PDA

View Full Version : keyboard commands tweaked

huascarfdez
2005-03-09, 10:50 AM
This is a little tip from my day to day experience about accessing commands from the keyboard.

I use to invoke the dimension style command much less often (if never) than the distance command to inquire about the distance within a certain part of my drawing. By default you access dimstyle using D in your keyboard and distance command using DI. Instead you can change the PGP file to use D as distance and DD as dimension style. Also I use Quickselect very often; so, in order to invoke that command ligthning fast, I use the Q key, which doesn't have any command applied to it by default. And finally, How often do you use the P key for prompting the Pan command? I don't, ever since I use Pan from the wheel buttom of my mouse. I'd rather have P for Polyline and PP, or even PAN for that matter, as the Pan command.

Those are little changes to the keyboard command but it makes a big diference in productivity to me.

Rick.B
2005-03-09, 06:17 PM
Try using the Command Alias Editor... in the Tools fly-out in Express Tools to make the changes.

scwegner
2005-03-09, 06:33 PM
I do this a bit myself, but there is something to be said for leaving the defaults alone. I try to make my customizations so that anyone who sits down at my computer can be up and running without having to learn any of my changes. Everyone has their own button layouts and nobody wants to have to use the menus for everything, but if you know the key commands, you can work anywhere. To that end, all my buttons are as obvious as I can make them and all my aliases are key combinations unused by the default.

Mike.Perry
2005-03-09, 06:42 PM
Hi

Have a browse of the following threads (they contain some useful information concerning Acad.pgp) -

Change Aliases (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=12121)

Separate .pgp files (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=12462)

Have a good one, Mike

wookie
2005-03-23, 11:12 AM
Some ppl at my workplace have also redefined C from CIRCLE to COPY.
But I agree with scwegner....its better to leave the defaults alone, and come up with an unused key combination (and record them!).
For the record....I dont pan with my wheel, I use -P

thl
2005-03-24, 08:18 PM
Idis agree with those who reject the idea of changing the standard pgp key strokes. the whole point of customization is to enable the user to work more efficently. That is why I carry my pgp and other files in my thumb drive so I can work effeciently where ever I am. As for others using my computer in my situation as in most I believe my machine is my machine installing and replacing pgp files is a simple matter. I say do whatever it takes to make your work easy.

drurain
2005-03-25, 12:40 PM
I think why not to make up two backups of the PGP file, one is your own customized and the other is the default and saved them into a let's call 'PGP' folder in somewhere of your hard driver. In AutoCAD we can use ALIASEDIT command (of course you should install the EXPRESS TOOLS at first) to alternatively import them on the menu File-Import of the AutoCAD Aliasedit Editor box. Surely also we can edit many different ALIASes according many he or she 's characters and Export these ALIASes into many different PGP files. When Jan needs jan.pgp let her to import jan.pgp, when Tom needs tom.pgp let him to import tom.pgp.

scwegner
2005-03-25, 02:32 PM
Idis agree with those who reject the idea of changing the standard pgp key strokes. the whole point of customization is to enable the user to work more efficently. That is why I carry my pgp and other files in my thumb drive so I can work effeciently where ever I am. As for others using my computer in my situation as in most I believe my machine is my machine installing and replacing pgp files is a simple matter. I say do whatever it takes to make your work easy.

In theory, I would agree. I have no problem bringing my own pgp if I'm going to be working on another computer. That said, I don't trust everyone out there to consider swaping pgp files a "simple matter". The goal is to be idiot-proof, and in my work situation at least, that means minimizing the amount the user has to think. I guess it depends on how much you expect your computer to be used by others and whether or not those other people have any customization know-how.

mike.mccall
2005-03-26, 03:45 PM
I also believe that one should keep AutoCAD as is, so I created some simple lisp routines to make commands easier to input.

Such as:

(defun c:zx () (command "zoom""e""zoom"".95x"))
(defun c:zp () (command "zoom""p"))
(defun c:ze () (command "zoom""e"))
(defun c:zz () (command "zoom"".75x"))
(defun c:pa () (command "purge""all""*""n"))
(defun c:cb () (command "_copybase"))
(defun c:cc () (command "copy"))

These all work great except for: (defun c:cc () (command "copy")) since the upgrade from AutoCAD 2002 to AutoCAD 2005 when the copy command went to multiple copy by default instead of the single copy that was the default in AutoCAD 2002 this command still gives me the single copy and I would like it to use the multiple. Anyone have any ideas as to how to make this work like copy in 2005?

Mike.Perry
2005-03-26, 04:25 PM
These all work great except for: (defun c:cc () (command "copy")) since the upgrade from AutoCAD 2002 to AutoCAD 2005 when the copy command went to multiple copy by default instead of the single copy that was the default in AutoCAD 2002 this command still gives me the single copy and I would like it to use the multiple. Anyone have any ideas as to how to make this work like copy in 2005?Hi

The following comes via Lee Ambrosius....

(defun C:CC () (command "_.Copy" (ssget) "" "_M"))

Have a good one, Mike

mike.mccall
2005-03-26, 04:33 PM
Thanks a million this has been bugging me since last March when I install Acad 2005. I am still new to AutoLISP and I am trying to learn as much as I can. It's just difficult while juggling work/family time.

cwade
2005-03-28, 09:09 PM
I also believe that one should keep AutoCAD as is, so I created some simple lisp routines to make commands easier to input.

Such as:

(defun c:zx () (command "zoom""e""zoom"".95x"))
(defun c:zp () (command "zoom""p"))
(defun c:ze () (command "zoom""e"))
(defun c:zz () (command "zoom"".75x"))
(defun c:pa () (command "purge""all""*""n"))
(defun c:cb () (command "_copybase"))
(defun c:cc () (command "copy"))

These all work great except for: (defun c:cc () (command "copy")) since the upgrade from AutoCAD 2002 to AutoCAD 2005 when the copy command went to multiple copy by default instead of the single copy that was the default in AutoCAD 2002 this command still gives me the single copy and I would like it to use the multiple. Anyone have any ideas as to how to make this work like copy in 2005?

(defun c:cc () (command "copy" "m"))

or

(defun c:cc () (command "copy" PAUSE))

Should do the trick, I am not positive though, I haven't tried it.