PDA

View Full Version : Construction drawings in Revit

Nic M.
2005-02-12, 10:27 AM
I would like to see some more construction drawings done in Revit
Still a much heard critic "Revit for a design office,/ ADT for a construction office" at least in this part of the world.
So I show you a 7 unit apartment building we are working on (currently in construction).
one pic of the site
one pic of digging the "Hole"

ivsim
2005-02-12, 12:27 PM
I would like to see some more construction drawings done in Revit
Still a much heard critic "Revit for a design office,/ ADT for a construction office" at least in this part of the world.

Nic, I also tend to think that the CD part of the software has been seriously overlooked, which is something the Revit factory ought to pay special attention to. CD's are the final result of a design work and they are the 2D representation of the building (plans, elevations sections etc.); CD's are normally rich in dimensions, areas, schedules and with good graphics so that the approval authorities and the builder can read the building.

I've attached a construction drawing of a block of flats level and it's made in AchiCAD entirely and it represents how I want my final CD's to look like....(btw, sorry, something went wrong with my fonts).....today I was furious that in order to have vertically and horizontally oriented dimensions I have to dimension only vertically and horizontally oriented elements (walls, lines etc.), I mean that a wall at an angle COULD NOT be traced with vertcal and horizontal dimensions directly or I can not add a casual point in the dimension line. Fortunately I've found workarounds...... The reason I was furious was that ArchiCAD is not as intelligent as Revit and it's not as capable of creating parametric complex 3D geometry as Revit is and still its 2D represetation part (I do not mean that 2D is only a combination of lines as it is in AutoCAD) which is what most of the architects do (even without having to 3D model everything), is still better developed and more appealing and easy to work with and the final outcome is good. Such a powerfull software as Revit could not afford having such a weak feature as its dimensions. Yet, I admit that it is only in Revit that the dimensions not only dimension but they help model the building which I so much admire. I can only guess that this is the reason why Revit and AutoCAD go together in the ACAD Revit series or it's only an Autodesk marketing strategy to attract the ACAD folks to Revit,...donou, just guessing :)

Anyway I find it very reasonable to have the final outcome of your design efforts in one and the same environment and Revit does not help do so, at least for the time being.

luigi
2005-02-12, 01:44 PM
I was looking at the construction documents you have posted and I wish I could tell what aspect of those documents you cannot achieve in Revit. I am not trying to be argumentative, but I just don't see it. I have worked on many construction documents in the company I worked at in states, and it is a company that is not known for anything but good construction documents, and except for a few symbols that we didn't have time to create, the documents were as rich as they always were.

Also, I know of the problem the Revit dimension tool lack, but I only know of one main aspect the dimension tool lack in its linear form (because there are a few in the angular ones) and that is to have a forced horizontal/vertical dimension no matter which point or segment gets selected.

I mean that a wall at an angle COULD NOT be traced with vertcal and horizontal dimensions directly ... True, you can't, but

...I can not add a casual point in the dimension line. that is if the casual point has no reference to the drawing, because you can add additional points in an already created dimension if there is an object to reference the dimension to

My 2 grosze (polish cents)

Wes Macaulay
2005-02-12, 01:44 PM
LOL

Both sets of prints look like they could have come either software package! I for one have little to complain about with Revit's CDs - save one point. I would like to wall hatching rotate with the wall: currently, if the wall hatch is 45d and the wall is at 45d, the hatch either runs perpendicular to the wall or parallel.

The dims not working on angled walls is a bug of some kind since you normally are supposed to be able to do this.

BillyGrey
2005-02-12, 04:01 PM
Nic, I also tend to think that the CD part of the software has been seriously overlooked, which is something the Revit factory ought to pay special attention to. CD's are the final result of a design work and they are the 2D representation of the building (plans, elevations sections etc.); CD's are normally rich in dimensions, areas, schedules and with good graphics so that the approval authorities and the builder can read the building.

Rant On>

I don't understand this premise at all. You co-opt Nic on a position he did not forward... I understand your case study, but first, I think Nic was not complaining about features, but wanting to see more corroborative examples.

Revit absolutely handles CD's better than any program I have ever used (this includes not only graphics and especially Schedules, but sheet set up and plotting).

Nuff said on that, red-herrings, and thread hijacking, esp. because the negative fallacy that surrounds Revit's CD capabilities deserves more than further scrutiny under a jaundiced eye.

Defending the truth about this fine program,

BillyGrey :)

<Rant Off

BillyGrey
2005-02-12, 04:07 PM
Whoops, I almost forgot,

Nic!

Congratulations on a finely crafted set of ConDoc's, and what promises to become
and beautiful building!

ivsim
2005-02-12, 04:47 PM
Nuff said on that, red-herrings, and thread hijacking, esp. because the negative fallacy that surrounds Revit's CD capabilities deserves more than further scrutiny under a jaundiced eye.

Defending the truth about this fine program,

BillyGrey :)

<Rant Off

Ok, I take back my words.....looking forward to incoming CD's here as Nic suggested....

Nic M.
2005-02-12, 08:19 PM
No complaining at all just want to see more Revit CD doc's
As the advantage of Revit as we experience it lies in the CD stage of a project.

ivsim, (it is P.P. Rubens is it?)
Are you having trouble on creating the same level of detail on your CD sets in Revit as you have using archicad?
Because if I look at your example I think this should be do able in Revit.

Thanks for the kind words BillyGrey

irwin
2005-02-12, 09:30 PM
... I only know of one main aspect the dimension tool lack in its linear form ... and that is to have a forced horizontal/vertical dimension no matter which point or segment gets selected.
I want to make sure everyone is aware of a workaround for forcing a dimension to be horizontal. Create a dimension by first picking a vertical reference and then picking any points you like. Then, in the modify tool, edit the witness refs of the dimension to not include the vertical reference (or delete the vertical element if you don't need it). The same idea works to force a dimension line to be in any predefined direction.

aaronrumple
2005-02-12, 10:07 PM
I think Revit does a pretty good job...

ivsim
2005-02-12, 11:54 PM
ivsim, (it is P.P. Rubens is it?)
Are you having trouble on creating the same level of detail on your CD sets in Revit as you have using archicad?
Because if I look at your example I think this should be do able in Revit.

Thanks for the understanding!....yeah, you could say so,....as mentioned before, just lookng forward to incoming CD posts here and see how the other folks are doing....

Actually, it is another Belgian: Jacob Jordans' "Laughing man".

irwin, I would just like to add that in order for the dimension line to remain horizontal or vertical I need to have at least three dimension ref points, should they happen to remain two (two end points), then the dimension line aligns to the direction set by those two remaining points.

irwin
2005-02-13, 01:36 AM
irwin, I would just like to add that in order for the dimension line to remain horizontal or vertical I need to have at least three dimension ref points, should they happen to remain two (two end points), then the dimension line aligns to the direction set by those two remaining points.
In the dimension command if you choose a vertical line first, then two points, you get a horizontal dimension with two segments. Finish creating the dimension. Go to the Modify tool. Right-click on the dimension. Edit Witness Lines. Pick on the vertical line to remove it as a reference. Pick anywhere to finish editing. You are left with a horizontal dimension between the two points and nothing else. The dimension remains horizontal and associative to the two points even if you move the two points, change the angle between them, delete the original vertical line, or change the angle of the original line.

I'm not sure why the dimension stopped being horizontal when you tried it. Perhaps you removed the vertical reference _before_ finishing the dimension. What I am proposing is different: finish the dimension _then_ edit witness lines.

ivsim
2005-02-13, 07:05 AM
Thanks Irwin, it works just fine....

bclarch
2005-02-14, 04:18 PM
Nic,

Is that one of your renderings on the project sign?

Nic M.
2005-02-14, 06:46 PM
Yep,
One of the first I did
Posted it here or at Zoog's. Will try to locate the link