PDA

View Full Version : Save By Field Will Not Update

Rick.B
2005-02-03, 05:34 PM
The save by field does not update when opening and saving drawing files. It seem to default to the person who created the original template or provided the network install.

Any ideas on how to fix this would be great. Thanks.

Mike.Perry
2005-02-03, 05:59 PM
Hi

Take a look at the system variable FieldEval

Have a good one, Mike

Rick.B
2005-02-03, 08:50 PM
Thanks. It seems to be working now.

Rick.B
2005-02-04, 09:50 PM
Sorry, I just tried that with a blank drawing file.It seems to work fine if I use the template file included with AutoCAD but if I use an older template file setup with our company standards it still will not update. There seems to be a lock on the template file that carries over to any drawing created from it.

Mike.Perry
2005-02-04, 10:55 PM
Hi

Within the "Older" Template files what is FieldEval set to?

FieldEval is a system variable that is saved within the DWG file, therefore it needs to be set on a per drawing file bases.

Update your "Older" Template files with the required FieldEval value, you should then be good to go.

Have a good one, Mike

Rick.B
2005-02-06, 03:46 AM
It is set to 31 in the template file. Set to 31 fields should update during file open,saving, plotting, etransmitting, and regenerating.

Mike.Perry
2005-02-06, 02:47 PM
It is set to 31 in the template file. Set to 31 fields should update during file open,saving, plotting, etransmitting, and regenerating.Hi

Were the DWG's based on that actual Template file?

When the DWG's were created did that actual Template file contain / have the FieldEval system variable set to 31?

Only ask as you mentioned earlier "Older" Template file(s), that to me made me think pre AutoCAD 2005, thus the FieldEval system variable wouldn't have existed (therefore could not have been set within that_ file / those_files).

Within the actual DWG files you are currently experiencing problems with, what is the system variable FieldEval set to?

Have a good one, Mike

Rick.B
2005-02-06, 10:40 PM
It seems to be the template file that is causing the problem. The .dwt file has been updated to R2005, prior to my last response, and the FieldEval sysvar is set to 31. All drawing files created using it, the .dwt, perpetuates this problem regardless of the setting of the FieldEval sysvar.

Other fields seem to work in the problematic .dwt and in the .dwg files created using the template. It simply will not update the LastSaveBy field.

Mike.Perry
2005-02-07, 10:02 AM
Hi

Can you please post the Template file and an example DWG file created from the Template file so we can take a look.

Please note - Unfortunately I will not be able to view the files until I return to the UK at the end of the month (currently I do not have access to AutoCAD 2005).

Have a good one, Mike

Rick.B
2005-02-09, 10:38 AM
Mike,

Here are the two files you asked for.

We think this may be a network permissions issue in our office. If the same person who saved the template file saves a scratch drawing (new drawing with no template) the same thing happens but if any other CAD user does the same the field seems to work just fine. Is there some way to lock a field in your sys vars or environment vars?

Thanks for any ideas.

Mike.Perry
2005-02-26, 10:42 PM
Hi

Everything appears to be ok! at this end -

Field -> LastSavedBy -> Updated without a problem to the value stored in system variable LoginName.

Have a good one, Mike

Rick.B
2005-03-17, 02:01 AM
I'll have to check if this will help me out as well.dwg prop (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=16268)
Looks promising. 8-)

RobertB
2005-03-17, 02:25 AM
Yes Rick, you need to load that arx file on startup for your field to eval correctly.

Rick.B
2005-03-17, 05:06 PM
That was just the right pill. It seems strange that autodesk would leave that arx application demand load if it has such sway over fields, one of the star attractions of 2004/2005.

mharper
2005-04-06, 08:52 PM
Here at my company we are having the same problem, however NO fields will update automatically. We have to manually update them every time we access a drawing. All drawings, templates, files, etc. were all built with AutoCAD 2005.

Tom Beauford
2005-04-11, 05:35 PM
Go to Options => User Preferences Tab => Field Update Settings... and put check marks next to all the events you want to automaticly update your fields.
Here at my company we are having the same problem, however NO fields will update automatically. We have to manually update them every time we access a drawing. All drawings, templates, files, etc. were all built with AutoCAD 2005.