PDA

View Full Version : 2014 How to set User Profile Height when creating sheets

moseeng
2014-01-24, 10:46 PM
I guess "Profiles" is the place to ask this. I have an alignment and profile and have created sheets using Output/Plan Production in C3D 2014. Everything works well except the new profiles it creates are always too tall for the viewport window. I can go back in to each after they are created and put a correct User Profile Height, but I have 20 profiles and that will take a while. Is there not a way to set the User Profile Height prior to creating the sheets? I went through the "Create Sheets" procedure and on the Profile Views section clicked on the Profile View Wizard. Under that and on the Profile View Height page, it's set to "User specified" and has a value of 106.02'. Not sure where that came from and it won't let me edit it as the box is greyed out. All the profiles it creates are 106.02' tall however I need them to be about 76' tall. After the profiles are created I can right click and go into Profile View Properties and Elevations and the User Specified Height is no longer greyed out and I can adjust it as needed. Is there not a place I can change this default User Specified Height? I've looked through everything I can think of and haven't had any luck. Thanks in advance!!

Opie
2014-01-27, 04:54 PM
I guess "Profiles" is the place to ask this. I have an alignment and profile and have created sheets using Output/Plan Production in C3D 2014. Everything works well except the new profiles it creates are always too tall for the viewport window. I can go back in to each after they are created and put a correct User Profile Height, but I have 20 profiles and that will take a while. Is there not a way to set the User Profile Height prior to creating the sheets? I went through the "Create Sheets" procedure and on the Profile Views section clicked on the Profile View Wizard. Under that and on the Profile View Height page, it's set to "User specified" and has a value of 106.02'. Not sure where that came from and it won't let me edit it as the box is greyed out. All the profiles it creates are 106.02' tall however I need them to be about 76' tall. After the profiles are created I can right click and go into Profile View Properties and Elevations and the User Specified Height is no longer greyed out and I can adjust it as needed. Is there not a place I can change this default User Specified Height? I've looked through everything I can think of and haven't had any luck. Thanks in advance!!

Edit your template file that you are using for your Plan Production. In the layout you are specifying, you need to adjust the height of your viewport which is designated as your profile. Set this to the desired height. You may need to convert this height based on your scale. Save the template. Then recreate the sheets.

moseeng
2014-01-27, 06:16 PM
OK, I double checked the scales throughout when I was creating my viewports, and when I created my them I used a profile with a different vertical scale than the scale for the split profile styles, so seems to throw things off.

See if you agree that I'm thinking of things correctly. In the template I'm using (ARCH D sheet, 1"=40, plan and profile) the profile viewport is 11.1" tall or 444' in model space. If I use a vertical exaggeration in my profile of 5 (1"=8'), that should mean my viewport is 88.8' tall right?

Recreate viewports. Pick "Profile View" as my "Profile View Style" under the last section of "Create View Frames". If I check the style at this point, I do have the correct scale of 1"=8' for vertical.

Then go into "Create Sheets". On the "Profile View" section I click "Profile View Wizard". Under the "Profile View Height" it now states 53.01' as the height and it's greyed out (why the heck don't they let me personalize that setting!!). Create my sheets (now the dang North Arrow doesn't align anymore????? Errr, another story). Any idea where it's now coming up with 53.01'? Does the full profile I've already created have anything to do with any of this? When I"m creating the viewports, if I pick "Intermediate Viewport" as my style, it comes up with a profile height of about 84', which is closer, but then all the profiles it creates have a datum of 0 (should be about 1100). I wouldn't have thought the style you use in creating viewports would have an effect on the profiles created, but I guess I'm wrong there. If I'm using split profiles, does the style of the profile used during view frame creation need to be either First, Last, or Intermediate View?

Plus this drawing is getting so big, I think I'll need to buy a new PC as my 8 GB just isn't enough (maxed out on the motherboard).

Opie
2014-01-28, 09:43 PM
You should be using a template that you have previously setup to work with a specific scale. For additional scales, create additional templates / layouts.

moseeng
2014-01-28, 10:11 PM
Yeah, I'm using the default template for Plan/Profile from Civil3D: Civil 3D (Imperial) Plan and Profile.dwt I just deleted the borders on each tab leaving the viewports and inserted my border. It has all the different scales built into it and I just pick the 1"=40' scaled template when creating.

Opie
2014-01-28, 10:26 PM
The Plan and Production creation tools do not modify the viewport for your profile. It takes the dimensions of that viewport and uses them in the calculations to create your profiles for your sheets.

moseeng
2014-01-28, 10:45 PM
Yeah, I understand that. I'm using a template with Plan and Profile viewports of 1"=40' scale. That's why I'm so confused as to why the height of the profiles don't match the height of the viewport. I shouldn't have to go back in and manually change the height of all the profiles.

acivilm
2015-02-10, 08:08 PM
Not sure if you got your answer to this, but I think that it could be due to the location of the axis titles in your profile view style. I am guessing that you don't have those titles displayed, in the style, as I haven't really ever seen them displayed on purpose, but I think they could be throwing off where the insertion point of your profile view is in your viewport. For example, if your profile view style has its bottom axis title beneath it, and offset in the Y direction -1, this might be making your profile view too big for your viewport as you weren't taking into account fitting the bottom axis title. That is where I would look if I were you. I may have it backwards though too, it might have something to do with the top axis title or the overall profile view title and not the axis titles. Just something to look into if you didn't already figure it out.