PDA

View Full Version : 2014 layer simplification

tim_newsome
2013-10-23, 02:31 PM
I am back in the CIV3D world. I am browsing the Parcels forum in hopes to find answers to two issues I use to fight with but found crafty remedies for but haven't used in long time so I don't want to create a mess first.

1) it seems like the overall boundary needed to be defined as a parcel as well as the individual lots?

2) layer managing, In other words having control of changing lot front to ROW layer. couple yrs back I remember finding away to trick CIV3D to minimize cluster of layers that made layer managing a nightmare.

jpaulsen
2013-10-24, 01:09 PM
1) The boundary parcel needs to be in a separate site from the lots and R.O.W. However, there is not requirement the boundary be a parcel.

2) We don't mess with the layering of the parcels. We draw the boundary, lots and R.O.W. in AutoCAD using lines and arcs on our layers. Then we create parcels from object. The parcel segments go on their own layer that is set to no-plot. This may not be the ideal way to handle this because we duplicate data but we have found it to be quite easy to make sure our line work and the parcel segments are identical.

rkmcswain
2013-10-24, 01:33 PM
2) We don't mess with the layering of the parcels. We draw the boundary, lots and R.O.W. in AutoCAD using lines and arcs on our layers. Then we create parcels from object.

Agree with the above and add: we just leave the parcels on the default C3D layers and freeze them. What we print is the lines/arcs mentioned above.

jpaulsen
2013-10-24, 04:18 PM
we just leave the parcels on the default C3D layers and freeze them.

I'd like to be able to freeze them but we use the parcel segment labels for the final plat labeling (bearing, distance, etc.) so we can't freeze the segment layer. If you freeze or turn off the segments the segment labels also turn off.

tim_newsome
2013-10-24, 04:51 PM
Thanks Jeff, Very helpful.

rkmcswain
2013-10-28, 02:55 PM
I'd like to be able to freeze them but we use the parcel segment labels for the final plat labeling (bearing, distance, etc.) so we can't freeze the segment layer. If you freeze or turn off the segments the segment labels also turn off.

There is a way around this, I'll post it a bit later.

Iceberg
2014-03-19, 02:39 AM
Is this still what the majority of people do?

Reason I am asking is that I can not figure out how to get parcel lines to print out correct when multiple parcel lines are on top off each other, like side yard lot lines. I think I might be creating the parcels wrong using closed plotlines too? In the end I just apply a no lines style to the parcels to clean the plan for printing.

Opie
2014-03-19, 01:21 PM
The above suggestion is not our method.

For subdivision plats, we initially draw the boundary lines as lines, arcs, and polylines. We then convert those to parcels and delete the original objects. Typically, we will have three parcel styles associated with the site containing all of these parcels. The site parcel is assigned one style as the local district requires the parcel to be displayed differently than the rest of the data. We then assign the street right-of-ways another style. And finally, the individual lots are assigned yet another style.

The display hierarchy of these styles is usually the Site Parcel, the right-of-ways, and then the individual lots. Each one of these styles have are assigned to specific layers and the layers control the lineweight and plot styles.

For boundary lines outside of the site, we will maintain those as basic AutoCAD linework on an appropriate layer.

For boundary surveys, we use a similar procedure with a different style.

rkmcswain
2014-03-20, 06:05 PM
There is a way around this, I'll post it a bit later.

I see that I never returned to answer this.
If anyone really wants to know, bump this thread.

BlackBox
2014-03-20, 08:38 PM
I see that I never returned to answer this.
If anyone really wants to know, bump this thread.

*bump*... Drop that knowledge bomb.

Iceberg
2014-03-21, 11:58 AM
The above suggestion is not our method.

For subdivision plats, we initially draw the boundary lines as lines, arcs, and polylines. We then convert those to parcels and delete the original objects. Typically, we will have three parcel styles associated with the site containing all of these parcels. The site parcel is assigned one style as the local district requires the parcel to be displayed differently than the rest of the data. We then assign the street right-of-ways another style. And finally, the individual lots are assigned yet another style.

The display hierarchy of these styles is usually the Site Parcel, the right-of-ways, and then the individual lots. Each one of these styles have are assigned to specific layers and the layers control the lineweight and plot styles.

For boundary lines outside of the site, we will maintain those as basic AutoCAD linework on an appropriate layer.

For boundary surveys, we use a similar procedure with a different style.

Don't you still have overlapping lines?

Opie
2014-03-21, 01:46 PM
Don't you still have overlapping lines?

Do you mean, one line is in the same horizontal space as another line? Not typically.

When you specify the hierarchy of the styles for the site, this hierarchy will control the visual styles for the common parcel lines between differently styled parcels. In my prior explanation, we are required to have the perimeter of our subdivision a thick line (1.0 mm for talking purposes). All parcels that are connected to the perimeter of the subdivision will have their common lines with the perimeter to be thick. We then have our right-of-way lines not as thick as the perimeter (0.5 mm). It is also a different linetype. Anywhere the right-of-way line is located will have the 0.5 mm plotted thickness, unless it is common to the subdivision perimeter and then the subdivision perimeter controls the style. Now, when we move to the individual lot lines, they are a much thinner lineweight (0.35 mm). Of course, when they are common to the right-of-way or subdivision perimeter, those styles will control the look.

Does that make sense, or did I start rambling on again?

Iceberg
2014-03-21, 04:43 PM
I see what you are saying..... And I realize my issue, if I am understanding you correctly. My issue isn't with my parcels, its with my Site.

You create a Site based on your outbound. Then you create separate parcels under that site for your right-of-way, easements, individual lots etc.,. Than depending on the hierarchy of the site it will display the line types correctly because all of these objects are linked to that one site.

I take it that the hierarchy approach doesn't work when you create each lot as an individual Site then?

Opie
2014-03-21, 04:48 PM
That is correct since they do not interact. They must be in the same site for my workflow to work.

I have thought about doing a separate site to show utility servitudes. This would allow me to style them quickly. Since I do not typically draw our plats or surveys, this approach to servitudes has not been fully developed.

Iceberg
2014-03-21, 05:10 PM
That is correct since they do not interact. They must be in the same site for my workflow to work.

I have thought about doing a separate site to show utility servitudes. This would allow me to style them quickly. Since I do not typically draw our plats or surveys, this approach to servitudes has not been fully developed.

Thanks Opie. I need to go back to the drawing board... nothing like a face palm to make you realize that what you were trained is not necessary the best approach to things.... ~shakes head~

BlackBox
2014-03-21, 06:00 PM
Thanks Opie. I need to go back to the drawing board... nothing like a face palm to make you realize that what you were trained is not necessary the best approach to things.... ~shakes head~

FWIW -

... On the matter of training (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?121743-Preset-osnaps-by-CAD-Nazi-in-my-office&p=1101102&viewfull=1#post1101102). :beer:

Iceberg
2014-03-22, 02:53 AM
FWIW -

... On the matter of training (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?121743-Preset-osnaps-by-CAD-Nazi-in-my-office&p=1101102&viewfull=1#post1101102). :beer:

Thanks Blackbox. 2 interesting points. 1. I was trained by the survey department on how to create parcels. They got training 2 years ago (prior to my arrival) but afterwards continued using Eagle point software. When I joined I asked how they do parcels and got a bunch of scribbled notes and a brief lesson on how they remembered it was done.
The second point is that I'm the one responsible for training and implementing standards. Now you can understand why I feel like a dummy.

Iceberg
2014-03-24, 08:54 PM

Thanks Opie. :beer: That was such a better way of working with parcels. Now the fun part, making others believe in the process as well.

BlackBox
2014-03-24, 09:16 PM
Thanks Blackbox. 2 interesting points. 1. I was trained by the survey department on how to create parcels. They got training 2 years ago (prior to my arrival) but afterwards continued using Eagle point software. When I joined I asked how they do parcels and got a bunch of scribbled notes and a brief lesson on how they remembered it was done.
The second point is that I'm the one responsible for training and implementing standards. Now you can understand why I feel like a dummy.

No worries; Without going into detail, I can personally relate, given my new place of employment.

Cheers

rkmcswain
2014-04-01, 06:01 PM
*bump*... Drop that knowledge bomb.

Property lines are drawn on layers 'overall boundary', 'row', 'lots', and 'centerline' (lines & arcs)
Parcels are created using this linework, and original linework is retained.
Parcel style = [Parcel Segments on layer C-PROP-BNDY] - layer should be visible in the style so that you can select the parcel to label it.
But then turn off the visibility in the style and leave the layer itself on and thawed in the layer manager.
Prospector > Drawing > Sites > SiteName > Right Click on Parcels > Composition Tab > Parcel style display order
If there are more than one listed, make sure the desired style is at the top of the list.

I think I covered it all --- and doing it this way allows for the parcel labels to remain visible even though the parcel object itself is not visible.

jpaulsen
2014-04-07, 03:08 PM
I changed the parcel style so the visibility of the parcel segments was off. The parcel segment labels still display but the parcel labels do not. How do you get the parcel labels to display?