PDA

View Full Version : Revit MEP or CAD mep+ ???

tim.jenner474981
2012-03-19, 09:31 AM
We are a mechanical contracting company considering whether we should acquire CAD mep+ and FAB mep for use in creating our HVAC shop detail drawings. What are the forums experiences with Revit MEP as far as creating shop drawings goes? We are told CAD mep+ is far more efficient and that we can convert this file back to Revit when we need to send to the customer. If anyone has any experience, we would be grateful to receive your input.

tim.winnington205328
2012-03-21, 04:01 AM
Tim,
There are certainly advantages for both programs. We have mainly been developing shop drawings in Revit but are currently developing our CADMEP standards as the workshop is keen to utilise the direct imput available from CADMEP. Revit is able to build a full 3D model of the entire building with sections and risers fully detailed and hopefully connected. CADMEP, from experience, handles similar to 2D with individual drawings/files for each floor and risers etc. The problem we found when compiling this back into Revit it makes an extreme large RVT file. You are able to substite to reduce duplicate families but this is time consuming.

The synergy between the two programs will improve (I hope) now Autodesk has aquired TSI.

I would reccomend checking out BIMMEP aus as they have just released version one addressing the interface between the two programs.

magnolouis749573
2012-06-21, 04:48 PM
I'm new in AUGI but im a very familiar with this issue. For an MEP contractor it would be better to go for Autocad MEP i think what's holding back the AcadMEP is because of the traditional 2D file submission if the Construction/Engineering industry will embrace the Virtual Capabilties of both Revit & Autocad MEP all projects will be as per the 3D Model from Design stage thru shop drawing as well as As-built. I do both 2D/3D MEP drawings including Building Models utilizing Autocad MEp architecture only.

:)
Magz.