PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Un-delete a COGO Point

CADDmanVA
2012-03-08, 02:55 PM
Aside from re-importing a fieldbook file, how can a COGO point be restored after being deleted? A few points from a surface I'm working on were removed, and they need to be added back in. The files are pretty ancient, and I'm afraid re-importing the fieldbook files will introduce more problems than what I'm already facing. Thanks in advance for any advice offered :beer:

Richard McDonald
2012-03-08, 03:33 PM
This is a bit of a guess as I dont generally deal with cogo points.

In the prospector surfaces => surface name => Definitions => Edits.

There are a list of edits down the bottom. On mine it shows all the lines I've deleted and swapped I dont know if it shown cogo points.

you can right click and delete the deletion.

CADDmanVA
2012-03-08, 06:26 PM
Well now, isn't that a simple fix? That will work on the one project, the other doesn't have a surface (it's not in the scope), so do you have any suggestions on retrieving points in that one?

mjfarrell
2012-03-09, 07:18 AM
Well now, isn't that a simple fix? That will work on the one project, the other doesn't have a surface (it's not in the scope), so do you have any suggestions on retrieving points in that one?

As there is no surface for this project, re-importing the point file should be the most direct fix.

If it is for only a few points one could use the create misc point operation, and enter their coordinates, and other information.

If they were created from an Import Survey operation, unless the points were edited to delete them from the file....a Rt-Click on the points collection of the survey event will allow one to insert the points back into the file.

I'm not sure about how you got the data or how it was removed/deleted....

jpaulsen
2012-03-09, 03:17 PM
The files are pretty ancient, and I'm afraid re-importing the fieldbook files will introduce more problems than what I'm already facing.

You could import the files into another drawing and then grab just the points you need. Not sure if copy/paste works well on points. If it were me I would export the ones I need to an ASCII file then import them into the original drawing.

mjfarrell
2012-03-09, 09:36 PM
creating a group and exporting/transferring the points might be better than copy and paste

although, I would still use the Survey Tab, Import event Points collection, and just rt-click and insert the points to the drawing (given they still exist in the FBK file

CADDmanVA
2012-03-10, 01:58 AM
As there is no surface for this project, re-importing the point file should be the most direct fix.

If it is for only a few points one could use the create misc point operation, and enter their coordinates, and other information.

If they were created from an Import Survey operation, unless the points were edited to delete them from the file....a Rt-Click on the points collection of the survey event will allow one to insert the points back into the file.

I'm not sure about how you got the data or how it was removed/deleted....

I'm not 100% sure how points are imported either :Oops:. (Forgive me, this is my first month with a new firm.) Our data collectors output raw data, which then gets converted to a PNEZD file. I tried the re-import method you suggest, but it nukes any adjustments to the rotation and label location when the data is merged.

The point was deleted by a simple click and delete, or using the erase command.

You could import the files into another drawing and then grab just the points you need. Not sure if copy/paste works well on points. If it were me I would export the ones I need to an ASCII file then import them into the original drawing.

That's a great idea, but I'm not sure if that would work. C3D likes keeping databases and links to everything, and I think that operation would cause it to freak out a bit. I'll have to give it a whack though.

creating a group and exporting/transferring the points might be better than copy and paste although, I would still use the Survey Tab, Import event Points collection, and just rt-click and insert the points to the drawing (given they still exist in the FBK file

Thanks for the feedback too. It seems like this is a variation of the other suggestion. The guy training me prefers to not use FBK files for "X" reason. I will ask one of the other guys who use FBKs and see what experience he has had with this.

mjfarrell
2012-03-10, 04:47 AM
there are a couple of lessons herein

ONE

LOCK your points, so they can not be deleted so casually

Import the points into a NEW file
create a Group that consists of only the points you need
Export/Transfer them
Bring them into the file they are missing in

Most likely the other guy doesn't like importing through the Survey database; because it makes it too hard to edit (delete) point data. So he is trading ease for security of the data.

CADDmanVA
2012-03-12, 11:54 PM
LOCK your points, so they can not be deleted so casually

Yup, that's becoming a normal habit for me :|

Most likely the other guy doesn't like importing through the Survey database; because it makes it too hard to edit (delete) point data. So he is trading ease for security of the data.

Bingo! I think it also has to do with importing the points without setting up a full database is faster for most small projects.

mjfarrell
2012-03-13, 10:12 AM
Yup, that's becoming a normal habit for me :|

Bingo! I think it also has to do with importing the points without setting up a full database is faster for most small projects.

Given that it takes one less than 300 seconds to do this, I can't see the savings of not doing it being of any value over the security of the data.

CADDmanVA
2012-03-13, 11:44 AM
Given that it takes one less than 300 seconds to do this, I can't see the savings of not doing it being of any value over the security of the data.

I didn't know it was that easy (bear with me, I'm a wiz at vanilla, but I'm still learning C3D). I won't disagree with you that doing it the right way is always better (I'm a CADD standard evangelist), but you know how some can be.