PDA

View Full Version : Surface not updating when feature lines change

Anthony Rhodes
2011-07-22, 01:15 PM
Since I generally just ask questions and never really contribute to the forum I thought I would share a problem and the solution that I have found. Its not what I prefer but at least I will be able to get the job out the door. I have a surface I have been working on that has a corridor and feature lines. When I make a horizantal edit to the feature lines my changes are picked up and added. The problem is the information from the feature line before it was edited is also retained. For instance if I move a feature line 5' south my tin will have the new feature line location and the old one.

What I have found is if I delete all of the break lines from my suface (my feature lines) and then add them back in all of the updates are picked up and the old stuff is gone. The trick I learned was to go into the surface properties under definition and move the breaklines I just re-added up above all of the edits I have made to the surface. In my case I have my corridor in first, then my feature lines, and then any edits I have made to the surface itself.

Thanks for reading,

sinc
2011-07-25, 03:18 PM
I can't seem to duplicate your issue.

My first thought was maybe you had the "Copy deleted dependent objects" option turned on in your Surface Build options, but I tried that, and still could not duplicate your issue.

Anthony Rhodes
2011-07-25, 05:21 PM
I am not real sure either. I think it is a combination of things. The number #1 problem being the user. This is the biggest site I have ever worked on and by far the most complicated. I am comfortable with the program but I would still not consider myself the best. This combiniation has caused me to have to do things different than what should have been probably done. I know you would not want to include my drawings in a best practices paper. I have learned alot and am still getting the project out the door. My next project will be better.

Anthony Rhodes
2011-07-25, 09:35 PM
Seth Hall from Autodesk Support got back with me and came to the same conclusion Sinc and I did. He also told me about a better work around. He said to simply export the surface to a Landxml file and then bring it back into a new drawing. I have not tried it yet but plan to.

sinc
2011-07-27, 12:13 AM
He might've forgotten you have a Corridor in there... Corridors don't really make the round trip to XML. Even Surfaces don't always come back the same way they left.

In any case, make sure you keep a copy of everything before you try anything.

Anthony Rhodes
2011-08-01, 03:01 PM
After thinking things through a little more I decided not to export the surface. I was not sure how hard it would be to manipulate it after the switch.