PDA

View Full Version : Basic BIM model construction

ebow3d707219
2012-01-11, 02:47 AM
Hi, just a basic question to the more experienced BIM people out there.

I am in the process of building an 8 story office building in Revit. Someone tells me that one should have a separate model file for each floor. The reason for that being that its easier to navigate.

This sounds like a lot of unnecessary work to me, especially as I can manage to easily navigate the model in Naviswork.

What is the norm?

Antonio.hernandez329152
2012-01-11, 06:38 PM
I've heard about that somewhere...I cant imagine the headache you would get trying to create schedules, room counts, take offs, Construction Documents, and creating 8 central files and publishing shared coordinates. The only reason I can think of for someone to go down this route is that they're office still used the Pentium 4 Processors with 2GB of ram with a 512mb Graphics card. If you have a i7 processor 16GB memory with a 2GB DDR3 system then 8 floors wont be a problem. Good luck:beer:

david.kingham
2012-01-11, 07:28 PM
That's old school thinking of how it was done in ADT, in Revit you should do it as one model. Some people set up section boxes in revit for each floor and export these separately to Navisworks