PDA

View Full Version : VPN and Revit

briand
2005-02-25, 05:43 PM
I have been attempting to use Revit at home by using my existing VPN connection to my office, but I have had no success in obtaining or borrowing a license over the VPN so far. Otherwise, the VPN is working.

Does anyone know if Revit uses a particular port or ports that I must open, or any other ideas on how I can get this to work?

Thanks

Steve_Stafford
2005-02-25, 05:54 PM
Are you using a network or stand alone version of Revit?

briand
2005-02-25, 06:03 PM
I am using a network version

Steve_Stafford
2005-02-25, 06:13 PM
I am using a network version
While connected to the VPN tunnel:
Are you able to ping your license server?
Can you acquire a license from this license server (the same as if you were in the office) while connected to the VPN? (you need this working first)

If yes you should be able have the option to borrow when you choose the menu item:

HELP>PRODUCT LICENSE and INFORMATION

Scott D Davis
2005-02-25, 06:19 PM
yes, you definately want to borrow a license over the VPN. Don't 'connect' to the license server and run a network license like you would sitting in the office. Revit will talk to the license server repeatedly while the program is running. If you borrow a license, you can then disconnect from the VPN, and even the internet and work without extra iNet traffic.

briand
2005-02-25, 06:19 PM
I can ping the license server and open non-revit files form the network servers, but I cannot aquire a license over the VPN.

I get a message saying that Revit cannot find the license server, but I can open the folder that contains the license file. That is what makes me think that there is a port that I need to open for either the license software or Revit.

Steve_Stafford
2005-02-25, 06:28 PM
Are you using a dial-up connection or broadband. I seen users not able to do this with dial-up. I have not had to tweak ports, the VPN tunnel usually locks down everything as needed anyway. I've used two different VPN systems Cisco and Sonicwall without trouble either just using the license over the net or borrowing.

What are you using for firewall etc?

briand
2005-02-25, 06:43 PM
I have a DSL connection. I am using McAfee firewall, but I turned it off and tried to aquire a license and it still did not find it.

I am using a Linksys VPN endpoint router as my VPN connection. I don't have VPN software installed. Do I need to install VPN software to get Revit to work?

Steve_Stafford
2005-02-25, 06:50 PM
Not familiar with that device sorry. Is the VPN based at the office and you connect to this VPN via client software? That is how the firms I've worked for have done it. Yours sounds different to me.

Andre Baros
2005-02-25, 07:25 PM
Using Windows XP to VPN in (Cable modem at home, DSL at work), running Revit with the network licence just like in the office. I've even left if running for a whole weekend without loosing my connection or license. However, saving back to central takes a while (he he).

Dimitri Harvalias
2005-02-25, 10:23 PM
It may not be finding the licenses server due to naming, if you edit your hosts file to resolve the name to IP or vice versa it may find your license server. This is the path to the hosts file C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc then open it in notepad. There are instructions with the file but basically you will enter the IP address then hit the tab key, then enter server name. I have found this resolves numerous VPN server finding glitches but I have yet to test with Revit.

(Signed Peter... Dimitri's IT guy)