PDA

View Full Version : BIM strategy for Painting, Wallpapering, and other wall accents

mendler
2015-07-17, 12:55 AM
Hi all,

I've been running into a BIM problem particularly with painting jobs that require specificity of accent walls that occur differently per client and from which most model-based approaches are too heavy.

I work in interior design mostly so painting and finishwork ends up being a major practice. Most of the time when I'm creating drawings for painting contractors I have a few goals in mind:

1. A schedule of painted surfaces.(each wall surface, the type of paint, manufacturer, code, surface area, etc.)

2. A plan view that tags and locates each wall surface separately to be painted (the tags are mark-based and are filtered in the schedule),

2A. Must be able to tag and schedule wall surfaces to be painted (even split wall surfaces! not just the wall element!)

3. Material to applied with the paint tool via the RTV paint plugin, and for that entry to show up in the schedule. I understand that this has no thickness..but it is data and works best with design process.

5. IS THIS IMPOSSIBLE to do in a fully BIM-operational way??? Or must I just KLUDGE this every single time with my clients and use text annotations like a manic chimney sweeper?

6. If yes to the above question...how many of you would like to see something like this implemented?

I've done research left and right and have reviewed various threads and the only way to do this the BIM way is to create multiple wall types with various paints pre-applied as a infinitessemal finish layer, and then produce a multi-category material take-off schedule. This would be terribly overbuilt...
Thoughts?

Thanks!

M

iwalker673339
2015-07-31, 04:58 PM
I'm not sure if I fully understand your issue, but have you tried using the material tag to tag your split surfaced? I have had some success in elevation views tagging any number of materials so long as the material has information associated with it. The information I'm talking about is added to the specific materials in your material database. You can also add comments, identity data and the likes to the native Revit materials or your custom and duplicated materials too. Once the information has been inputted, using the material tag to tag them in elevation should work. You can also set up a material takeoff for your schedule and filter it in ways that would include painted objects (yes / no) and its areas. You can add comments and other identity data to the schedule too so long as you have associated it with that particular material. Unfortunately I haven't had a need to convey this material in a plan view yet so I don't have any ideas there. Hope this helps.