PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Mapexport command

trevor.hatch597223
2014-05-06, 06:51 PM
Let me preface this by saying that I have never used ArcGIS. I am trying to export some polygons to be used to reference some ownership plats in ArcGIS. My GIS guy is telling me there are to be six files exported. He says "The shapefile usually consists of 6 files, .dbf,.prj,.sbn,.sbx,.shp,.shx" I'm having trouble getting all six files, when I export the map data, I only get four. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. He also wants me to attach data to the files that uniquely identify each polygon. I have no idea how to do this. If someone can explain the process to me as if I were a five year old I would appreciate it. Seeing that I have no background in ArcGIS and never use the mapping functions in autocad, I'm having a tough time finding instructions basic enough for me to follow. I'm using Civil 3D 2012. Thanks in advance!

cadtag
2014-05-06, 08:45 PM
are your 'polygons' MPOLYGONS ? Closed plines? open Plines?

trevor.hatch597223
2014-05-06, 08:54 PM
They are closed, and I check the box to treat closed polylines as polygons.

trevor.hatch597223
2014-05-06, 10:26 PM
Well, I got it figured out. Still not even sure what I was doing wrong before.

Jmurphy
2014-05-06, 10:41 PM
Well first off your GIS guy is a little off, there only need to be three files, .shp (geometry) dbf (data) and shx (sort of a link between the other two) you may also get the .prj which is the projection file if you have a coordinate system assigned to the dwg. The sbn and sbx files are created by ESRI and used for it's own use.
As for getting the data to export with the geometry if you still need help ask.

trevor.hatch597223
2014-05-06, 11:18 PM
I think I finally got it. Thanks!