PDA

View Full Version : Lobby refinishing

ledis_nomad1817
2003-10-27, 04:35 PM
This is my first post, so I would like to introduce myself very briefly. I am a fairly new Revit user: my firm just started using Revit 6 months ago and I was on the first team that used it on a full-blown project - affordable housing, three buildings, 64 units total, of which two are wood-frame (8 and 9 units each) and the other is 47 units, steel and masonry.

The image here is actually from the second project I did using Revit, a very small lobby refinishing - new wallpaper, chair rail, lighting fixtures, built-in planters, and storefront vestibule entry.

Please let me know what you think! I'd love feedback.

gregcashen
2003-10-27, 05:40 PM
Revit 6, huh? How is it? As good as we all hope?

Scott D Davis
2003-10-27, 06:28 PM
I think he said:

"my firm just started using Revit, 6 months ago"

not

"my firm just started using Revit 6, months ago"

gregcashen
2003-10-27, 08:09 PM
No, he clearly said:

...my firm just started using Revit 6...

:D

Steve_Stafford
2003-10-27, 08:11 PM
Greg...get the wax out of your ears :lol: he said 6...months ago...

Strike that wax/ear thing...sorry, that was unkind...

Come on, you're just trying to come over all nice now. Make us see you as some sweet tempered moderator type. PeterJ am not!

David Conant
2003-10-27, 09:00 PM
I remember that lobby. I worked for 3 years at the firm in that building. Perhaps ledis works there now? Back then we thought 486 dx2's with 120mb hard drives were hot stuff.

gregcashen
2003-10-27, 10:04 PM
As an engineer, I accept that my sense of humor is generally bad, but I never thought it was this bad! :(

Steve_Stafford
2003-10-27, 11:31 PM
We got it Greg, we were trying to be funny too...great success all round!!

Since none of us attempted to respond to the post...I like the image...the bldg number is very successful. The floor patterning is good. The light fixtures are cool. The bldg beyond as background works well too. You've covered quite a lot of ground with your first(second) project!

Critique?? The lighting seems a little too washed out, bright? Materials are not reading as "real" as opposed to "computer generated". So lighting adjustments, radiosity and outside cloudiness and such might help get reflections and more warmth.

Over all, very nice effort. Interiors are not necessarily harder to do than exteriors, but they certainly require a different attention to detail to make them believable.

beegee
2003-10-28, 03:21 AM
Ledis,
Ya gotta watch out for all the jokers on this forum. Yes, I know, they annoy me too sometimes.

Anyhow, being very serious now, Thats a great render for your first one !

As well as SS's considered comments, I would add a couple.

1. Put in some RPC people to give the space scale and reality.

2. Pick some new plants for the planters. Those don't look right.

3. Go for a higher reflection in the central band of the chair rail material.

4. Maybe tone down the main wall colour ( Your client's wife picked it ? OK ...leave it then )

ledis_nomad1817
2003-11-03, 06:43 PM
Thanks for all the comments. A couple questions: I didn't use a radiosity render because it kept crashing Revit. Any reason people may know of that that happened?

Also, I *did* do a lot of lighting adjustments, but there is definitely room for improvement as I went about it haphazardly. Any tips that may help make the adjustments less hit-or-miss?

Beegee, I'll try some of your ideas, but unfortunately I don't have any control over the main wall color. I actually scanned in the wallpaper samples to try to get the best match.