PDA

View Full Version : opening drawing in ACAD on network causes crash

Maverick91
2011-07-12, 04:16 PM
I'm not a network/IT guru, and I don't play one on TV. I'm a dumb CAD jock -- to me, a server is the cute blond who brings drinks at the bar.

Sometimes when I try to open a drawing in ACAD on our network, my computer locks up. I have to reboot. I don't see a pattern except that maybe I'm clicking though dialog windows faster than my computer or the networks likes. Is this common? Is there a fix?

I'm using Civil3D 2012.

TIA

Spenner
2011-08-01, 11:33 AM
I'm not a network/IT guru, and I don't play one on TV. I'm a dumb CAD jock -- to me, a server is the cute blond who brings drinks at the bar.

Sometimes when I try to open a drawing in ACAD on our network, my computer locks up. I have to reboot. I don't see a pattern except that maybe I'm clicking though dialog windows faster than my computer or the networks likes. Is this common? Is there a fix?

I'm using Civil3D 2012.

TIA

Have you check to see if anyone else can open the same drawings on another machine? I know sometimes when we open large drawings over the network which is saved on another offices server it can cause things to run slower.

On another note the problem maybe with the drawing, something could be corrupted within the drawing or the x-refs.

eea123
2012-08-11, 12:22 PM
See if your IT person (or you) can verify the Opportunistic Locking settings on your server? Opp Locks modifies the way the server sees the file while you are using it. It is going to write a modification to its indexing file while you are loading it. Depending on server load, this can take enough time that a quick "double click" may flag the file as already open by you while it is still trying to write to itself that you have it? Does not compute = blue screen of windows death. I've always thought server Opp Locks was redunant to the OS, but it appears that newer software knows about and can use it. I know AutoCAD 14 and Novell's Opp Locks just left us with hundreds of drawing files still showing as "in use" by the same user days later. I think Windows Server and newer versions of AutoCAD now play nice together.

I'd also have them (or you) review the file size of DWG and associated XREFs. While you are "opening" the file from the network, there is an equivalent file transfer / buffering occurring to your local. Now you have the factors of switches and cabling 10Mip, 100Mip, 1Gb, ? as well as the raw speed of the server.