PDA

View Full Version : 2011 No 3D Faces Found

Ely
2012-02-09, 12:59 PM
Hello. I am trying to import a "DTM" file into my Lecia Viva data collector. I have created the corridor and a surface for FP that I am looking to upload to my collector. The only format that I can figure out for this transfer is a .DXF. When I try and read the DXF to the collector I get an error message of "No 3D Faces can be found in the dxf file". I totally understand this could be an error in how the Viva software is trying to read the file. The main question I have is there any type of manipulation that could be done to the surface in the DXF that would make another software read or not read the 3D Faces?

This is my first corridor and surface. The only indication that I have built everything correctly is that the proper elevation is displayed when I hover over the corridor surface...sorry in advance if this should have been posted in the corridor thread.

Any comments would be helpful...Thanks

mjfarrell
2012-02-09, 01:08 PM
I'm going to suggest that first you verify that you have a corridor surface.
Can you See countours for the corridor surface?
Next, edit the STYLE oo apply a Style to the corridor surface that is ONLY TRIANGLES
Then select that corridor surface
and From the Right Side of the Ribbon find EXTRACT OBJECTS
Select the Triangles
And then perform your DXF operation.

Ely
2012-02-09, 01:34 PM
Awesome. Thanks. This at least got me to the next step. Collector accepted the triangles, just need to see if they work for staking to a DTM. Thanks again. Huge Help.

mjfarrell
2012-02-09, 01:39 PM
Awesome. Thanks. This at least got me to the next step. Collector accepted the triangles, just need to see if they work for staking to a DTM. Thanks again. Huge Help.

Will that data collector NOT accept a(n) LandXML version of the corridor surface?

Ely
2012-02-09, 01:45 PM
The only option it gives when when importing DTM data is a DXF, so Im guessing no as of right now. XML seems like it would be a much easier choice as you can kick that right out of c3d. Its just an extra step to have to save your dwg as a dxf. I am also getting machine control next week for a grader. Hoping that will accept a XML.

mjfarrell
2012-02-09, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the follow up to that question.
To my knowledge most machine control devices will read XML.
I've worked with a few large grading and paving contractors on integrating C3D into their operations for survey and machine contol applications.

Ely
2012-02-09, 02:52 PM
You might have a few more questions headed your way. ha. Yeah this is all a learning process for me. I have used c3d for general survey calcs for about 2 years, now im diving into the modeling so we can feed it to the machines. Do you find it to be a better alternative to some of the other prep software; Carlson etc?

mjfarrell
2012-02-09, 02:58 PM
You might have a few more questions headed your way. ha. Yeah this is all a learning process for me. I have used c3d for general survey calcs for about 2 years, now im diving into the modeling so we can feed it to the machines. Do you find it to be a better alternative to some of the other prep software; Carlson etc?

I can only judge that based on the fact that those I've provided training for; have needed the training as they moved away from those other platforms.

As I do not work for or sell autodesk products, I'll let those people do their own marketing beyond the above statement.