PDA

View Full Version : Update Fields in Titleblocks w/ Sheet Set

DWS44
2005-01-22, 10:47 PM
OK...I'm new to SSM, and working on setting one up for the first time.

I've read and read and can't track down this particular problem. I created a Sheet Set from an existing set of plans (27 sheets). In the SSM, I have created several custom properties, some owned by the Sheet Set overall, and some by the sheets themselves.

Our standard processes includes several different titleblocks, so we have them setup as seperate files that we insert into our drawings needed. In the past, these titleblock files were setup with Attributes, so I continued using the attributes in my test titleblock...only substituting fields tied to their prospective custom attributes.

Next...I deleted all titleblocks out of the 27 sheets in the test project, and completely purged the drawings before inserting the new ones. I've defined all the custom properties for both the Sheet Set, and the custom properties for the sheets themselves. I then inserted the new titleblock into each drawing, saved, and closed.

As each titleblock was inserted, I noted that the fields picked up the properties, just as they should! I got real excited that it worked!

Now...time to try changing the values and see how well they auto-updated...and this it where it gets strange. 11 of the 27 drawings update perfectly...any time a change is made to any of the properties, the fields update perfectly on REGEN. On the other 16 drawings, none of them update...only continuing to show the values they had upon insertion of the titleblock. If I ATTEDIT them and hit OK, they will update to the current values., but won't change automatically. By all outside appearances, I cannot see anything different in the 11 that work and the 16 that don't.

Anyone have any suggestions? Any drawing setting that could keep this from working in a particular file, yet work perfectly in another?

Thanks!
Dave Smith
Delta Airport Consultants, Inc.
Charlotte, NC

Mike.Perry
2005-01-22, 10:54 PM
Hi Dave

Please note I've *moved* this thread from the AutoCAD 2005 (http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51) Forum to this one....

Thanks, Mike

Forum Moderator

DWS44
2005-01-23, 05:19 PM
After posting that, I went back thru Help looking for any variables pertaining to fields and finally stumbled upon the FIELDEVAL system variable and that did the trick.

As I posted above, some worked and others didn’t. When I checked that variable, I found that the drawings were all over the place...the ones not working, were set to 4, the ones that did were set to 31. When I went back and set them all to 31, they all worked perfectly.

Seems odd that a system variable like that could vary between drawings, but at least it fixed the problem I was having! Just thought I would post up what I found in case anyone else has the same problem.

Thanks!

Tom Beauford
2005-01-31, 01:51 PM
The Options dialog box has an interface for that on the User Preferences tab. Hit the Field Update Settings... button and check all to set FIELDEVAL to 31. In Autocad help => Command Reference => System Variables you can look at each of the system vars and see if they are saved in the registry, in the drawing, or not at all.