PDA

View Full Version : Parent/Child Component Difficulties

tshaffer
2011-05-26, 05:36 PM
Using Acad Electrical 2009 and trying to build schematic component symbols by editing AcadE symbols and doing a "save as" to our company part no. as the name. When doing this for parent/child components, I am not able to get the parent component to call and use the child component as it should. For instance, the parent 3 pole circuit breaker in AcadE is called "Hcb1" and when inserted into schematic it pulls in two additional child CB's called "Hcb2". My custom 3 pole CB's don't do that. My custom parent component populates what should be two more child components with parent components so I end up with 3 parent blocks. I have used the TAG1 attribute in the parent and the TAG2 in the child, but my child object doesn't hold the TAG2 setting. It reverts back to TAG1. Yet the original block that I did the "save as" from holds the TAG2 setting. I am out of ideas and trial and error efforts. Is there an expert out there that can tell me what I am missing? Thx in advance!

anetace
2011-05-27, 09:16 PM
I would suggest that you use Symbol Builder to create your blocks vs. the "save as" method. When you run Symbol Builder you can open an existing component and then "save as" when you get to the Save Symbol dialog.

anetace
2011-06-03, 07:34 PM
Also, when inserting some componets from the Icon menu a command is executed to achive what you are looking for. You will need to setup your new componet(s) in the Icon menu using the Icon Menu Wizard with the approriate command.

RenataP
2011-07-29, 01:02 PM
...For instance, the parent 3 pole circuit breaker in AcadE is called "Hcb1" and when inserted into schematic it pulls in two additional child CB's called "Hcb2". My custom 3 pole CB's don't do that. My custom parent component populates what should be two more child components with parent components so I end up with 3 parent blocks. I have used the TAG1 attribute in the parent and the TAG2 in the child, but my child object doesn't hold the TAG2 setting. ...

Tshaffer,
Are you still having issues with the parent/child symbols?
If so, could you attach your two blocks for me to review, this would help pinpoint the problem. You might be missing an attribute or just a naming change. What is the naming convention for your parent and child blocks?