PDA

View Full Version : How do I model these?

Anthony Rhodes
2011-07-20, 06:54 PM
Attached are the details for 2 types of handicap ramps. I have having a difficult time modeling them. I know how to model an intersection without the ramps but when I add the ramps in the contours in my intersection do not act right. Since I do not have the time to mess with it I just modeled everything without the curb cuts and plan on adding notes pointing to the specific details. This is not optimal and I would like to model it the right way.

Jeff_M
2011-07-21, 02:18 AM
I don't model the ped ramps for construction drawings. If I needed to do so for a presentation model (which this is not something I've been asked to do...yet) I'd probably model a typical ramp (one for each use/curb radii, etc.) using Featurelines. Then insert the appropriate block, exploded, and add the F/L's to the Corridor surface (or, more likely, a FG surface into which the corridor surface was pasted first). I'd have to test this, of course, but it's definitely the approach I'd start with.

Anthony Rhodes
2011-07-21, 01:03 PM
I thought I read somewhere copying objects like feature lines caused problems since Civil 3D names each one. Copying them would mean there would be 2 objects with the same name in the same drawing. This is why you have to use feature line tools to edit feature lines. To avoid the naming problem among other things.

I have also read alot that people are not modeling the things I mentioned my first post. I think for now I will stick with that and see what happens.

Thanks for your help.

brian.hailey933139
2011-07-24, 11:00 PM
I would use the approach Jeff mentioned but with a slight variance to it. I would create a surface for the ramps, and the ramps only, and then past that surface (those surfaces) into the final ground surface.

As for copying objects, most objects in C3D are named but featurelines is one of the exceptions to this rule. I think you would find more issues with site interferances by copying things than from duplicate names.

Anthony Rhodes
2011-07-25, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the ideas gentlemen. I am going to give them a try.

mjfarrell
2011-08-11, 03:05 PM
the actual method, is to insert Sample lines along the curb return alignments (the corridor must be using the curb line as baseline)
Then in the corridor section editor one overrides the curb value, and sidewalk slope values, then the ramp shows up correctly in the model.

dgordon.68443
2012-01-17, 06:13 PM
with the new conditional sub assemblies in 2012 this process got much easier.

Dan

mjfarrell
2012-01-19, 04:46 PM
with the new conditional sub assemblies in 2012 this process got much easier.

Dan

I dont see that adding a conditional assembly for a few ramps has any added benefit over using the section editor for this purpose. As one must define the feature lines and or alignments and profiles for the assembly to use in those instance. As compared to overriding a few assembly values through the ramp(s)