PDA

View Full Version : Filled regions for Family creation

Phil Palmer
2003-05-12, 10:51 AM
I would like to request that we can have filled regions as an option when creating certain families.

Eg - A toilet WC family.
I would like to be able to define a filled region to 'Mask' the toilet in its front elevation symbolic view.
That way I do not need to have a 3d view of the WC to do the masking for me and I can easily obscure any wall tiling etc. behind the WC pan.

Loading a detail component into the WC family is a way round this problem but not the best method in my opinion as I dont want to change 2 families to do the same job.

Any thoughts ?

PeterJ
2003-05-12, 12:26 PM
Phil

I agree with this one. The problem with 3D stuff in sanitary ware and some other families is that much of what we have demonstrates the limitations of Revit when it comes to highly refined 3D modelling so many of the families are NURBS surfaces from AutoCAD or something similar and you can end up with something that shows all the faces of the original mesh. The vanity units that are available in the modern medium library are a good example of this, people often ask me what the spider's webs on my drawings are.

A simple filled regio would be excellent in this instance because things would render smoothly but a drawing would retain its clarity.

P

Scott Hopkins
2003-05-21, 09:37 PM
I have asked Revit for this one as well

PeterJ
2004-03-07, 07:59 PM
Am I right in thinking this still has not been addressed?

I have looked at the following post

http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=903&highlight=family+hide

and although there are suggestions as to how to achieve this it seems problematic. When I try and introduce a symbol into a family it remains scaled at 1:1 as it is designed to be constant in views regardless of scales. Am I using the wrong component type?

mlgatzke
2004-03-08, 03:51 AM
I've asked for this as well. Particularly with an opaque capability - thus allowing the user to "block" out anything behind the filled region.

beegee
2004-03-08, 04:27 AM
You can already load a filled region into a family as a detail component.

In the case of toilets and sinks, this may be tedious to achieve the correct fill profile, so the wish is certainly valid, in that it would be useful to place a filled region directly from within the family by tracing the linework of the family, rather than setting up a parametric filled profile to do the job.

christopher.zoog51272
2004-03-08, 03:48 PM
I'd be happy they would just bring back the ability to uncheck "3d" in the visabiliy dialouge, ala revit 2.0.

But filled regions would be best. :)