PDA

View Full Version : Multiple drawing sets in one revit file

lwagene
2013-02-08, 01:28 PM
I am working on a VERY large project in which the owner needs different sets to be issued at different phases for permitting and client financial issues. However, I need to keep all the phasing projects within one file so that the owner has a complete revit model once all the phases have been complete.

It is a huge waste of time to have to duplicate generic sheets (life safety, partition types, general details, door details, etc.) by copying all the views and adding to a new sheet. I need to keep the phase 1 sheet intact for revision purposes so I can not just change the title and include the existing sheet in a new phase. Additionally the schedules on some phases overlap and there is a need to have multiple sheets with primarily the same views and sheet information with small differences. PLEASE PLEASE make duplicating sheets with all the views, legends, and schedules possible.

Is there any work around or add-in for duplicating sheets with views, ledgends, and schedules????

Thank you,
Lindsey

ghale
2013-02-11, 12:45 PM
I don't see much of a way around duplicating your views for the different phases. There are ways with exporting CAD files and making linked projects with linked views, but I wouldn't say there better than just duplicating views.
You may want to put "Very large project" into context. What's the contract value or square footage? If it is a large project then you are surely going to have multiple Revit models anyway and they can be broken out by the scope of work. If you start duplicating these to phases then your surely going to have a mess on your hands.

Maciej Wypych
2014-06-30, 07:19 AM
There are a few addins like that. Google search and :

http://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3apowersheets_windows32and64%3aen
http://www.aga-cad.com/tools4revit/Fast-Documentation/Smart-Sheets.html

david_peterson
2014-07-08, 01:18 PM
I'm in the process of completing a 1.4million sqft project done in multiple packages/phases. We created a separate "Details" package that was common to all phases. Typical details basically. We tracked it as a separate package. When we needed to change anything we'd issue the CB. I'm also working on another current project with 17 phases. We did basically the same thing. We also included a note to bidders that indicated the detail package was just that. Something to the effect of "only look at the plans to figure out what details you need. The details package may include details outside of your scope of work". Unless you really need 3 independent packages (which I've had to do before, and that requires 3 sets of the same duplicated details) I'd try ti find a way around the issue. Let the client know he's going to be paying for 3 time the amount of paper. Just a thought.

pcamack
2014-07-17, 03:50 PM
Our office encounters this problem on multiple projects. One work around for details that is best done at the beginning of the project is to paste all your detail views into a floor plan view (1 view for each scale of detail). Then you can duplicate views as dependent and crop each detail for the different sets. As you can imagine this is extremely tedious to do if you are near the end of a project, but it is a way you can be sure that revisions to typical details are tracked through all permit packages.

tmcguire17
2014-07-17, 04:01 PM
Create your model with vies for that phase. Either save it as an SD sheets file or create another file for said phase. Link the main model then set your views to linked model to control visibility. Do this for each phase. Your main model has all the info your sheets files are for notation and printing. Dont have to worry about sheet numbers getting confusind or 10 million sheets in 1 model.

cftreviz0
2014-07-17, 04:12 PM
I'm currently on a Multi-Phase Airport Modernization Project that about to hit the 90% deliverable next month. What I did was duplicate the Project file, then delete all Model content, then linked back the Original. Since the Phase settings are the same you'll see the same model content just Copy/Paste annotations (DIMs may need to be redrawn) that you're allowed to. So you'll have extra files that contain "Sheets & Annotative info" per phase (If client complains about getting extra files, well tell'em it's the nature of the Beast), but 1 file containing all "Model" content. I would make sure all generic/typical info is developed as much as possible before creating extra files so not to copy/paste so much, but you could use the Import Views from File option for the Drafting views.

ccuddy163598
2014-07-17, 05:22 PM
My firm does campus style projects on a fairly regular basis and we run into this issue every time. Revit forces us to create "dummy" details and/or sheets. The best fix would be for Autodesk to recognize this and allow us users the ability to REFERENCE VIEWS IN LINKED MODELS. That would solve the problem entirely. In a parametric world the view reference is king.

scott.kennedy
2014-07-17, 10:39 PM
PLEASE PLEASE make duplicating sheets with all the views, legends, and schedules possible.

Legend sheets can be duplicated, you can add the same legend to multiple sheets, I do it all the time.

You could create a separate revit file just for sheet views and link you model to it....its not ideal though, I would only do it as a last resort.

Wanderer
2014-07-18, 02:58 PM
PLEASE PLEASE make duplicating sheets with all the views, legends, and schedules possible.

Just a reminder, there's always the AUGI Wishlist to formally request changes.

Feel free to search to see if similar wishes are in the system already, and rank them so they show up higher when autodesk looks at the submissions.

http://www.augi.com/wishlist/

Note: the only restriction in using the WLS is that you cannot RANK or SUBMIT new wishes for products you do not use. This is controlled by you in your membership profile in the details area located at http://www.augi.com//account/membership-details/

pieterschiettecatte179750
2017-08-29, 05:31 PM
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but it still comes up high in google if you google for multiple drawing sets in one revit project. As this is still a limitation today, I have added a Revit Idea. If you're struggling with this as much as we do, you might consider adding your support: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/allow-duplicate-sheet-numbers/idi-p/7336664

david_peterson
2017-08-29, 06:02 PM
i guess I'm still not sure why you say this is a limitation?
You can have as many drawings in a model as you want.
You just can't reference views from other model files easily. There is an add-in tool that will allow it.
It took them more than 10 years to come up with a fix for their Text editor and that didn't really fix much in Revit. I can't imagine how long something like this would take.