PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Edit Existing SubAssembly

andybosch
2012-10-03, 08:01 PM
I think I know the answer to this but I am just looking for some clarification or any great ideas.

I would love to be able to edit an out of the box subassembly. Particularly in editing the raised median shape code. I like the function of this subassembly that you can like it to a mark point and it has a shape built into it.

Short of using the Subassembly composer to create a new one (which we have not started to use yet in my office) is there anything I can do to make this happen?

Right now I am just using the subassembly, but I see that it could mess up my QTO manager with it being concrete and not topsoil that I am looking for.

I also realize that I could make this work with some of the generic subassemblies but these don't show up in cross section view if they are part of an offset assembly or part of a separate corridor that is being sampled in the cross sections.

Thanks for any info

Jeff_M
2012-10-03, 11:13 PM
The source code for the Subassemblies is provided in the Samples folder. So, if you know anything about using Visual Studio and VB.NET, you could make the edit(s) and compile a new dll.

andybosch
2012-10-04, 12:30 PM
I have heard that you could do that. Unfortunately I know nothing about Visual Studio or VB.NET. Is this something that is fairly complex or something that would be worthwhile to dive into if one had the time?

Jeff_M
2012-10-04, 01:48 PM
I think the answer to that is difficult to say. It could be complex, although simple changes to the existing code isn't too hard. For some people it would definitely be something worthwhile, for others, programming overwhelms them so, for them, I'd have to say it would not be worth their time. There is a bit of learning curve, as with anything new, but once you 'get it' you may find ways to write your own code for anything from new subassemblies (although the SAC may now be better suited for new subs) to new commands to help automate things you do every day.

If interested, download the Express version of VB.NET (2008 for C3D2009-2011, 2010 for C3D2012-2013...do not get the newly released VS2012). After installing, copy the C3DStockSubAssemblies folder from the Samples to the Projects folder found under MyDocuments\Visual Studio 20XX\. Then start VB.NET and open the project found in that copied folder. Have a look around and see if you can find the code that needs to be edited. Hint, each subassembly is in it's own folder.

This Autodesk University class from AU2009 should be good for a beginner (I have not watched this, biut Jerry Winters is a well known author of VB programming for Autocad). http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=class&session_id=4993

andybosch
2012-10-04, 02:01 PM
Awesome.

Thanks for the steps to get started. I think I will give it a try. I am never to scared off by this stuff, it is just the frustration when it doesn't work out because I don't know exactly what I am doing.

I have used the subassembly composer in the past, but the new company I work for has not released it to anyone yet. I don't remember if it gave you the ability to give the subassemblies the total functionality, like linking to marked points and the like. I know that the subassembly composer is kind of a process to use between multiple users.

Hopefully AutoCAD beefs up the generic subassemblies in the next couple releases.