PDA

View Full Version : Controlling/Lock Revit Linestyles? -- Is this possible?

mark.moore677609
2014-11-05, 03:33 PM
Hi all,

We have a really bad issue in our office -- people always creating linestyles that shouldn't be created, using the wrong naming etc. etc. I'm sure people have similar issues here. I'm wondering, is there a way we could 'lock' our linestyles or disable the creation of them for certain users, or something like that?

I want to be able to lock everyone out of it so they can either come see myself, or my BIM Manager about making a new linetype...I haven't been able to find much about this, but am wondering how people control this?

KGC
2014-11-26, 05:42 PM
I believe you can go through Worksets to lock this out. By default, it only shows worksets, but you have the option of showing other categories that can be checked out.

It sounds like a great idea and it shouldn't affect people too much, but it might and in my opinion the focus should be on the staff and training. Just my 2 cents.

Archredcat
2015-05-08, 07:47 PM
Agreed. It seems like it would be a common problem for any CAD or BIM manager. You work tirelessly on creating a standard that works for everyone, and then the minute a designer gets their hands on it they changed something. The challenge here is that you need the system to be flexible enough for users to be able to adjust as needed but not flexible enough to change all of your standards. Revit is on the full flexibility side.

The current goal of our company is to fully develop standards, document them and then train and manage to those standards. It's an arduous task but gets the best results, especially since the tools we work with require some flexibility.

Hope that helps.

david_peterson
2015-05-20, 07:41 PM
We have our standard line types displayed on our project home page. When we find the offending ones, we've simply warned our users that they may be deleted or changed to a standard type without notice.
We'll make an archive of the model and keep it hidden so we can get the information back for them.
When they see the blank detail or all of their work missing, they only complain about it once.
Then they realize they need to follow the standard.
They usually ask then before just creating them.
Most of the offending ones come from junk they pull off the internet and don't clean up before they place in the model.