PDA

View Full Version : Water proofing plots

paul.burgener
2005-02-11, 06:56 PM
Anybody had any experience with clear contact paper or clear varnish to water-proof large (esize, about 34 by 44 inches) paper plots? I want to make some signs for use outdoors. They'd stay out for maybe a week at a time, in all weather (maybe not real hot or cold). I'd use them maybe once or twice each year for fund raising events. Rather than paying for a vinyl banner (about $50 to $150 each depending on size), I'd like to simply laminate the esize paper plot with clear contact paper, on each side.

Another method might be to "Mod Podge" the paper onto a thin sheet of plywood, like we used to do in the 70's. The plywood wouldn't be able to roll up, though, but I could store them between uses over head in the garage or something.

Anybody got any good idears?

The main use if for the high school car show each year. We need 5 or 6 signs to advertise the car show and for traffic control. Last time (we have it each year in November), I simply taped paper on political signs (it was a week after the election). The next time, I'd like them to be bigger and more water proof.

So far I've only seen the clear contact paper in 18 inch wide roles at Office Max. Can I buy it in 36 inch wide rolls? How long can it keep moisture out, if it rains for a few days constant, for example?

-Paul
Newport News, VA USA 23602-7007

Wanderer
2005-02-11, 07:14 PM
Anybody had any experience with clear contact paper or clear varnish to water-proof large (esize, about 34 by 44 inches) paper plots? I want to make some signs for use outdoors. They'd stay out for maybe a week at a time, in all weather (maybe not real hot or cold). I'd use them maybe once or twice each year for fund raising events. Rather than paying for a vinyl banner (about $50 to $150 each depending on size), I'd like to simply laminate the esize paper plot with clear contact paper, on each side.
-Paul
Newport News, VA USA 23602-7007
I don't have an answer here, just an extension of the question...

I was just thinking the other day about something like this to put over my old blueprints that are raggedy, so I can copy them without tearing them apart... an engineer here told me that at his last place they had like a big plastic sleeve they laid over a print to achieve that... anyone know where I can find something like that?

jaberwok
2005-02-11, 08:10 PM
You know those encapsulating machines (credit card and A4/letter size)? I had some A0 plots (almost E size) encapsulated at a commercial print shop. Cost about £8 sterling each.

JASONM30395
2005-02-14, 07:17 PM
Once upon a time, back in the day, I tried doing something similar with the "spray-on" glue. It worked OK but if the coat was too thick the colours woud run. (but that was on something plotted from a pen plotter so it might not be a prob now-a-days)