PDA

View Full Version : data shortcut in Map 3D?

dmingo
2014-05-06, 05:12 PM
I have received Civil 3D drawings from a consultant with 'data shortcuts' in them.
Anyone know if there is a work around for this?

Shawn_Herring
2014-05-06, 05:20 PM
I don't believe you can data shortcut in Map 3D. So it is probably best if you ask them to PROMOTE their references in Civil 3D and re-send the file.

cadtag
2014-05-06, 06:02 PM
a work around to accomplish what, exactly?

Are you seeing the c3d objects? are they not showing up? do you want to edit them? and do you have the c3d object enabler installed?

dmingo
2014-05-06, 06:51 PM
I have the enabler installed and I see the objects that are in the main drawing. After talking to the consultant, they have done their design work on a second drawing and are using the "data shortcut" in Civil 3D, as well as x-references. I can see the X-ref info as well.
Please bear in mind, I am not Civil savvy. I have read through the process, but I don't have the software. Maybe down the road.

I am the keeper-of-the-files for now. We print the layouts for various services and provide the files for extensions to the sewer system at a later date or future upgrades.

BlackBox
2014-05-06, 07:10 PM
Try asking them to send you a drawing that results from the AECEXPORTTOAUTOCAD Command.

Cheers

dmingo
2014-05-07, 02:47 PM
Thanks for all the help. I'll send the request off to the consultants.

cadtag
2014-05-07, 05:56 PM
uhmmmm Do bear in mind that if the civil geeks give you a squashed file that's been exported to autocad, it will _only_ have basic acad entities, and will no longer have any civil data at all.

If your are going to "provide the files for extensions to the sewer system at a later date or future upgrades", then whomever you provide them to will NOT have any of the intelligence that's there now, and will spend more time/money/effort recreating the data from the basic linework.

BlackBox
2014-05-07, 08:33 PM
uhmmmm Do bear in mind that if the civil geeks give you a squashed file that's been exported to autocad, it will _only_ have basic acad entities, and will no longer have any civil data at all.

If your are going to "provide the files for extensions to the sewer system at a later date or future upgrades", then whomever you provide them to will NOT have any of the intelligence that's there now, and will spend more time/money/effort recreating the data from the basic linework.

Perhaps I'm overlooking something here... How can the OP work with C3D embedded intelligence, either for their own internal work, or for sewer system extensions, using Map 3D?

Cheers

dmingo
2014-05-08, 12:48 PM
What we ask for from our consultants is to provide the contract set of drawings as PDF files, as well as having them eTransmit the drawings and sending us the zip files.
Now, what I was trying to do was unzip the files and re-establish the directory system and look at them using Map 3D. I can see all of the Xref's, but not that one data shortcut.
Now, please correct me if I am wrong. For future extensions or modifications, if we move to Civil 3D, or send the files to someone who has Civil 3D, the files should be readable with all information visible?

BlackBox
2014-05-08, 01:03 PM
... what I was trying to do was unzip the files and re-establish the directory system and look at them using Map 3D. I can see all of the Xref's, but not that one data shortcut.

Looking at C3D Objects in any non-C3D application, even with the appropriate C3D Object Enabler installed, is about all you're going to be able to do... Object Enabler is a misnomer, as it does not 'enable' anything, it 'displays' content. Nothing more, AFAIK.

Now, please correct me if I am wrong. For future extensions or modifications, if we move to Civil 3D, or send the files to someone who has Civil 3D, the files should be readable with all information visible?

If you're receiving C3D data, and you need to distribute C3D data, then yes... You should be working in C3D and not Map 3D, IMO.

Cheers