PDA

View Full Version : Large-Format Scanner/Multi-Function Opinions

Wanderer
2005-03-22, 05:37 PM
Was just told to fill out the requisition form for a large-format scanner.

Does anyone have any opinions/recommendations?

Some of these prints are very old and a little tattered, I will need to address that if possible.

Also, what kind of interface, software, etc comes with and how easy it is to use?
Size isn't really a problem, I have the space for it, it can be as big as needed.

Just looking for different actual experiences before I decide where we want to go with this.

TIA

RobertAitken
2005-03-23, 09:46 AM
I know you've got authorisation to purchase but isn't there a copy shop nearby that can scan them in for you?

How many are you likely to scan in? if it's one or two then is it really worth the expense? If it's hundreds or thousands, do you have the manpower to manage the task. If you have how competent are they? Reason I ask is last place I was at had a large format scanner/printer thang. It was decide to scan in all the old paper drawings. After about 4 weeks work getting thing "idiot proof" (it's a term I no longer use cos you can think like some of those people) we let loose some help we managed to get. All they had to do was scan the drawing (the software gave it a sequential number) and enter some info into the spreadsheet. I wasn't difficult and it ran smoothly on all the tests we performed. It didn't when we let the help loose on it. After spending a day sorting out the initial 2000 drawing mess the project was abandoned.

If you get someone in with experience then these problems can be eliminated and it can work out cheaper then doing it in house.

How will you be using the scanned images? Will you convert them to vector or amend the raster images using Raster editing software e.g. RasterCAD?

Although it looks like a very good idea, make sure you have costed every eventuality including those you can't think off.

Robert Aitken

Wanderer
2005-03-23, 02:03 PM
I know you've got authorisation to purchase but isn't there a copy shop nearby that can scan them in for you?

How many are you likely to scan in? if it's one or two then is it really worth the expense? If it's hundreds or thousands, do you have the manpower to manage the task. If you have how competent are they? Reason I ask is last place I was at had a large format scanner/printer thang. It was decide to scan in all the old paper drawings. After about 4 weeks work getting thing "idiot proof" (it's a term I no longer use cos you can think like some of those people) we let loose some help we managed to get. All they had to do was scan the drawing (the software gave it a sequential number) and enter some info into the spreadsheet. I wasn't difficult and it ran smoothly on all the tests we performed. It didn't when we let the help loose on it. After spending a day sorting out the initial 2000 drawing mess the project was abandoned.

If you get someone in with experience then these problems can be eliminated and it can work out cheaper then doing it in house.

How will you be using the scanned images? Will you convert them to vector or amend the raster images using Raster editing software e.g. RasterCAD?

Although it looks like a very good idea, make sure you have costed every eventuality including those you can't think off.

Robert Aitken
I am just taking whatever scraps they will throw me.

They are requesting this from the capital equipment fund, which will be far, far easier than requesting the services from a project fund (which I have been doing once a year for the past four years).

This isn't going to be a big rollout. I have thousands of drawings, but, there won't be a rush to get them done.

I imagine I will leave them in raster format. Conversion wouldn't be worth the time for me. In the beginning, at least, I will be doing the scanning myself. Although, between this and another project, my chances are looking good for an assistant.

Updating wouldn't be done to the raster images, they would be done to our master CAD files. The scanned images would be accessed as an archive just like our contractors' project files are in the current setup.

thanks for sharing, I really appreciate it.

jaberwok
2005-03-23, 10:37 PM
I'd agree with Robert. I have both used the services of a scanning bureau and worked for a different bureau (tracing maps). Getting good scanned output is not a simple as you may think.
Still, if you can get it from the Capital budget, I guess you don't really have a choice - take it.

Ed Jobe
2005-03-23, 11:19 PM
I went with an HP 815mfp. There are several other systems out now that provide scan/copy/print functionality. You can get just a scanner, but scanning is half of copying, so by including a printer, you get copying/printing as well.

Wanderer
2005-03-31, 07:36 PM
I went with an HP 815mfp. There are several other systems out now that provide scan/copy/print functionality. You can get just a scanner, but scanning is half of copying, so by including a printer, you get copying/printing as well.
thanks for the input... not sure at all what type to get yet, but, the boss brought up a combination one... (already have a copier and rarely use my plotter, so, not totally necessary, i'm still pretty open about it)

bosscher
2005-04-01, 07:41 PM
I am using a Kip 2050 scanner along side of a Kip 6000 plotter, allowing us to copy or scan to file. I have been using this setup for over a year now and it has been working great.

andrewg
2005-04-02, 12:31 PM
We just purchased a Xerox 6040 scanner/printer/copier combination a month ago.

Works great at all three. It's simple enough for someone to walk in, feed in a sheet & produce as many copies as they want from one scan.

The printer is also set up as a network printer, so anyone on the network can print to it.

It also is connect to a PC via a scuzzi card. For archiving prints, I use Open Office's drawing program (has a twain driver to interface with scanner). I scan in each sheet, change the slide tab name to match the sheet #, & scan in whole sets for each project. I can then export them out as a single pdf file, set up bookmarks to organize the sheets into arch, struct, mech, etc, and then bookmark each page with it's sheet # within each section. With these drawings on the network, it makes it easy for others to view & print all or portions of the sheets. For off-campus consultants, I'll stick a copy in a folder that can be accessed via ftp.

File sizes for E sized sheets seem to average about 1 meg per sheet, so once combined our files tend to run from 30 to 100 meg.

We've been very happy with the setup, given that our former machine was an old Xerox analog copier, - one pass thru of the original for each copy.

We had to do something, as we also have ~ 5000 paper drawings to archive, many over 50 years old (old linen sheets), and getting very tattered from constantly being unstapled & copied with the old machine. The local local print shops were charging ~$3.50 per sheet to scan & burn a sheet to a cd. Our old Xerox died, and we still need the ability to copy large sheets, so adding the printer and scan functions really made sense. I think the total expenditure was around $25k.

Wanderer
2006-01-04, 08:22 PM
crud, don't know what the deal is, but, I just totally lost everything I typed... bogus. right...

Thanks for all of the information, that's really helpful. We're finally moving forward with this purchase and my boss is leaning toward a multi-function.

I can't seem to find info on large-format multi-funtions on the xerox site, although, I'm going to keep plugging away till I do... oh! finally... here we go (http://www.xerox.com/go/xrx/equipment/prod_category.jsp?cat=Wide%20Format&metrics=HDR&Xcntry=USA&Xlang=en_US), it wasn't listed under the same product drop-down. I don't actually see a product number, though?

I was just looking at the hp DesignJet 4500 (http://search.hp.com/query.html?charset=iso-8859-1&hpvc=sitewide&la=en&qp=site%3Ah71016.www7.hp.com&qs=&lk=1&rf=0&uf=1&nh=10&st=1&hps=SMB+Store+Only&hpn=Return+to+smb+store&hpr=&hpa=http%3A//h71016.www7.hp.com/html/infodesk/index.asp&hph=&hpl=0&hpo=&h_audience=&h_audiencerestrict=&qt=HP+Designjet+4500+Scanner&ocoldqt=%2Bdesignjet+%2B4500+%2Bscanner&oc=1143094)while I'm puttering around... anyone use one of these puppies before?

any other suggestions?

We just purchased a Xerox 6040 scanner/printer/copier combination a month ago.

Works great at all three. It's simple enough for someone to walk in, feed in a sheet & produce as many copies as they want from one scan.

The printer is also set up as a network printer, so anyone on the network can print to it.

It also is connect to a PC via a scuzzi card. For archiving prints, I use Open Office's drawing program (has a twain driver to interface with scanner). I scan in each sheet, change the slide tab name to match the sheet #, & scan in whole sets for each project. I can then export them out as a single pdf file, set up bookmarks to organize the sheets into arch, struct, mech, etc, and then bookmark each page with it's sheet # within each section. With these drawings on the network, it makes it easy for others to view & print all or portions of the sheets. For off-campus consultants, I'll stick a copy in a folder that can be accessed via ftp.

File sizes for E sized sheets seem to average about 1 meg per sheet, so once combined our files tend to run from 30 to 100 meg.

We've been very happy with the setup, given that our former machine was an old Xerox analog copier, - one pass thru of the original for each copy.

We had to do something, as we also have ~ 5000 paper drawings to archive, many over 50 years old (old linen sheets), and getting very tattered from constantly being unstapled & copied with the old machine. The local local print shops were charging ~$3.50 per sheet to scan & burn a sheet to a cd. Our old Xerox died, and we still need the ability to copy large sheets, so adding the printer and scan functions really made sense. I think the total expenditure was around $25k.

Wanderer
2006-01-17, 08:18 PM
just as an update (I didn't get any replies here, but, did get a few comments on the blog posting I'd made)... I have gotten multiple recommendations for oce' and hp multi-functions.

There are 4 that I am strongly looking at, 2 of each brand. The two lower-end ones are 18 & 19k and the two more advanced ones are 20 and 22k I believe. I got quotes on the HP's from a local dealer, but, all I've gotten out of the oce dealer so far was the brochures with the specs.

I'll be chatting with my boss about this in our meeting this afternoon, can't wait to get my hands on one of these puppies.

crud, don't know what the deal is, but, I just totally lost everything I typed... bogus. right...

Thanks for all of the information, that's really helpful. We're finally moving forward with this purchase and my boss is leaning toward a multi-function.

I can't seem to find info on large-format multi-funtions on the xerox site, although, I'm going to keep plugging away till I do... oh! finally... here we go (http://www.xerox.com/go/xrx/equipment/prod_category.jsp?cat=Wide%20Format&metrics=HDR&Xcntry=USA&Xlang=en_US), it wasn't listed under the same product drop-down. I don't actually see a product number, though?

I was just looking at the hp DesignJet 4500 (http://search.hp.com/query.html?charset=iso-8859-1&hpvc=sitewide&la=en&qp=site%3Ah71016.www7.hp.com&qs=&lk=1&rf=0&uf=1&nh=10&st=1&hps=SMB+Store+Only&hpn=Return+to+smb+store&hpr=&hpa=http%3A//h71016.www7.hp.com/html/infodesk/index.asp&hph=&hpl=0&hpo=&h_audience=&h_audiencerestrict=&qt=HP+Designjet+4500+Scanner&ocoldqt=%2Bdesignjet+%2B4500+%2Bscanner&oc=1143094)while I'm puttering around... anyone use one of these puppies before?

any other suggestions?

Phil Ferguson
2006-01-18, 02:01 PM
I will echo bosscher's experience. We have had KIP systems for about 5 yrs now. The scanner (KIP 2080) that we have is on it's second printer (we just upgraded from a KIP 2720 to a KIP 6000) recently. We also just started using the KIP software (Powerprint, etc.)...I really like the software and it allows you to convert to many different formats including PDF.

They might be a little on the pricey side (I don't know what your budget is) but I have found that the system is very reliable. If you like, I can get you some contact info for our reseller (who may be able to refer you to a local reseller or at least give you some food for thought).

Wanderer
2006-01-18, 04:01 PM
I will echo bosscher's experience. We have had KIP systems for about 5 yrs now. The scanner (KIP 2080) that we have is on it's second printer (we just upgraded from a KIP 2720 to a KIP 6000) recently. We also just started using the KIP software (Powerprint, etc.)...I really like the software and it allows you to convert to many different formats including PDF.

They might be a little on the pricey side (I don't know what your budget is) but I have found that the system is very reliable. If you like, I can get you some contact info for our reseller (who may be able to refer you to a local reseller or at least give you some food for thought).Well... speaking to my boss during our meeting yesterday, I brought brochures for most of the plotters I'd looked at, and I believe he is leaning toward HP and Oce' simply because we already have equipment in those brands, and have for years. I like the idea of being able to plot to pdf, as some of our in-house computers don't currently have programs capable of reading tiff's.
A little on the pricey side sounds somewhat scary. ;) The line-item is 20k... if I can justify features I might ask for a little more, but, that's not likely, as I don't even have anyone on staff currently who would be using it often. I'll be pretty sporadic at it now, myself (keep fingers crossed I can get an intern this summer... man, I'll be workin them like a dog on scanning... lol)

Railrose
2006-02-09, 05:39 PM
just as an update (I didn't get any replies here, but, did get a few comments on the blog posting I'd made)... I have gotten multiple recommendations for oce' and hp multi-functions.

There are 4 that I am strongly looking at, 2 of each brand. The two lower-end ones are 18 & 19k and the two more advanced ones are 20 and 22k I believe. I got quotes on the HP's from a local dealer, but, all I've gotten out of the oce dealer so far was the brochures with the specs.

I'll be chatting with my boss about this in our meeting this afternoon, can't wait to get my hands on one of these puppies.

How did you come out on this.

I'm just discovering some of these topics, so am chiming in late. We have a Vidar. Love the scanner, hate the software. I call it the beast because it's big, ugly, & has an attitude. I was told at AU that Vidar was sold out to Contex (I think). I hope they made improvements when they bought them.

Wanderer
2006-02-09, 05:42 PM
How did you come out on this.

I'm just discovering some of these topics, so am chiming in late. We have a Vidar. Love the scanner, hate the software. I call it the beast because it's big, ugly, & has an attitude. I was told at AU that Vidar was sold out to Contex (I think). I hope they made improvements when they bought them.explored a few different options... boss made the final decision and we're ordering an hp815mfp.
Don't know when we'll get this, I'm still waiting on a quote from datacomm to put a network drop or whatever in my file room.

I'll definitely post back once I get it set up and let everyone know how it works.

cwentworth
2006-05-01, 04:55 PM
The scanners are amazing. But it the software that is the most powerful feature. Ideal, there distributor makes software than can take a raster scan and vectorize it and allow you to make changes to old drawings very quickly and easily and print new ones. Very cool stuff. So let me know if you need any info.

Chris
www.3drp.com (http://www.3drp.com/)

Wanderer
2006-05-16, 05:37 PM
alright... seems the 815 isn't made any longer, and we'll be getting the 820 instead... supposed to take delivery sometime this week...

~tapping fingers impatiently~ ;)

explored a few different options... boss made the final decision and we're ordering an hp815mfp.
Don't know when we'll get this, I'm still waiting on a quote from datacomm to put a network drop or whatever in my file room.

I'll definitely post back once I get it set up and let everyone know how it works.

Pontoon
2006-05-17, 08:10 AM
OOooohhh. New toy!

So let us know when it arrives how easy it is to set up and if it is easy to use and stuff.

Hope you have fun playing.

Wanderer
2006-05-17, 04:51 PM
~claps hands in delight~ I look forward to trying it out... I'll definitely take notes and make a full report. :mrgreen: This will also be my first experience taking part in the networking of one of these machines. I'll be interested to see how that part works out.
OOooohhh. New toy!

So let us know when it arrives how easy it is to set up and if it is easy to use and stuff.

Hope you have fun playing.

H-Angus
2006-05-18, 07:59 AM

We also use this one conbined with the HP850ps printer. Since weve had it we have never sent prints out to be copied. The scanner is also adjustable so if you have thicker drawings on say canvas or velum, or their a bit tatty then you can adjust the height of the slot which feeds the drawings through.

Although as we have had this for about 3 years now I expect there is a newer model out.

Edit:

Aaahhhh I should have read the rest of this thread......hope it does every thing you want it to.

rkmcswain
2006-05-26, 06:40 PM
~claps hands in delight~ I look forward to trying it out... I'll definitely take notes and make a full report. :mrgreen: This will also be my first experience taking part in the networking of one of these machines. I'll be interested to see how that part works out. Any news on the delivery/install?

We are also looking at the 815 (or 820 now I guess)...

If you don't mind, where did you obtain this. Direct, dealer, other?

Thank you.

Wanderer
2006-05-30, 05:30 PM
Nope. not yet. :(

I ordered it through my equipment reseller, who also happens to be my acad reseller.
when I got bids (on this hp I obtained 2 bids, and got one price from each of the others I was evaluating), I went up to the manufacturer's website to get a list of the authorized resellers.

Any news on the delivery/install?

We are also looking at the 815 (or 820 now I guess)...

If you don't mind, where did you obtain this. Direct, dealer, other?

Thank you.

rkmcswain
2006-05-30, 06:03 PM
Nope. not yet. :(

I ordered it through my equipment reseller, who also happens to be my acad reseller.
when I got bids (on this hp I obtained 2 bids, and got one price from each of the others I was evaluating), I went up to the manufacturer's website to get a list of the authorized resellers.
Thanks. I don't think we are going to consider the 815/820 any longer. I found out through HP that this model is significantly slower than our current 1050C.

We are mainly looking to add color scanning, so we are going to look at the 4500 scanner.

Still be interested to hear how your 820 works for you.

Wanderer
2006-06-14, 06:14 PM
Alright! I just took delivery of it today. I think I need to call over some muscle to help me put this thing together and where I want it.

I'll make a full report once everything is up and running (perfect timing too... the network drop was almost as late as the plotter arrival and was just finished monday morning)

Thanks. I don't think we are going to consider the 815/820 any longer. I found out through HP that this model is significantly slower than our current 1050C.

We are mainly looking to add color scanning, so we are going to look at the 4500 scanner.

Still be interested to hear how your 820 works for you.

Brian Myers
2006-06-15, 05:44 PM
Alright! I just took delivery of it today. I think I need to call over some muscle to help me put this thing together and where I want it. So Pat and his bad back were not around to help you lift it?

rkmcswain
2006-06-15, 06:27 PM
I'll make a full report once everything is up and running

Watching and waiting.....
:neutral:

Wanderer
2006-06-15, 06:45 PM
lmao... are you kidding? no, this is delivered directly to me from the Mfgr... Pat and Tom will be out this afternoon to set it up for me. The delivery guy just put it in my office, it has to be unpacked, etc, and *that* Pat and his bad back will be here for.

So Pat and his bad back were not around to help you lift it?

Brian Myers
2006-06-16, 04:40 AM
lmao... are you kidding? no, this is delivered directly to me from the Mfgr... Pat and Tom will be out this afternoon to set it up for me. The delivery guy just put it in my office, it has to be unpacked, etc, and *that* Pat and his bad back will be here for.

LOL Sometimes I think they just want to get out of the office, it really only takes one guy unless they need to pick it up and mount it on legs, etc.... I wondered where they vanished to.... 8)

Wanderer
2006-06-16, 05:08 PM
oh, believe me... they needed two guys... in fact, I probably should have lent a hand once or twice.

this thing is MASSIVE! I couldn't get any maint. guys over to move it (meaning the 3 boxes it came in) over to its desination room...
so, yeah... plenty of lifting, and, since the scanner carrier is pretty wide, the assembly took two people... the part where the scanner itself was lifted up onto it's rack was the part where they could have used a 3rd body.

so, they got it assembled, and it needed some warm up time. this morning I calibrated the scanner, and printed something I'd scanned. it was cool...
BUT! I have a problem I need to see if I can work around. it can scan to pdf, which is what I wanted... BUT, using the file explorer on the attached pc... it doesn't see the pdfs... just the tiffs or jpgs...

still need to configure it for the network... this should be fun.

all of the buttons are pictures and don't have any tooltips, so that's sort of a pain in the ***. I had to actually get out the manual and read. :roll:

LOL Sometimes I think they just want to get out of the office, it really only takes one guy unless they need to pick it up and mount it on legs, etc.... I wondered where they vanished to.... 8)

rkmcswain
2006-06-16, 05:37 PM
this thing is MASSIVE! I couldn't get any maint. guys over to move it (meaning the 3 boxes it came in) over to its desination room...
so, yeah... plenty of lifting,

Do you mean that you (meaning your companies employees) unpacked and assembled this?

Wanderer
2006-06-16, 06:44 PM
ohnono... the guys who sold me the equipment unpacked and assembled it. it was shipped from hp directly to me, and put in my lobby, I was just going to ask a couple of the guys to get the boxes moved into the room they should be in for the 'professionals' to assemble a little easier. after it was delivered to me, I called them for a time for them to come set it up.

Do you mean that you (meaning your companies employees) unpacked and assembled this?

H-Angus
2006-06-19, 10:26 AM
so, they got it assembled, and it needed some warm up time. this morning I calibrated the scanner, and printed something I'd scanned. it was cool...
BUT! I have a problem I need to see if I can work around. it can scan to pdf, which is what I wanted... BUT, using the file explorer on the attached pc... it doesn't see the pdfs... just the tiffs or jpgs...
Do you mean it doesn't recognise pdf file format? Is it just that adobe acrobat reader isn't installed on the PC?

Wanderer
2006-06-19, 04:57 PM
the scanner comes with a little computer attached... and when I scanned as a pdf, then tried to find it on the hard drive, it didn't 'see' it. (it's not a windows interface) anyway, I'll be calling the reseller about a couple of things very soon, and this will be one of them.
Do you mean it doesn't recognise pdf file format? Is it just that adobe acrobat reader isn't installed on the PC?

Wanderer
2006-07-06, 08:16 PM
alright... well... overall, the thing was decently easy to start using. I wish the buttons had words instead of vague pictures (on the attached pc). I scanned, scaled up, and plotted an image in a very short amount of time.

BUT! while this thing *is* talking to the network, so I can retrieve the pdf's from the (30GB... nice) hard drive from my pc, my IT guy tells me that I can't plot directly to the attached plotter because of the built-in pc's interference and that I would have to just move the files I want to plot to that pc from my computer and plot there, or hook up a full-blown pc via USB. BUT of course that little thing isn't a full blown computer, doesn't have autocad, so it won't even see any file type residing on the hard drive if it isn't jpg or tiff... and my office computer isn't even on the same floor, so certainly the USB option is out.

:banghead:
I have a friend with a slightly older model who told me how he'd worked around it, but, says I have to get to the window's interface of the built-in pc, which he did by clicking the exit button... but, that just causes the machine to shut down... did I mention I'm :banghead:

so... yeah... the thing prints and scans beautifully, but, it will be worthless to me if I can't plot to it from my office computer.

i'd be happy to hear anything I could do to get this thing working...

the scanner comes with a little computer attached... and when I scanned as a pdf, then tried to find it on the hard drive, it didn't 'see' it. (it's not a windows interface) anyway, I'll be calling the reseller about a couple of things very soon, and this will be one of them.

jaberwok
2006-07-06, 09:14 PM
Hang on.

Is the "attached plotter" attached to your pc or to the pc attached to the scanner?

Opie
2006-07-06, 09:59 PM
If it's on the network and has an IP address, you should be able to print to it as long as you have the printer drivers for it.

Wanderer
2006-07-07, 04:26 PM
the 'attached plotter' is attached to that little pc which is also attached to the scanner. my computer is only speaking to the pc across the network... evidently not able to speak directly to the scanner nor the plotter...
Hang on.

Is the "attached plotter" attached to your pc or to the pc attached to the scanner?

Wanderer
2006-07-07, 04:27 PM
that's what I assumed as well... but, is this ip addy for *just* the attached pc? or is it for the plotter?

darn do I feel stupid. all of this makes very little sense to me. i'm tempted to go tape some drywall... at least I can see and understand how all of that goes together. :razz:

If it's on the network and has an IP address, you should be able to print to it as long as you have the printer drivers for it.

rkmcswain
2006-07-07, 06:10 PM
i'm tempted to go tape some drywall...

Tape some drywall :?:

Would like to see that... :shock:

Wanderer
2006-07-07, 06:37 PM
:confused: alright... online obstacle here...

is that confusion over the process I'm referring to?
or
being incredulous that I like to do that?

Tape some drywall :?:

Would like to see that... :shock:

rkmcswain
2006-07-07, 06:40 PM
being incredulous that I like to do that?

The latter....

Wanderer
2006-07-07, 06:43 PM
oh, right then. ;) (had to make sure I was using the correct terminology)

while I am happily a desk jockey... I like working with my hands and taping drywall when I did a home renovation was a very satisfying job, and evidently one that some people find difficult. It took a bit of practice to get my passes to come out evenly and figure out how to sand it, but, once I got that down it was all good.

The latter....

rkmcswain
2006-07-07, 06:47 PM
oh, right then. ;) (had to make sure I was using the correct terminology)

while I am happily a desk jockey... I like working with my hands and taping drywall when I did a home renovation was a very satisfying job, and evidently one that some people find difficult. It took a bit of practice to get my passes to come out evenly and figure out how to sand it, but, once I got that down it was all good.

I done my share of it... Never could get it perfect. Looked good until the sun was shining in right down the wall - then you could see all the humps, bumps, waves, etc....

Have you ever done any plaster on lath ? Now that is an art....

Wanderer
2006-07-07, 06:53 PM
nope. ;) tore out all of the plaster and lath and replaced it with framing and drywall. that I would believe. at least with drywall you're starting with a fairly smooth surface.
I done my share of it... Never could get it perfect. Looked good until the sun was shining in right down the wall - then you could see all the humps, bumps, waves, etc....

Have you ever done any plaster on lath ? Now that is an art....

Opie
2006-07-07, 07:22 PM
that's what I assumed as well... but, is this ip addy for *just* the attached pc? or is it for the plotter?

darn do I feel stupid. all of this makes very little sense to me. i'm tempted to go tape some drywall... at least I can see and understand how all of that goes together. :razz:
It may be set to a specified port on the host PC and not a specific IP address. :?

Also, if it is running on Windows, have you tried the Task Manager to get back to Windows?

Wanderer
2006-07-07, 07:43 PM
i don't know if it's running on top of windows, that's what murph said his did. but, there is no taskbar to right-click on to get to it or start menu to find it.
I've got the cd documentation here, so I'm going to try going through it again looking for clues when I have a chance (my IT guy just returned them after a week of reading and said from what he read, it can't be done, but, I just don't want to believe that).
It may be set to a specified port on the host PC and not a specific IP address. :?

Also, if it is running on Windows, have you tried the Task Manager to get back to Windows?

Opie
2006-07-07, 07:47 PM
i don't know if it's running on top of windows, that's what murph said his did. but, there is no taskbar to right-click on to get to it or start menu to find it.
I've got the cd documentation here, so I'm going to try going through it again looking for clues when I have a chance (my IT guy just returned them after a week of reading and said from what he read, it can't be done, but, I just don't want to believe that).
Try CTRL-ALT-DEL. If it is a Windows machine, that should bring up the task manager.

jaberwok
2006-07-07, 07:48 PM
Can you get Windows running on the "attached" pc and (then) can that pc see both the plotter and the scanner?

Wanderer
2006-07-07, 07:48 PM
I'll try that next time I'm down there...
Try CTRL-ALT-DEL. If it is a Windows machine, that should bring up the task manager.

Wanderer
2006-07-07, 07:49 PM
well, I already know that pc can see the scanner and printer, because I've used them... but, even if I was going to muck about with that pc's setup, I'd have to have a windows disk to install on it...
I'm just not sure...
Can you get Windows running on the "attached" pc and (then) can that pc see both the plotter and the scanner?

jaberwok
2006-07-07, 07:53 PM
You did explain to the seller what you wanted to do?

It sounds like an ultimatum is due - "make it do what I want or take it away".

Wanderer
2006-07-07, 07:54 PM
yes, and I believe it can.

yep. I'll tell him to haul it away if the IT guy or I can't get it working how I want it next week.

You did explain to the seller what you wanted to do?

It sounds like an ultimatum is due - "make it do what I want or take it away".

andrewg
2006-07-10, 11:35 AM
Don't know if your setup is similar, but on our Xerox combination scanner/copier/plotter, the scanner portion is attached to a netowrked pc via a scuzzi cable. The unit also has a network card & separate data conn, used for the network printer connections.

Anything scanned has to go through the pc, but printing can go directly to the printer via the network card.

Wanderer
2006-07-10, 02:52 PM
I did that, but, all of the options were greyed out except 'shutdown' :cry:

Wanderer
2006-07-10, 02:53 PM
hmm. I can ask our it guy about the specifics of the setup, I'm not for sure myself, but, I know that there is only one thing plugged into a dataport.
Don't know if your setup is similar, but on our Xerox combination scanner/copier/plotter, the scanner portion is attached to a netowrked pc via a scuzzi cable. The unit also has a network card & separate data conn, used for the network printer connections.

Anything scanned has to go through the pc, but printing can go directly to the printer via the network card.

Wanderer
2006-07-28, 05:52 PM
Alright... UPDATE! sorry i'd forgotten to chime back in.

alright, my boss tells me not to waste too much time over the IT guys' shoulders, it's their job to set this up and they know what they're doing. :roll: uh-huh.

so, the guy says that he's read and read and read and he didn't think it could be done.

:neutral: sooo. I go and finally access the windows interface on the attached computer, and I look... and the printer IS NOT EVEN installed as a shared printer. hello. Also, they'd not opened up a port in the firewall for it.

I don't even understand half of what I just said there /\ but, I figured that out, adjusted those two settings and it's working. :banghead: now. erm... why? exactly was that so hard that they couldn't do it? ~huff~

Thanks to my IT guys for wasting a week of my time. Luckily, I got it fixed before anyone told my boss that the 20k+ toy I'd gotten wouldn't do what I'd said it would.

So, honestly, the spooling or whatever it is doing is reeeeeeeeeally slow. Anyone know how I could tweak it to get faster? And, no, sorry, I know nothing about the network I'm going through. it's not really my bag.

Thanks for everyone reading and chiming in, I appreciate *so* much having a good sounding board for this sort of thing.

hmm. I can ask our it guy about the specifics of the setup, I'm not for sure myself, but, I know that there is only one thing plugged into a dataport.

Opie
2006-07-28, 06:01 PM
How did you get to the Windows Interface? I'm just curious, 'cause I know I won't get a large format scanner/printer anytime soon.

Railrose
2006-07-28, 06:07 PM
Alright... UPDATE! sorry i'd forgotten to chime back in.

alright, my boss tells me not to waste too much time over the IT guys' shoulders, it's their job to set this up and they know what they're doing. :roll: uh-huh.

so, the guy says that he's read and read and read and he didn't think it could be done.

:neutral: sooo. I go and finally access the windows interface on the attached computer, and I look... and the printer IS NOT EVEN installed as a shared printer. hello. Also, they'd not opened up a port in the firewall for it.

I don't even understand half of what I just said there /\ but, I figured that out, adjusted those two settings and it's working. :banghead: now. erm... why? exactly was that so hard that they couldn't do it? ~huff~

Thanks to my IT guys for wasting a week of my time. Luckily, I got it fixed before anyone told my boss that the 20k+ toy I'd gotten wouldn't do what I'd said it would.

So, honestly, the spooling or whatever it is doing is reeeeeeeeeally slow. Anyone know how I could tweak it to get faster? And, no, sorry, I know nothing about the network I'm going through. it's not really my bag.

Thanks for everyone reading and chiming in, I appreciate *so* much having a good sounding board for this sort of thing.
Something that might help... On the printer properties, go to the Advanved tab (that is where to find it on our machine, you may have to look around for it) look for the selections for spooling print documents. Our printer is set for Start printing immediately. Make a note of the current setting for reference, then play with those.

Wanderer
2006-07-28, 06:31 PM
d'oh! sorry, I meant to mention that since it was such a hassle. Well, as murph said, he got to his (an older model) by hitting the little door icon in the scanner interface, but, that just shuts down my pc...

I was actually trying to reinstall the plotter to fiddle with the settings, and I got an error saying the thing couldn't locate the plotter, which gave me a link to a 'help' area, which was in a windows explorer-type interface, and I hit the nav bar to access 'my computer'

it was SUCH a hassle... so, if anyone knows how to do *that* quicker I'd appreciate it. I might call up hpinvent line... but... :evil: not really in a trouble-shooting mood. well... maybe. :lol: but, not in the intended way.

How did you get to the Windows Interface? I'm just curious, 'cause I know I won't get a large format scanner/printer anytime soon.

Wanderer
2006-07-28, 06:32 PM
Something that might help... On the printer properties, go to the Advanved tab (that is where to find it on our machine, you may have to look around for it) look for the selections for spooling print documents. Our printer is set for Start printing immediately. Make a note of the current setting for reference, then play with those.~slapping self~ of course! d'oh... i'll have to drill down in there again ~sigh~ and check the settings and maybe try to change them.
good on ya! ;) see? wise!

Railrose
2006-07-28, 06:38 PM
~slapping self~ of course! d'oh... i'll have to drill down in there again ~sigh~ and check the settings and maybe try to change them.
good on ya! ;) see? wise!
Easiest way to get there is click Start -> Settings -> Printers. When you see that printer on the list, right click on it & go to the options.

Wanderer
2006-07-28, 06:58 PM
d'oh! you know, I didn't even think about accessing it from my pc, we'll see what I can tell from here...

Easiest way to get there is click Start -> Settings -> Printers. When you see that printer on the list, right click on it & go to the options.

jaberwok
2006-07-29, 07:23 AM

Well, good on you for at least figuring out where the problems lay.

:beer:

Wanderer
2006-07-29, 03:46 PM
Well, good on you for at least figuring out where the problems lay.

:beer:I just had to find the time (continous lectures from my boss about letting IT do IT and me do CAD) and do some exploration.

Oh, and Jane! I went ahead and changed the settings from my pc and it worked!

I am getting a problem where i'll have two empty sheets feed out with Timeout errors on them before the real print comes out, so I've still got *some* fiddling to do.

Railrose
2006-07-30, 12:12 AM
I just had to find the time (continous lectures from my boss about letting IT do IT and me do CAD) and do some exploration.

Oh, and Jane! I went ahead and changed the settings from my pc and it worked!

I am getting a problem where i'll have two empty sheets feed out with Timeout errors on them before the real print comes out, so I've still got *some* fiddling to do.
Those errors may be related to the software that is sending the prints, or the drivers. Also make sure you check the internet for latest drivers. Our machine has to use the avoid out of memory setting, which is slower, but is really only needed for E size drawings. As long as you keep up with the settings that work best before changes, have fun playing with them.

Wanderer
2006-07-30, 12:49 AM
Those errors may be related to the software that is sending the prints, or the drivers. Also make sure you check the internet for latest drivers. Our machine has to use the avoid out of memory setting, which is slower, but is really only needed for E size drawings. As long as you keep up with the settings that work best before changes, have fun playing with them.anythoughts on what should be updated where? I installed the driver for the plotter from the cd that came with it, and it was supposed to be a model just out on the market. I've tried reinstalling the driver in the attached pc, but, keep getting these silly errors about not being able to see the plotter :roll: which is absurd because I can print from that pc to that plotter, so I know it knows it's there. meh. I typically enjoy this sort of thing, but, it's really stupid, because there are 4 floors separating me from my printer. If my desktop pc was only like a room away it would be much more fun to fiddle with. ~pouting~ I've asked about having a fireman's pole put into our atrium, but, so far, noone's taken the request seriously. ;)

Railrose
2006-07-30, 10:23 PM
anythoughts on what should be updated where? I installed the driver for the plotter from the cd that came with it, and it was supposed to be a model just out on the market. I've tried reinstalling the driver in the attached pc, but, keep getting these silly errors about not being able to see the plotter :roll: which is absurd because I can print from that pc to that plotter, so I know it knows it's there. meh. I typically enjoy this sort of thing, but, it's really stupid, because there are 4 floors separating me from my printer. If my desktop pc was only like a room away it would be much more fun to fiddle with. ~pouting~ I've asked about having a fireman's pole put into our atrium, but, so far, noone's taken the request seriously. ;)
There may be updates on the internet from HP. One snag we hit on our HP 5000, is it becomes invisible to the PC,s if it is listed as shared, even though it goes through the servers & stuff. We have to go the the printer properties & tell it to treat it as a non-shared printer. I don't know the reasoning behind it, & seems a little crazy to me, but try explaining that to a PC.

Wanderer
2006-07-30, 10:35 PM
There may be updates on the internet from HP. One snag we hit on our HP 5000, is it becomes invisible to the PC,s if it is listed as shared, even though it goes through the servers & stuff. We have to go the the printer properties & tell it to treat it as a non-shared printer. I don't know the reasoning behind it, & seems a little crazy to me, but try explaining that to a PC.sooo, but, if it isn't shared, won't it not be visible to the rest of the pc's? (i'm sorry, I'm slow)

Railrose
2006-07-31, 02:04 PM
sooo, but, if it isn't shared, won't it not be visible to the rest of the pc's? (i'm sorry, I'm slow)
I don't know the why's & such, but we had to have ours showing as local, but everyone here prints to it. :screwy:

rkmcswain
2006-10-07, 01:03 PM
alright... seems the 815 isn't made any longer, and we'll be getting the 820 instead...

So how is that 820 working out for you?

We just had a 4500 delivered and installed yesterday.

Wanderer
2006-10-08, 08:29 PM
So how is that 820 working out for you?

We just had a 4500 delivered and installed yesterday.sloooooowly... :lol:

Not that it is plotting slowly but that's it just this past week been brought up to speed.
That's more because of the sheer number of departments involved in my company.

I had it assembled, and called IT over to set it up on the network.

They installed a line to the plotter from the print server...

erm, ok, that's great, but, they'd bypassed the panel, so I couldn't access the files I'd scanned from my pc in another office.

So, they assigned an IP to the panel.

I was under the impression from what I'd read, that I could send a plot through the panel to the plotter. Which, after I somehow found a way into the stripped down winxp interface on the panel and opened a port in the built-in firewall, I *could* do. But! They wouldn't plot out any larger than a letter-sized sheet.

IT says, well, just use your pc to move the files to the panel, and plot them from there... erm, which would only work if I turned everything into something the panel could read, ie NOT dwgs.

So, I say forget the IT guys and call HP. They said I shouldn't even have been able to plot to it at all that way and gave me props for figuring out a way to make it work. lol.
They said I just needed a separate line to run directly to the plotter (of course, the plotter is connected to the panel already, as that's how it is used as a copier in conjunction with the scanner).

So, I had to call up telecommunications and have them drop a second line in the plotter room ~sigh~ I'm sad though, I'd padded the budget on this and would have had enough left for a ram / video card upgrade for my pc, but, alas, it was not to be, but, at least I didn't have to go back to my boss and finance to ask for a few hundred more bucks to do it.
Anyway, I swear the telecomm guy was hiding from me. Kept leaving messages 4 hours after I'd left work, even though I'd left messages telling him my hours, whatever, finally got the 2nd line dropped...

Call IT back over, of course the tech who'd worked with me originally was no longer there (IT has SUCH high turnover, it's unreal). I said, bring a cable, because I don't have one. What kind? I have no idea, you're the IT guy, you figure it out.

He told me it would need a network card, I told *him* it came with one.
He says 'where?' I say, I don't know, you're the IT guy, you figure it out. ;)
So, he finally found the hole, just needed a regular whatever looks like a phone cord.
They did do a good job of hiding it, there was a panel over it, and with the scanner on top you couldn't even see the panel.

So, he got the line, secured an IP addy from... whoever handles that for us... goes to program the addy into the card... but, for some reason couldn't do it from the plotter's built-in menu. We could drill down in the I/O settings but he couldn't find where to change it. So... he took the network card out, and went to the receptionist's desktop hp printer and slid the card in there, made the change, put it back into mine... and it worked.

I sent a few plots no problem. It seemed to print the pdf's way faster than my 750, but, dwgs seemed to take about the same amount of time. I'm happy with that.

One thing I am frustrated with is that I can't seem to map a drive on the panel to save scans directly to the server. It sort of acts like it will let me, but, no luck so far, it sort of hangs. So, I scan to the panel and just retrieve from my pc (via 'my network places' where I've made a shortcut to the panel's IP).

Oh, and as for moving files to the panel to have them printed, it later occurred to me to use plt's, which should have worked, I guess.

rkmcswain
2006-10-08, 08:41 PM
sloooooowly... :lol:

Wow.

The HP guys came out and took our DJ4500 from inside the cardboard box to an operational plotter in about 2 hours.

Wanderer
2006-10-08, 09:12 PM
Wow.

The HP guys came out and took our DJ4500 from inside the cardboard box to an operational plotter in about 2 hours.Yes, well, it depends on your idea of operational.

Was yours a replacement for an existing plotter? Did you have the lines / IP addresses / drivers, etc already there and in-hand? How many departments are involved? IE, who owns the network drop? who allows access to the plot server?

~shrug~ Mine was put together and "operational" as a freestanding unit, able to scan and copy within the same amount of time, it's when you step outside of my little world and put a toe into someone else's little kingdom that the roadblocks show up to slow you down.

rkmcswain
2006-10-09, 12:46 AM
Was yours a replacement for an existing plotter? Did you have the lines / IP addresses / drivers, etc already there and in-hand? How many departments are involved? IE, who owns the network drop? who allows access to the plot server?

1. Sort of. We moved a 1050CP to another floor about 9 months ago.
2. Drivers were delivered on CD with the plotters. IP Address was configured through the internal web server in the 4500 (in other words, it picks up an IP through DHCP when you plug it into the network - then you navigate to that IP in your browser and set the static IP)
3. Not sure what you mean by "how many departments". The network port was chosen because it was nearest to the plotter location.
4. I do :-)