PDA

View Full Version : AutoCAD 13LT break command

wes347614
2012-12-18, 05:54 PM
Concerning the BREAK command in AutoCAD 13LT, according to the help manual, "The prompts that are displayed next depend on how you select the object. If you select the object by using your pointing device, the program both selects the object and treats the selection point as the first break point. At the next prompt, you can continue by specifying the second point or overriding the first point."

My question is this - why treat the first place where the object is selected as the first break point? I ALWAYS have to override that and specify the first break point, which adds another step and makes the process slower. You can't snap to the first place where you want the line to be broken when you're selecting the object. I want to change the command so that I'm prompted to select the object and then automatically specify the first break point

jaberwok
2012-12-18, 08:28 PM
Concerning the BREAK command in AutoCAD 13LT, according to the help manual, "The prompts that are displayed next depend on how you select the object. If you select the object by using your pointing device, the program both selects the object and treats the selection point as the first break point. At the next prompt, you can continue by specifying the second point or overriding the first point."

My question is this - why treat the first place where the object is selected as the first break point? I ALWAYS have to override that and specify the first break point, which adds another step and makes the process slower. You can't snap to the first place where you want the line to be broken when you're selecting the object. I want to change the command so that I'm prompted to select the object and then automatically specify the first break point

Do you mean ... so that I'm prompted to select the object and then immediately asked to specify the first break point. ?

clshade
2012-12-19, 12:47 AM
I've used this Macro for quite a while to Break at a Point:

*^C^C_Break;\f;int;\@;

jaberwok
2012-12-19, 02:37 PM
I think the OP is referring to the fact that you can't always pick a specific point on the target object - like an intersection; though it's okay if you want an osnap point like end or mid or quad.

wes347614
2012-12-19, 02:51 PM
yes. I don't want the first place selected when selecting the object to also be the first break point. I want to be prompted for that 1st break point WITHOUT having to hit "f" first.

wes347614
2012-12-19, 02:54 PM
Charles, is this macro to break an object at 2 points or just to break at 1 point?

jaberwok
2012-12-19, 08:25 PM
Charles, is this macro to break an object at 2 points or just to break at 1 point?

Charles' macro breaks at one point ["@" means pick the same point as previously].
If you cut it down to *^C^C_Break;\f; it should do what you want.

clshade
2012-12-20, 01:09 AM
I tried shortening it to that yesterday but could not get it to function properly.
You could change INT to NEA to get any point you want I should think.

wes347614
2012-12-20, 02:10 PM
^C^C_break;\f; - works perfect! Thanks!! It does exactly what I want

clshade
2012-12-20, 08:45 PM
And your wish came true near Christmas.
Miracles do happen Virginia!

jaberwok
2012-12-20, 09:36 PM
And your wish came true near Christmas.
Miracles do happen Virginia!

Does that make us good faries or fairy godmothers? :-)

clshade
2012-12-21, 02:27 PM
The Godfather