PDA

View Full Version : How do you prevent a someone from locking you out of a project with worksets?

cadkiller
2005-02-10, 02:43 PM
Group;

I was just curious if someone could essentailly lock you out of a project with worksets? This is just an example of what a discruntled employee might be able to do. I'm not sure if they can do it; but I was just wondering if this could happen.

Say if your company has a policy for everyone to sign off from their worksets for a project at the end of every work day or at the end of the work week. Now a discruntled employee stays late, comes in early or works the weekend and signs into all the worksets and password protects someone elses computer or even worse installs a virus on the computer that owns the worksets. Now everyone is locked out of the project and can't work on it until they sign into the worksets and sign off to release them.

Can something like this happen and if so what can you do to prevent this?
Also what can you do if they already did it?

bclarch
2005-02-10, 02:59 PM
There are thousands of ways for someone to sabotage a project without going through the hassle of messing with worksets. They could just password protect the main file, delete the main file, open the file and erase everything in it, etc. etc. The key is to have a current backup file in a secure location, i.e. in a password protected location on the network and off-site. This way the most you can lose is a day's worth of work. If a file does get locked down somehow, support might even be able to crack it back open for you.

Steve_Stafford
2005-02-10, 03:03 PM
...I was just curious if someone could essentailly lock you out of a project with worksets?Yes, but not really a problem.

Worksets are not a security tool. If your disgruntled user checks out all worksets you can just create a new central file from the old one, back in business. You can also first, change your username to match his, then open the central file and relinquish. Back in business.

If he makes changes you want to keep in his local and leaves, then log into his computer, change your workset username to his. Find his local copy of the project and save to central relinquishing all worksets. Back in business.

We have users place their local files in C:\Revit\Project Name (easier to find) so that anyone can log into their PC if they forget to relinquish worksets and do so.

Phil Read
2005-02-10, 03:04 PM
I was just curious if someone could essentailly lock you out of a project with worksets?
Nope.

-Phil

aaronrumple
2005-02-10, 03:13 PM
However, I like the users to think they can be locked out of worksets. Then I can check out the families and some project standards and keep the team from changing them (at least they think they are locked out).

Steve_Stafford
2005-02-10, 03:15 PM
...(at least they think they are locked out)...Sorry, "cat's out of the bag"...:wink: