PDA

View Full Version : Fast Copy Method Tip

SCShell
2005-01-19, 05:59 PM
Hey there,
I don't know how long this one's been around; however, I just discovered a really cute way to copy anything.
Select any item or object (or multiple items), hold down the 'control' key and then simply drag the item to be copied and placed. You can still rotate the item by pressing the space bar after you place the copy without having to hold the 'control' key by the way.
I thought it was pretty cool!

Hope this helps
Steve

jbalding48677
2005-01-19, 07:15 PM
Hey there,
I don't know how long this one's been around
Steve
to answer that question 1.0. The only reason I know is it used to drive me nuts... Loving it now of course.

bclarch
2005-01-19, 07:30 PM
This gives me an idea. There are a number of little features like this that are part of Revit that help make the program easier or more efficient to use. There are so many of these that it often takes a user some time to discover them on their own. Perhaps there should be one thread in the Tips & Tricks called "Useful Little Things to Know" (or something like that) where all of these types of things could be posted in one place. I would suggest that it be a locked, sticky thread that only moderators could add items to based on suggestions from all of us. Some items that I would include are using the space bar to flip or rotate items on placement, tabbing to select items, use of control / shift / zoom function. What do you think?

Scott D Davis
2005-01-19, 07:33 PM
love it! Just had such a thread started over in General, called Golden Rules for Revit (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=13473), which I hope to assemble into a list in T&Ts!

LRaiz
2005-01-19, 07:38 PM
Select any item or object (or multiple items), hold down the 'control' key and then simply drag the item to be copied and placed. Copying via CTRL+Drag is a convention that Microsoft tries to encourage/enforce for most Windows applications. For example it works in Word. As I type this response I tried and confirmed that it works in IE as well. We did not do much to advertise it because we assumed (should've known better) that users already know common Windows conventions.

Scott D Davis
2005-01-19, 08:38 PM
that users already know common Windows conventions.
does that include security flaws and blue screens of death?

Dimitri Harvalias
2005-01-19, 09:19 PM
does that include security flaws and blue screens of death?
Security 'features' and blue 'sceensaver' of death
From the desk of Microsft Support Services (yes, we can monitor all your computer communications) :twisted:

Merlin
2005-01-20, 04:35 AM
This gives me an idea. There are a number of little features like this that are part of Revit that help make the program easier or more efficient to use. There are so many of these that it often takes a user some time to discover them on their own. Perhaps there should be one thread in the Tips & Tricks called "Useful Little Things to Know" (or something like that) where all of these types of things could be posted in one place. I would suggest that it be a locked, sticky thread that only moderators could add items to based on suggestions from all of us. Some items that I would include are using the space bar to flip or rotate items on placement, tabbing to select items, use of control / shift / zoom function. What do you think?

As a novice user who can only learn from trial and error use at the office and through these forums, I think it's a G-R-E-A-T idea!

SCShell
2005-01-20, 02:50 PM
Hey there,

I agree! A new thread for these little "tidbits" would be great. I am familiar with a lot of the Windows tricks; however, I never assumed that they would work in Revit. I usually come across these little tricks by accident when in a rush.
A new thread would be a great place to see all of these types of time savers without feeling dumb by posting it as a great new find, only to find out that it was already common knowledge. (Since 1.0 Jim??? Now I feel a little silly; but, it proves my point!)

Let's rock with this one folks. (pointed over to Scott!)
Steve

J. Grouchy
2005-01-20, 06:04 PM
One thing I take advantage a lot is the "middle-mouse-button-and-shift-key-to-dynamically-rotate-the-model" commant. For some reason, most people who see me do it didn't realize you could do it that way. I suppose they've all been clicking the eyeball icon or something. To me, if you can use the keyboard and mouse in tandem...it's usually easier and faster than clicking icons and menu items.

The middle mouse button/ctrl key works to zoom, also...but the scrolling action on the mouse beats it.

SCShell
2005-01-21, 02:49 AM
I'm with you Grav8e. I do the same. I get that kind of reaction too when I type "zx" to zoom to fit. Simple and fast, but little know a guess.

These are the type of tips that should be listed and somehow categorized. *(Jeez, first we scream for the exchange and before it's done, I'm asking for this!)
Oh well.
Steve

Merlin
2005-01-24, 07:14 AM
I'm with you Grav8e. I do the same. I get that kind of reaction too when I type "zx" to zoom to fit. Simple and fast, but little know a guess.

These are the type of tips that should be listed and somehow categorized. *(Jeez, first we scream for the exchange and before it's done, I'm asking for this!)
Oh well.
Steve

Scott posted an interesting bit recently that you might like.....You'll find a file "keyboardshortcuts.txt" (I think that's the right name) that you can find all the existing shortcuts, modify them and add your own. I also use the hotkeys wherever possible

John Mc