 PM
Hi

Check out the following Technical Document on the Autodesk web site under the Knowledge Base section -

ID: TS22235 - Dual monitor configurations (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=2894569&linkID=2475323)

+

Give the Forum search facility a try, you will find there is information on this subject within the Forums -

Have a good one, Mike

TONYCINSTL
2005-01-10, 06:17 PM
I have posted this question in several different forums and have received several different answers. You are saying that I can only have the application open on one monitor, but you say I can have my toolbars and pallet open in the secondary monitor. Wouldn't that mean the application is open on both? In another forum I am told that AutoCAD is Multi-display compatible and the application can be stretched across both screens. Although, there is no mention of dual Monitors in the Autocad help files. Lord, I am more confused than ever.

TONYCINSTL
2005-01-10, 06:26 PM
Thank you Mr. Perry

CADNate
2005-01-10, 06:28 PM
In windows XP right click on you desktop and go to Display setting, in you setting tap click on the enabling extended desktop. This should allow AutoCAD to be stretched across both monitors.

Mike.Perry
2005-01-10, 07:10 PM
Thank you Mr. PerryHi

No worries....

Just for future reference Mike, Mick or Michael would be fine. Mr Perry sounds a little too formal (though very polite).

:beer: Mike

Glenn Pope
2005-01-11, 01:22 AM
I have posted this question in several different forums and have received several different answers. You are saying that I can only have the application open on one monitor, but you say I can have my toolbars and pallet open in the secondary monitor. Wouldn't that mean the application is open on both? In another forum I am told that AutoCAD is Multi-display compatible and the application can be stretched across both screens. Although, there is no mention of dual Monitors in the Autocad help files. Lord, I am more confused than ever.
AutoCAD has some support for dual monitors. You can stretch it across both displays. Just have AutoCAD in a non-maximized state and stretch the sides out.

TONYCINSTL
2005-01-11, 02:13 PM
Thanks for everyones input. Its nice to have friends like Yu'all.

RobertB
2005-01-11, 02:30 PM
It really depends on what capabilites the driver gives you too. For instance, my nVidia driver has a setting to force an application on to one monitor, which is why I made my initial statement. I forgot that I have that setting enabled, so that I don't get the accidental position of an application split across the monitors. Sorry that I confused you with that statement. Most of my time in AutoCAD is programming, so I actually have the app window as a small window of the side monitor, and the IDE's up on the front monitor. I then have the help files open on the side monitor too.