PDA

View Full Version : Transition from one template to another

rkmcswain
2011-09-06, 09:38 PM
We have two templates in use. #1 has the entire pavement section sloped to the left with a ditch on the left side. #2 is the exact opposite, entire pavement section sloped to the right with a ditch on the right side.

So we apply template #1 for a stretch and then switch to template #2, but the problem obviously is we need to transition from one to the other over X number of feet. We realize the pavement will have less than the standard cross slope (and even be flat at some point) during this transition. What is the SOP for doing something like this?

mjfarrell
2011-09-14, 10:45 PM
We have two templates in use. #1 has the entire pavement section sloped to the left with a ditch on the left side. #2 is the exact opposite, entire pavement section sloped to the right with a ditch on the right side.

So we apply template #1 for a stretch and then switch to template #2, but the problem obviously is we need to transition from one to the other over X number of feet. We realize the pavement will have less than the standard cross slope (and even be flat at some point) during this transition. What is the SOP for doing something like this?

RK

Simple

Add a gap of 25-50 feet between the regions where the assembly 1 ends and assembly 2 starts. Or use (X) as governed by your design constraints.
The software will connect the appropriate Point, and Link codes to complete the model for you.

We typically discuss this type of 'transition' within a corridor in all of my Civil 3D class sessions.
The how, and where this is happening is controlled by the CONNECTIONS Tab within the Corridor Properties. Note how the various Feature lines are selected to Connect?

bruce.klug
2011-09-15, 07:57 PM
What version are you using? I think it started in 2011, but I know for sure in 2012 that if you have a gap your corridor will not connect. It will "bridge" across for the surface but you will not see the feature lines connect.
I prefer to use the superelevation to control the EOP. It's a lot easier to adjust your transition locations or rate of change and you don't have to change templates.

Bruce

mjfarrell
2011-09-15, 10:16 PM
There only appears to be a gap. Try this to verify for yourself, increase the sample frequency and the 'gap' will diminish as well.

Ely
2012-05-15, 04:02 PM
RK

Simple

Add a gap of 25-50 feet between the regions where the assembly 1 ends and assembly 2 starts. Or use (X) as governed by your design constraints.
The software will connect the appropriate Point, and Link codes to complete the model for you.

We typically discuss this type of 'transition' within a corridor in all of my Civil 3D class sessions.
The how, and where this is happening is controlled by the CONNECTIONS Tab within the Corridor Properties. Note how the various Feature lines are selected to Connect?

There only appears to be a gap. Try this to verify for yourself, increase the sample frequency and the 'gap' will diminish as well.

I am having the same problem with this. What do you mean by the "connections tab"? Under 'corridor properties>feature lines' I see where you can check the "connect" box to connect feature lines. Is this what you are referring to? If so, I have those boxes check and have increased sample frequency and the "gap" still remains open with no corridor sections. Any idea if this still works with 2012/2013?

mjfarrell
2012-05-15, 04:15 PM
there is going to be a gap, in the corridor sections...as there is no one assembly technically being applied in the trasition station range.

there is another solution to this issue...known as a helper corridor
solves all of the problems at half the price.