PDA

View Full Version : COGO Commands

ccallen
2005-01-17, 09:13 PM
We just switched to Civil 3D. Isn't there a COGO menu?? Where are all the COGO commands??

mjfarrell
2005-01-18, 02:37 PM
Look in the Civil 3D help file for "The Civil Transparent Commands"
These are your COGO commands. Not those LAME commands that
are identified as cogo in the MAP menu. those are not real cogo commands.
They are more or less cogo inquiry commands.

I believe Autodesk, has made 3D as impenetrable as it is to help push the consultancy
services they list for 3D on their web-site. Autodesk is all to happy to send a
consultant your way to help you use this obtuse product. Truthfully, so am I
only I didn't write the product, and make it so tough to access commands and
features.

ccallen
2005-01-18, 06:04 PM
Thanks for this Mike. I've been working with computers/hardware/software for almost 30 years now and at times I get *SO* annoyed! Lately, the desire to YELL at AutoCAD has been overwhelming. Sigh. It's like we pay $5000 (or more) for some software and can't even get a free manual anymore. They may SAY users don't want them, but not any users *I* know. I think Autodesk bases these decisions on two subject users in Outer Mongolia. No offense to anyone in Outer Mongolia.

AAARRRRggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Carolyn ;-)

MHultgren
2005-01-19, 01:59 PM
They have manuals, it's just that with all the tree huggers living around where Autodesk has their office in Northern California, they would rather let those who wish to print them be responsible for destroying the forests.

Don't take this wrong, I beleive in saving the planet too, just use good engineering pratices and conservation. Not by a blanket moratorium to save a forest that was infested by beetles due to overgrowth.

ccallen
2005-01-19, 05:17 PM
I know what you mean. It seems like nothing can be done intelligently. Either we're wiping out 1000 year old, perfectly healthy forests of irreplacable trees to build a shopping mall, or we can't cut down trees on tree farms for fear of offending someone. Stupid. What can I say. Partly I'm just VERY angry at AutoCAD for their general ATTITUDE. Especially to users such as my company. It's like AutoCAD things we're her to support THEM. They hide commands, make it totally unintuitive, bury things etc. etc. to increase their own profit in terms of consulting/training services. They're just a tool to us. None of our other equipment is as hard to figure out as a new version of AutoCAD. None of our other equipment manufacturers would last if they produced tools that were as hard to use, but AutoCAD thinks they don't have to "cater" to their users because they have such an iron-tight grip on their market share. Pfui.