PDA

View Full Version : SaaS vs Hosted solutions

IrfanG
2016-03-18, 09:54 PM
Downside to being in a large facility? IT restrictions. I've been waiting for a month tomorrow to have the SmartClient installed. I've got a new building I kinda need to polyline. :D

Haha, I hear that!

What sort of deployment model is your Archibus set up with? I'm working with a SaaS model, and was curious what the benefits/capabilities in terms of customization the other models provide.

Wanderer
2016-03-21, 04:01 PM
Haha, I hear that!

What sort of deployment model is your Archibus set up with? I'm working with a SaaS model, and was curious what the benefits/capabilities in terms of customization the other models provide.

Finally approved for installation last week.
... just in time for me to leave my job. Whoops. :lol:

Well, I've never used the SaaS model, but, having access to the application means I don't have to ask our business partner to make (unbudgeted) changes for us. We also have custom built some tables and their associated WebCentral views, because we're too cheap to purchase the Project Management module.

Most of the customizations I've made while here have been hiding unused fields from the views or adding/making visible other fields we want to start using.

I also tend to get data to report on from the application itself, as I find that faster and more logical than using WebCentral to grab data on the fly (which is probably due to my lack of knowledge, not knocking the interface).
I have saved a few data views for the application, so I can quickly audit our most-used tables, seeing only the problem fields.

IrfanG
2016-03-21, 04:13 PM
Finally approved for installation last week.
... just in time for me to leave my job. Whoops. :lol:

Well, I've never used the SaaS model, but, having access to the application means I don't have to ask our business partner to make (unbudgeted) changes for us. We also have custom built some tables and their associated WebCentral views, because we're too cheap to purchase the Project Management module.

Most of the customizations I've made while here have been hiding unused fields from the views or adding/making visible other fields we want to start using.

I also tend to get data to report on from the application itself, as I find that faster and more logical than using WebCentral to grab data on the fly (which is probably due to my lack of knowledge, not knocking the interface).
I have saved a few data views for the application, so I can quickly audit our most-used tables, seeing only the problem fields.

I envy your access to the application :(

I'm struggling right now to figure out the best middle ground that allows me direct access to the view files so as to be able to create custom reports without having to use the limited "view definition wizard." Unfortunately it seems that the SaaS model does not allow that, I was curious to find out if there are any deployment models that do allow access to the application directory.

Wanderer
2016-03-21, 04:44 PM
I envy your access to the application :(

I'm struggling right now to figure out the best middle ground that allows me direct access to the view files so as to be able to create custom reports without having to use the limited "view definition wizard." Unfortunately it seems that the SaaS model does not allow that, I was curious to find out if there are any deployment models that do allow access to the application directory.

I'm afraid I'm not aware of any. Maybe another Archibus person will come along with some more insight, but, that's likely a pretty firm line, customers being on one side or the other.