PDA

View Full Version : Why is this not simple...

blahdc
2011-07-29, 01:52 PM
Sorry if this is a dumb question, after spending a few hours I can't find a simple solution. Maybe someone here can help me out.

I know of both the FDO connect and MAPIMPORT. When I use mapimport it seems like I lose all my data linked to the shape files. When I use FDO connect it will show me the attributes of the shape files.

Is there an easy way to "export" your FDO connect data into an autocad layer? Am I missing a button?

Ed Jobe
2011-07-29, 04:35 PM
When you connect to data via FDO, the features come in on Feature Class Layers, not regular acad layers. You work with feature layers in the Map Task Pane palette. This is the difference between cad and gis.

lkwebster
2011-07-29, 05:39 PM
In the Mapimport screen, under "Data", by default it says <None>. Click on the box that is on the right of <none> and a small window will open up called "Attribute Data". Select the box that says "Create Object Data" and hit OK. Also, you may want to import objects as closed polylines. Now all your GIS data will be converted over to Autocad objects and retain their GIS attribute data. Select any object and check Properties as a double check.

blahdc
2011-07-29, 07:50 PM
When you connect to data via FDO, the features come in on Feature Class Layers, not regular acad layers. You work with feature layers in the Map Task Pane palette. This is the difference between cad and gis.

So there is no possible way to extract a feature class layer? I don't understand why there is not an option for this.

blahdc
2011-07-29, 07:51 PM
In the Mapimport screen, under "Data", by default it says <None>. Click on the box that is on the right of <none> and a small window will open up called "Attribute Data". Select the box that says "Create Object Data" and hit OK. Also, you may want to import objects as closed polylines. Now all your GIS data will be converted over to Autocad objects and retain their GIS attribute data. Select any object and check Properties as a double check.

Awesome, exactly what I was needing! Now I can stop using the dumb FDO connect method.

Jmurphy
2011-07-29, 11:10 PM
So there is no possible way to extract a feature class layer? I don't understand why there is not an option for this.
Extact to what? You can save the map to DWG format creating simple autoCAD lines,polygons, and points or you can save the feature layer to SDF format that you can then import to create the AutoCAD object and Object Data.

blahdc
2011-08-02, 01:22 PM
Extact to what? You can save the map to DWG format creating simple autoCAD lines,polygons, and points or you can save the feature layer to SDF format that you can then import to create the AutoCAD object and Object Data.

Extract to a autocad layer. I used your SDF method and that seems to work as well. Now the only problem I seem to be having is labeling the polygons that are in my drawing. When I click on one it shows the object data in the properties menu. I tried following this guide:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Map-3D/labelling-in-Map-3D/m-p/2137165

When i import the shape file using mapimport I'm making sure to import the data with it. When I go to label it using the above method, it says that it can't find any data tables.

----------EDIT------------------

So I found the most roundabout way to label these things.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Map-3D/Labelling-features-from-object-data/td-p/2531060

I do not follow the logic on the labeling of shapefiles, why does there need to be 10 extra steps to do something so simple. Ugg somedays I don't understand Autocad.

Jmurphy
2011-08-03, 10:14 AM
You need to understand how MAP3D works and the components of it. I like to call MAP3D the 3 in 1 program. You have basic AutoCAD, then AutoCAD MAP (ADE) then Data Connect (FDO) all three are separate parts and work different.
If you are doing a Mapimport then to label you can use Map's annotation blocks, with FDO you use the style editor to label, each one performs different and has pros and cons.