PDA

View Full Version : seeking AVEVA VPE users

elizabeth.mitchell
2005-02-09, 12:22 AM
I've just started using AVEVA's VPE with AutoCAD2002 (eventually I'll use workbench too!). I have not found anything from other users anywhere I've searched on the web. I was hoping to find other users here that might discuss the idiosyncrasies/bugs/frustrations/solutions they've discovered.

Is there anyone else out there, or am I all alone?

Rb

robert.velen
2005-02-10, 10:22 AM
We are choosing between Aveva VPE and another system. Is there a lot of trouble with it?

/Robert

elizabeth.mitchell
2005-02-17, 09:22 PM
I've had no trouble learning the software, but like any package, it has it's quirks.

We do seem to have a lot of bugs, weird corruptions, and administrative modules that don't quite work. I don't know if that's attributable to the IT guys not setting it up right or us operators being incompetent. The "guru" is coming in next week and I hope we'll get some questions answered.
Our current project is for polyethylene extruder upgrade, and I've only found a few items that we've had trouble creating. I don't like our client's symbology, and that makes it hard in redrawing the PIDs and having them be intelligent enough to build our instrument index and piping lists. I also don't like the fact that our client is only half-way using the intelligence--many things are put in as dumb text and it's a waste of time.

Eh, just more for me to grumble about, I guess.

austin.dumas
2008-03-11, 08:08 PM
An older post I see but I figured I'd try...

I'm the VPE P&ID and Workbench Administrator for my office. Since Aveva support is somewhat strained right now, I figured I'd branch out too.

We're currently using AutoCAD 2004 with P&ID 6.2 Fix 20 and it's working fairly well. Some hiccups along the way but it's going fairly well. Our vairous offices have varying degrees of expertise on Workbench. My office is fairly proficient with the Process, Piping and Mechanical modules. Electrical is coming along VERY slowly and we're currently using InTools in place of Instrumentation.

rustybeth
2008-03-17, 05:39 AM
I am Elizabeth Mitchell, the original poster!

Thank god thread subscriptions don't expire. I'm still here and looking for commiseration! I'm the Workbench admin as well as the P&ID admin.

We're using 2K6, and trying to implement patch 21. We're having problems getting ANY version higher than patch 15 to connect to Oracle. I'm working with AVEVA's help desk right now to resolve the problems, but it's been going on eighteen months now that we're stuck on this.

Our disciplines are coming on line. Process and Piping are doing well, Mechanical is buying in. We have had to abandon the instrument group use as more than a data repository. It's just been too much trouble. We're using a locally developed tool called IDO (Instrument Design Office). We have a companion tool (EDO) that the electrical group has been using for a while so they haven't any interest in using VPE Workbench.

As our company was just wholly acquired by Uhde in Germany, and their preference is InTools, I don't know where we'll be going from here. I'm in a holding pattern for now, fraught with frustration and unable to make any progress or decisions. It's a very hard position at the moment.

I'm actively promiting an AVEVA PDMS based board for all AVEVA related posting, so if you're interested in it, shoot me a PM and I'll give you the address.

edgar.flotte
2008-05-01, 02:09 PM
I am glad I found someone with more experiece than me in VPE. I am proficient with AVEVA PDMS but not VPE. I will have an interview tomorrow Friday and I would like to know if you can email me to edgar.flotte@gmail.com since I have a very special request. Regards

Edgar Flotte

rustybeth
2008-05-07, 12:16 AM
I apologise Edgar. I am in Australia, and the time difference makes communication difficult some times. I hope your interview went well.