PDA

View Full Version : SketchUp

J-G
2003-11-12, 07:12 AM
Is anyone seriously using this product? I looked at it a few years ago and have seen a lot about it since. I am thinking that it could help us in schematic design when we need to quickly model something to make sure that it works and is the direction we want to go in. I don't believe that it has much value as an imported model with Revit, but it would be better then tracing paper.

One thing that is holding me back is AutoDesk's Studio program. I read somewhere that they were still putting a bit of effort into its development. Is anyone using it? And, does anyone know anything about its development?

Thanks,

Jon

beegee
2003-11-12, 07:19 AM
Jonathon,

Refer this thread (www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1308&highlight=sketchup)

and also this one (www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1032&highlight=sketchup)

J-G
2003-11-12, 08:22 AM
Thanks beegee,

I looked at those threads before, but they seem to discuss the ability to export from Revit to SketchUp, I am curious if anyone is using it for design work. For me I am happy in Revit, but I am looking for a program for our designer, who still uses tracing paper but would like to model a roof here and there.

gregcashen
2003-11-12, 08:55 AM
Sketchup's site has a link to a forum where users display their work. Some there are using nothing else. They are producing very nice models and some even use it for cds. It appears to be a very powerful tool once you get the hang of it.

beegee
2003-11-12, 09:05 AM
Thanks beegee,

I looked at those threads before, but they seem to discuss the ability to export from Revit to SketchUp, I am curious if anyone is using it for design work. For me I am happy in Revit, but I am looking for a program for our designer, who still uses tracing paper but would like to model a roof here and there.

Jonathon,

Kroke certainly uses it for design.

I think Steve Stafford has it also.

The other Steve ( first thread ) also has it .

Other Forum members who appear to have it / use it , are Janunson, Richard McCarthy and Wesley.

If you're in a hurry, you could pm or email them for comment.

davidwlight
2003-11-12, 01:54 PM
Jonathon,

I work for a uk architectural practise who uses sketchup. They have a number of copies of the product & designers who traditional have never used any sort of 3d package have warmed to its easy of use. Some of the work that has been produced is amazing. Also, at intial design stage clients & planning officers seem to love the output it produces. As far as architectural studio is concerned, I think that Autodesk should dump it, or take some of the core technologies ie. really time sun studies, sketchy look & feel & some how integrate that it to Revit. If you ever seen the sun study capabilities of sketchup, thats a good enough reason to buy it.
Hope this helps.

jbalding48677
2003-11-12, 05:05 PM
We are using SketchUp and loving it. There is no doubt that there is tremendous value in quickly "sketching up" a 3d model in minutes. We have very senior people using it with not much other computer knowledge. It is a great communication tool.

I/we are pushing its use, almost as much as Revit.

Steve_Stafford
2003-11-12, 05:27 PM
I like SketchUP alot, but sadly it is underused or valued here. I've been the only one to use it for anything so far and that was some time ago. It has more to do with the kind of design work we do than it's worth I suspect.

Arch Studio is an intriguing product searching for a desk to land on...with the trace paper feature combined with the ability to import images/data trace over and save a snapshot makes it particularly capable as a Const. Admin tool to deal with observed field conditions. Since you can take a site photo, a cadd detail and merge them together in a single document with your comments and email to a contractor to rectify.

With the right accessories (pen/stylus/touch screen or tablet) it could be a great sketch tool as well but it lacks the WOW factor that sketch up has with fuzzy lines and shadows etc.

I did attempt to use it to create a study of a site plan for a client but it was abandoned before anything productive was accomplished. The client's changed their mind...so we stopped :cry:

If you own a building systems product and on subsription you are entitled to an equal number of seats of Arch Studio...so "free" is a great deal, the issue is finding a "place" for it in your process.

J-G
2003-11-12, 05:39 PM
thanks for the replies everyone. It is nice to get a feeling for its use.

PeterJ
2003-11-12, 08:34 PM
I have AAS on the free deal and having played with it a fair bit I find myself considering sketch up. There is a lot of good in AAS but it is not an intuitive enough modelling package for me. I like the sketching stuff though.

Somewhere it would be great if a sketch tool could export a mass model to our friendly piece of software to work up. Massing in Revit is no better than that in AAS and doesn't have the sketchy stuff. I don't have a problem thta Revit or AAS can't do the touchy feely lines that Skethup or piranesi can do. I don't mind htatbeing a third party matter, but it would be helpful to get a more intuitive feel to the inital modellin phase.

J-G
2003-11-12, 09:04 PM
I have been looking at both AAS and SketchUp main for use as a quick modeling tool for residential work. We often get stuck with some strange roof framing situations and a model can really help to validate the design. SketchUp is definitely a better modeler. AAS would work for sketching, but tracing paper is probably just as easy since you aren't really getting a return on the modeling side. If the next version of Revit improves on roof modeling (which I somehow doubt), then there wouldn't really be a need to look into something else. The more that I look at other programs, I find that Revit is really put together in an intuitive way. Its levels, and parametric walls are hard not to love.

I like the levels and walls in Revit, the quick modeling of Sketchup (just sketch a roof profile and pull), and the tracing paper/ grid in AAS.

mlgatzke
2003-11-13, 04:34 AM
I too have been using SketchUp - for about the last 2 months. However, I've been finding it most helpful for output. It's sketchy display ability comes in VERY handy when dealing with clients or for "characterized" presentations. It's also been nice for sending via email (after stripping out what's not necessary) and emailing to clients so they can view and critique using the SketchUp Viewer (as well as Acrobat). I find SketchUp to be a VERY nice tool. Now if Revit could only license the display engine from SketchUp and allow us to view or output Revit views as "sketches".