PDA

View Full Version : Elevation Value

r7_human8y
2011-11-25, 12:47 AM
hi, i just want to ask something if it is possible that my northing-easting point distancaes are in millimeters and my point elevation value is in meters. do civil 3d has a command or can we force civil 3d to read/convert my elevation point value into millimeters? so that there will be consistency in units when i do cut and fill diagram? pls see attached txt file.

mjfarrell
2011-11-25, 05:25 PM
yes, create an EXPRESSION to multiply your point elevations by 100, and return a value of elevation, and use that for the point elevation labels, if I understand what you are after (I probably don't)
Please provide a sample of what you are calling a Cut/fill diagram so that I can give you a better answer.

r7_human8y
2011-11-26, 04:47 PM
yes, create an EXPRESSION to multiply your point elevations by 100, and return a value of elevation, and use that for the point elevation labels, if I understand what you are after (I probably don't)
Please provide a sample of what you are calling a Cut/fill diagram so that I can give you a better answer.

hi mjfarrell, what i mean is i have a PNEZD file... the Northing and Easting Horizontal distance from point to point is base on millimeter units because my dwg topo drawing are scaled based on millimeters. but i inputed a cogo points through manual input, give the elevation value in meters because i forgot that my drawing file is in millimeters. Thats why when i export it as PNEZD delimited txt file, i know the point elevation is wrong. i want to convert or change it to meters instead of millimeters manually, but i figured out that there are many points, it will take me some time to change. thats why i was wondering if there is a command in CIVIL 3D, that we will let the software recognize the point elevation in meters but convert it to millimeters for me because the template unit i set and using is in millimeters. is it possible? thank you so much.

mjfarrell
2011-11-26, 05:33 PM
If I understand what you are after it's fairly easy.

I imported your different point sets into unique groups in a file started from the Metric DWT

I create one each surface for the data

I create a volume surface using the Topo points as the Base

And the Bldg Pad as the Compare

I then go to the Toolbox and create a Surface report of the Volume Surface

I save as CSV

I import the resulting CSV file in as another unique point group

I created an EXPRESSION that takes the point Elevation and mutilplies by 10 (This might need to be 100)

I Formatted the Expresssion as DOUBLE

I create a Point Label Style and Set the Point Elevation to use the Expression formated as Cetimeters

All points shown for Cut and or Fill are now in MM (or should be)

I'll post a Video for you if that helps. http://primeservicesglobal.com/tutorials/expressions.mp4

dgordon.68443
2012-01-26, 01:28 PM
the simplest way to handle this is not with C3D.

Civil 3D must have units as feet or meters. It has no other units available.

the millimeter values have to be changed to meter values to work in C3D.

open the point file in excel or some spread sheet program and convert the values to the proper units.

export the file to csv comma delimited format and import to C3D.

to import into c3d make sure you open a meters template.

I realize this is too late to help the original poster, but it may help someone else in the future.

peace out,

Dan

mjfarrell
2012-01-26, 01:53 PM
the simplest way to handle this is not with C3D.

Civil 3D must have units as feet or meters. It has no other units available.

the millimeter values have to be changed to meter values to work in C3D.

open the point file in excel or some spread sheet program and convert the values to the proper units.

export the file to csv comma delimited format and import to C3D.

to import into c3d make sure you open a meters template.

I realize this is too late to help the original poster, but it may help someone else in the future.

peace out,

Dan

hi, i just want to ask something if it is possible that my northing-easting point distancaes are in millimeters and my point elevation value is in meters. do civil 3d has a command or can we force civil 3d to read/convert my elevation point value into millimeters? so that there will be consistency in units when i do cut and fill diagram? pls see attached txt file.

Did you read the ORIGINAL request? The user wanted to desplay the information in MILLIMETERS.
Please note the even IF one starts a drawing using a Metric or even an Imperial units file one is
limited to using the following units for Point elevations within a Point Label Style:
Foot
Meter
Mile
Kilometer
Inch
Yard
Centimeter
Decimeter

So one must use the process described to get MILLIMETERS as units; as they are not a native setting within C3D.