PDA

View Full Version : Forcing multiple lines of Text in Annotation Symbols

luigi
2005-01-25, 02:02 PM
I am not often in the Tips and Tricks section, so I am not sure if this was covered (and I apologize for Beegee for not searching this forum before writing this:Oops: )

How often have you been frustrated when you wanted to have multiple lines within a Title of a drawing, or any other Annotation Symbol? (or any text that is part of a component)

Well, all you have to do is enter into the component, or view property (it usually doesn't work on the screen) and where you want a hard return just press "Ctrl-Enter" and that is all.

You don't need to create multiple View Titles with a smaller or longer text width, you don't need to add text above the smart Revit component.

If you didn't know, please enjoy...

rodneyf
2005-01-25, 03:19 PM
Luigi,
You just made my decade with this tip. I may actually be able to grow some of the hair that I ripped out.

Thanks,

hdjohnson
2005-01-25, 04:43 PM
That is a great tip. Thanks for posting it.

Wes Macaulay
2005-01-25, 05:12 PM
Wow. Cool, man - that's a great tip.

sfaust
2005-01-25, 05:32 PM
Sweet! <-that's not enough characters to post by itself so I'm adding more...

ghunter.81514
2005-07-06, 08:59 AM
Nice one Luigi, I'm writing my next novel with Revit

mikemck
2005-07-11, 07:21 PM
I have the opposite problem. How do I force one line when the title tag has two?

Scott Hopkins
2005-07-11, 07:44 PM
I have the opposite problem. How do I force one line when the title tag has two?
Make a revision to the titleblock family so that it has only one line and then reload the titleblock into your project.

wmullett
2006-12-08, 06:52 PM
I tried this in 9.1 but it doesn't seem to work. Am I doing something wrong or has this changed?

JamesVan
2006-12-11, 07:09 PM
I also tried this on a sheet name in 9.1 and it did not work.

dhurtubise
2006-12-11, 07:54 PM

Can't you just get the label zone bigger ?

luigi
2006-12-11, 11:31 PM
Ok, I have 9.1 and "Sheet Name" and "View Name" do not work.
"Title on Sheet" and "Room name" works

I also tried this on a sheet name in 9.1 and it did not work.

cdatechguy
2007-10-12, 06:23 PM
Resurrecting a post.....

Seems this does not work in 9.1.....is there anything that can be done for 2008? :?

Alex Page
2008-06-24, 11:23 PM
Doesnt work "Sheet name" in 2009 either...what are people doing to overcome this...its a real embarassment for me to explain to users to use lots of spaces

Elmo
2008-06-27, 07:17 AM
Tip of the century!

barathd
2008-06-27, 05:39 PM
T h a n k y o u ever so much. Trying not to get worked up about this ... ... but how ??? ??? could this go undocumented for so long???

Gadget Man
2008-06-30, 06:34 AM
T h a n k y o u ever so much. Trying not to get worked up about this ... ... but how ??? ??? could this go undocumented for so long???

Perhaps because it is... NOT just the Revit's feature - it works in some other Windows-based programs too, e.g. even Skype.

clay_hickling
2008-06-30, 07:24 AM
Doesnt work "Sheet name" in 2009 either...what are people doing to overcome this...its a real embarassment for me to explain to users to use lots of spaces

Try it with 'Title on sheet'

luigi
2008-06-30, 08:54 PM
Correct....Ctrl-Enter is just a windows HARD Return.... because it is considered a non alpha-numeric character, it can't be used for some of the Data in Revit....it doesn't work for actual names, but it will allow you to place it on "Title on sheets", etc., but not view/sheet names.

Perhaps because it is... NOT just the Revit's feature - it works in some other Windows-based programs too, e.g. even Skype.

wmullett
2008-08-22, 06:41 PM
This looked great for a tight room name in plan until we saw we had two lines for our room name in the room finish schedule..... wasn't good!

charliep
2008-09-16, 10:47 AM
i've been searching for something like this, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work with tags. Using 2009. Tried it with Room Tags, Window Tags & Door tags.

saeborne
2008-10-16, 02:36 PM
I've just tried this in Revit 2009. Doesn't seem to work anymore.

I get the following error message (see attached)

Anyone know a good work around?

Edit... Seems to work with Room names and Area Names... but not sheet names or view names.

Anyone know a work around for sheets / view names?

dgreen.49364
2008-10-16, 11:09 PM
Interesting...I am using Revit 2009 and it does work for me...view titles, door tags room tags, everything.

luigi
2008-10-17, 02:00 AM
I would work with door tags and room tags(actually not in the tags themselves, but in the property box, or in the schedule for rooms and doors...then it gets reported properly in the tag), but it shouldn't work with view titles, unless you mean the "Title on Sheet" the View name (or View Title) is almost like a filename, it doesn't accept non-printing characters...here is the message you get if you try:

Name cannot contain any of the following characters:
\ : { } [ ] | ; < > ? ` ~
or any of the non-printable characters.

Most text parameters accept characters, so the CTRL-ENTER will work (which adds a special characters that directs the line to Return)

Rooms will accept the hard-return, but then in the room finish schedule the room name will be forced to be a minimum of 2 lines (which works for some, but not for all)

So you can do nothing with "view names" or "sheet names"...but you can with "Title on Sheet", which ultimately does the trick for the view on a sheet

Interesting...I am using Revit 2009 and it does work for me...view titles, door tags room tags, everything.

saeborne
2008-10-17, 02:32 PM
So you can do nothing with "view names" or "sheet names"...but you can with "Title on Sheet", which ultimately does the trick for the view on a sheet

Ahh! Veeeerrrry tricky!

Thanks for the clarification!

charliep
2008-10-20, 08:40 AM
It looks tro me that this is a serious requirement but a bit hit & miss. It seems to work for some but not others. Could it be an XP versus Vista issue rather than a Revit? I'm using XP pro and it doesn't work for me, how about the rest?

saeborne
2008-10-20, 01:21 PM
It looks tro me that this is a serious requirement but a bit hit & miss. It seems to work for some but not others. Could it be an XP versus Vista issue rather than a Revit? I'm using XP pro and it doesn't work for me, how about the rest?

We are using XP pro, and it works for us....

But... It didn't work for me, for a very long time. For example, I would click on the blue text in a room tag, and when I hit ctrl-enter, it would complete editing the text, and I would say, "WTF?"

And then I realized, this trick doesn't work when you update the tag. Instead, you have to select the room element, go to element properties, and actually update the parameter in the properties window. For some reason, doesn't work in the tag itself.

Hope that clarification helps for you.

Bryan

charliep
2008-10-20, 01:50 PM
Thanks Bryan,

That does work, however, it does show another issue, at leat for me. The spacing between the parameters. When using a standard single line for the tags I have the room number, name & area nicely spaced. When I force a double line for the room name one line of the name overlaps the room number. Any suggestions?

saeborne
2008-10-20, 02:58 PM
Sounds like you need to edit the room tag family.

While editting, select the "Room Name" label and edit the properties.
Set the "Vertical Align" parameter to "Bottom."

See attached.

nsinha73
2008-10-20, 04:56 PM
Wow...thanks dude.....Made my day!!!

tarch
2008-10-21, 10:38 AM
Thanks Bryan,

That does work, however, it does show another issue, at leat for me. The spacing between the parameters. When using a standard single line for the tags I have the room number, name & area nicely spaced. When I force a double line for the room name one line of the name overlaps the room number. Any suggestions?

I think that when room name tag label "horizontal justification" is set to Bottom, text line will grow upwards. At least that's how it is with titleblock sheet name.