PDA

View Full Version : what is this thing called 'BIM'?

Maverick91
2012-04-02, 09:30 PM
I've gotten one or two or a hundred inquires about BIM. My project managers and our client's project managers want to do our projects 'in BIM'. How should I explain to them what BIM is?

bbeck
2012-04-02, 10:29 PM
I've gotten one or two or a hundred inquires about BIM. My project managers and our client's project managers want to do our projects 'in BIM'. How should I explain to them what BIM is?

There is no one definition of what BIM, Building Information Modeling is. It varies based upon where in the project heirarchy you live. BIM to our designers is different then our job captains, project architects and construction administrators. Ask a Facilites Manager what is BIM and they may have a completely different perspective. It's the "I" in BIM that is hard to nail down. Most people just think it's 3D modeling, not true. An easy starting point is to look at the AIA E202 documents.

Wanderer
2012-04-03, 04:59 PM
Yeah, ask the FM, we have crazy ideas about BIM. ;-)

BIM - collaborative process, utilizing data-rich models

The specifics are going to be by user after that, of course.
The 'client reps' (occupants and project managers) would be fine with a model LOD 100, thrown into navisworks, so clash detection and scheduling gets them in on time, they don't care if the subs talk to each other or not.
An FM (the people that get stuck taking care of what the PM's build) would want LOD 300 on MEPFP components, and LOD 200 on most architectural components (with the exceptions of special walls and windows like MRI's and OR's), and I want everything to be consistent across all disciplines.

BIM is all about the collaboration, though. Trading information in a common enough format that everyone is on the same page. Discovering problems before they hit the field and cost the owner money.

Valkin
2012-04-08, 12:09 AM
In basics make sure that whoever you are talking to realize that it is not a program. It is a methodology of gathering and documenting building information. What information and how it is being documented depends on who you are talking to. AIA's LOD begin to touch on what information is being collected, but not by any means is it all inclusive.

david_peterson
2012-04-09, 05:44 PM
Once thing to ask your clients and tell your managers...
Currently there are several programs that help the BIM process really well. Autocad isn't one of them.
So when the client says "I want you to do a BIM model, but I need my record drawings in Autocad format and I want them to my standard"; be sure your management understands what that mean. While you can press a button to covert a sheet from Revit to Acad, what you get isn't that great IHMO. And depending on what the Clients cad standard says and requires, it can be a very lengthy, and time consuming process.
ie So Make sure you get paid for it.

Brian Myers
2012-04-15, 12:20 AM
While there are multiple ways to describe "BIM", your best bet is to glaze over it with the 10,000' overview while keeping the conversation focused on easing the issues that individual is facing. It's easy to fall into the trap of "it's a process" or "its a 3D model". Sure it is... but that's NOT the focus area of this discussion. Conversations on changing processes and doing things in a totally different manner can be frightening and cause a defensive reaction. You need to be careful not to scare the people across the table as "change" is often a difficult thing to drop your defenses to. On the other hand, particularly for those higher on the ladder or more experienced, we're used to discussions on saving money, decreasing mistakes, running projects more smoothly.

I believe when discussing BIM we need to advance one step at a time (example: we're going to use "BIM" because it's going to reduce the issues like we had on the Acme project... it will detect that interference condition before it happens). That's more effective than going into the 3D modeling, discussing the BIM process, and generally making them feel like they need to change everything they do. Sure that realization will still need to occur, but it will be easier to accept if that value is on the table first and "change" is subtly introduced into their life.

BIM is still practicing our trade, it's just putting the same information we're used to into a building model... which can then generate similar drawings as we're used to but are better coordinated and/or with less work. (Yes, BIM is MUCH more than that, but describing BIM doesn't need to be the same to all people.... but they need to be on the same page in terms of WHY they are doing it... to give them job security, to do their jobs better, to win more work... and let THEM come to that conclusion without you preaching it).