PDA

View Full Version : Can't change workset of linked dwg? Bug?

david.kingham
2005-03-15, 11:30 PM
I'm trying to get a journal file to work so I can export schedules but I get the dreaded The following links could not be updated because you dont have the workset editable.....so I was going to put the linked files on their own workset and never relinquish that workset...but....I can't change the workset of a linked file....any suggestions besides reinserting the dwgs?

irwin
2005-03-16, 01:36 AM
I just tried changing the workset of a linked dwg and had no difficulty. What is the exact error message you are getting?

david.kingham
2005-03-16, 02:25 PM
It's just greyed out under properties and yes I have it editable

irwin
2005-03-16, 07:28 PM
It's just greyed out under properties and yes I have it editable
Hm.

Here's what I'm doing. I have a linked dwg file in an editable workset. I select the instance in the graphics window and go to Properties. Among the Instance Parameters, the "Edited by" parameter shows my user name. The Workset property is not grayed out and I can change it. Note that there is also a Type parameter called Workset which IS grayed out. It changes automatically when the instance parameter is changed. There is also an "Edited by" Type parameter which also shows my user name.

Can you say exactly how you're getting there? Is it a DWG or rvt link? Are you trying to change the type parameter or the instance parameter? Is the workset editable or just the element? Do both the instance and type parameters show your user name as the value of the "Edited by" parameter?

david.kingham
2005-03-16, 08:05 PM
I couldn't get it to work so I recreated the link on the correct workset, with that I still cannot change it if I wanted to, I have the workset editable and workset is greyed out under both instance and type, my user name in both and it is a dwg

JamesVan
2005-03-16, 08:35 PM
David,

Did you link the DWG using the "Current View Only" option? If so, it automatically assigns to the view's workset and cannot be changed.

JV

david.kingham
2005-03-16, 08:37 PM
Sure did, *shrug* what ya gonna do

irwin
2005-03-17, 01:01 AM
If you have a view-specific linked dwg and your intention is to make it stop being view-specific then I don't know any way to do it except to delete and link again. If your intent is to keep it view-specific but in a different view then there is a way to do it: copy the original linked instance, paste it into a different view, and then delete the original. Cut doesn't work -- you have to copy, paste, and then delete (presumably because deleting the last instance of a linked dwg deletes the symbol).

By the way, this is not a workset issue -- everything here applies to non-workset files as well.