PDA

View Full Version : surface from NED strange behavior from views other than top

jhaislip264288
2011-09-30, 02:28 AM
Hi everyone,

I've been trying to import NED 1/9 .adf file into a TIN surface for a couple days now and I have been completely unsuccessful. No matter what method of import I use, the surface I end up with must have something wrong with it because if I try to view it from any perspective other than TOP it completely disappears. I am still very new to AutoCAD, so I apologize if the solution is obvious to other more experienced users.

I attached an example file.

Thanks in advance.

-Josh

mjfarrell
2011-09-30, 09:26 AM
what style do you have assigned to the surface to use in MODEL view?

you most likely need to change the style for MODEL VIEW to have on at least the triangles so there is something for you to see in any view direction other than PLAN view.

Take a closer look at your surface style

jhaislip264288
2011-09-30, 02:02 PM
thanks for the reply.

I did make sure that triangles were shown in model view. I should probably clarify that when I change to views other than TOP I see a single vertical line. If I zoom in on the single vertical line, it becomes many vertical lines close together. It is as if something is wrong with the surface data. However, I get this same result regardless of how I create the surface. Is it something wrong with the NED data downloaded from http://seamless.usgs.gov/ ?

sinc
2011-10-01, 10:27 PM
It looks like your Surface has proper elevations, but all the coordinates are Lat/Long values being interpreted as coordinates. Your entire Surface is only 0.003' x 0.004' in the horizontal direction (or about 1 millimeter square). So your Surface is actually there in the other views, it's just stretched vertically by an enormous amount.

I notice that you have no Coordinate System selected in your Drawing Settings, so that might have something to do with your issue.