PDA

View Full Version : How do I make a Floor Family?

Dimitri Harvalias
2005-02-16, 04:24 PM
1. You can create the floor as a family outside the project using a series of solids and voids (for slab bands, beams etc.) and then load that family into the project. Place it at one level and then copy, paste aligned to the various levels as required.

2. In the project, create a floor, enter sketch mode and copy the sketch lines to the clipboard. Open a new family and follow the same procedure as above but using the linework from the clipboard to define the solids.

The real advantage of this method is that when you need to make changes to all the floors you simply edit the family and reload it into the project file. Either way be sure that the family category is set to 'floor' so the resulting slab behaves like a floor when loaded into the project.

Joef
2005-02-16, 09:36 PM
Where do you find the "Floor " Family Category?

Mr Spot
2005-02-16, 11:22 PM
Where do you find the "Floor " Family Category?
You have to create it as a generic model family, then in the project, nest this family into a floor in-place family... This makes it behave as a floor...

HTH.

Jmdesign404
2017-02-17, 03:58 PM
Can you please describe this in a little more detail. 1. Create the floor as a family outside the project?...Does this mean to create a family using a Generic model Category?
2. Open a new family? (What type of family needs to be opened)
3. Do not see a "Floor Category"

Dimitri Harvalias
2017-02-17, 08:51 PM
Wow! This thread is from 2005! I can't even recall the context of the original post and why anyone would do this without using real floors and groups.
In response to your question, once you have the generic model family the second family is created as an in-place family and the the generic model is nested into it.
May I aks what the use case is and what you are trying to accomplish?