PDA

View Full Version : Running a virtual PC on a Mac for AutoCAD use

raggedyandy3478
2005-03-29, 12:21 AM
I am fixing to buy a computer, preferably a MacIntosh, and AutoCAD and possibly Autodesk are necessities. I want to know how good/bad Virtual PC's are with supporting any version of AutoCAD or any other Autodesk program. I would appreciate hearing back from anyone and everyone that has had experience with this matter at hand.

rtorres
2005-03-29, 03:53 AM
I'm not a big fan of MACs :-x

And I'm sure this can be it's own thread and a monster discusion would soon follow but anyway ....

I know someone here who loves MACs and owns like 3 of them. He put that "Virtual PC" on his machine to run AutoCAD and he said it runs fine. UNTIL he had to work in it .... :roll: .... then the MAC had an attack. Heart attack that is ... it started to choke. He says the MAC ran at "HALF" speed.

He, inturn, installed a bunch of patches to his machine to increase speed. But in the end nothing worked. His MAC ran at half its speed once the file began to grow in size which was minimal.
:shock:

HTH

jaberwok
2005-03-29, 11:06 AM
This illustrates why you need to pick your software first and your hardware last (and OS in between). I've seen lots of people pick the hardware first, then wonder what software will run on it.

rgcnykolaishen
2005-03-29, 08:37 PM
You let your hatred for mac's stop you from answering the question fully. What version of Virtual PC did your friend use, and what kind of mac did he put it on? Did he use Virtual PC 7 or a previous version? If he ran too high a version like 2005 on an older machine, well ya it would slow down. Like running 2005 on a P3 533! I would like to run AutoCAD on a more stable platform like a mac. I have both PC and mac and would rather run it on the better hardware (mac)

Robert.Hall
2005-03-29, 09:58 PM
This illustrates why you need to pick your software first and your hardware last (and OS in between). I've seen lots of people pick the hardware first, then wonder what software will run on it.

I completely agree, especially when purchasing a PDA.........now why is it that my PDA does not have very many software applications? Hmmmm.

raggedyandy3478
2005-03-30, 04:23 AM
This is the original poster of this thread again. I have yet to buy a single thing, I am doing my research ahead of time. It seems that many people are biased against macs. I was hoping to get the Virtual PC 7 and probably run it with AutoCAD 2004, only because that is what GaTech is using with their college of architecture/engineering, and that is where I will be attending school. I am wondering if you, the people that already use AutoCAD think that it is a good idea to do such.

jaberwok
2005-03-30, 09:01 AM
I have no hatred of MACs.

Running any emulator on any computer introduces an extra layer of processing.
Extra processing will slow operation.
AutoCAD is a demanding application for any computer - very processor-intensive.
Combining the two will give slow operation.

My tuppence worth. :-)

rtorres
2005-03-30, 10:07 AM
Not to be picky here .... but I didn't say "hate" ... read my post ... it says "Not a big fan" ...
Anyway ...
He bought a MAC in 2004 sometime in MAY so whatever "NEW thing" the market had at that time ... is what he bought ... both MAC machine and Virtual PC .... and he installed AutoCAD 2002.

Hope that helps.
Good luck with your efforts.

Glenn Pope
2005-03-30, 03:58 PM
Mac hardware really isn't any better then PC hardware. They are pretty much the same. The difference is the OS. The MAC OS is, in many ways, better then Windows. The problem here is when you run an emulator, you are still running Windows. So your not going to get a more stable system then just running a PC. If anything it will be less stable. You are running a program that has to translate everything Windows does. One little hiccup and thats it. The whole system crashes. I wouldn't recommend going this route. If you need to use AutoCAD, you need a PC.

scwegner
2005-03-30, 04:13 PM
Mac hardware really isn't any better then PC hardware. They are pretty much the same. The difference is the OS. The MAC OS is, in many ways, better then Windows. The problem here is when you run an emulator, you are still running Windows. So your not going to get a more stable system then just running a PC. If anything it will be less stable. You are running a program that has to translate everything Windows does. One little hiccup and thats it. The whole system crashes. I wouldn't recommend going this route. If you need to use AutoCAD, you need a PC.
I'll second that. No matter how much better Macs may be (I've been struggling with the same decision), AutoCAD is a Windows program and it will act like one.
Basically, you've got three choices:
1. Suck it up and buy a Windows PC
2. Suck it up and buy a Windows PC but use Linux for everything else
3. (At the risk of blasphemy) Buy a wicked G5 with that even more wicked new Tiger OS and don't buy AutoCAD

rgcnykolaishen
2005-03-30, 05:30 PM
there is a rumor floating around that apple in their new release of Tiger OS X will have software developed by transitive (www.transitive.com) that will allow windows apps to run on OS X without windows. and vice versa. They say (still a rumor) that there will be no processor lag. The computer and program would theoretically run at full steam as if it was in its native environment. It will be interesting to see if this really happens.

scwegner
2005-03-30, 05:44 PM
there is a rumor floating around that apple in their new release of Tiger OS X will have software developed by transitive (www.transitive.com (http://www.transitive.com)) that will allow windows apps to run on OS X without windows. and vice versa. They say (still a rumor) that there will be no processor lag. The computer and program would theoretically run at full steam as if it was in its native environment. It will be interesting to see if this really happens. I think that rumor is a bit out of date. They've already had their initial showing of Tiger at the annual convention and made no mention of it. You'd think something like that would come out then.
I wouldn't be surprised though if it were something that happened in the next release.

raggedyandy3478
2005-03-31, 03:44 AM
To scwegner, the G5 and the Tiger OS is the exact reason I want a mac, but no matter what I HAVE TO get AutoCAD, because my professors will make me have it. It is also my understand that Linux is for computer programmers, primarily, and that is the farthest thing from me. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

david.rees
2005-03-31, 08:17 AM
macs architecture is far better than any PC and even with an emulator should run quicker than a Pentium based machine. only one real draw back ONE BUTTON MOUSE how annoying. i have a g4 laptop running AutoCAD under emulator and its great. i also have a desktop PC (amd athlon) which is a pain as it runs Microsoft virus and is slow.

raggedyandy3478
2005-04-01, 05:03 AM
David, when running an emulator can you not just simply use a mouse for windows? I am asking out of complete ignorance, because I do not know much about this subject matter. And you are saying that a VPC 7 can handle and run AutoCAD just as well as normal windows can, despite VPC only being able to handle 512 MB of RAM, and that being the exact amount needed by AutoCAD in and of itself?

david.rees
2005-04-05, 08:05 AM
mmm interesting did'nt relise that it could only handle 512 mb but as your only emulating for running acad i can't see the problem and the 512mb is only ever reached if your really pushing it. i dont know about the windows mouse but i dont think you can but mac's are only shipped with a single button mouse a multi button mouse (yes that means roller wheel) can be run on mac os even without the emulator. but hay i would'nt have anything to moan about if i did that.

TheArtDept
2005-05-19, 12:30 AM
Okay,
I've read all these responses to the Virtual PC question and no one has any hard data? Is it true that the VPC only allows 512 Ram? If the G5 is now running 64 bit dual processors would it not be as good as or better than a PC running one? The closest comparable PC is the HP xw9300 workstation which sounds like a monster machine but is around 3K more expensive than the G5 and has a slower processor speed with the AMD dual core which is 2.6 at its' fastest compared to the G5 2.73. I want the Mac because I want to render my ADT drawings in 3ds Studio Max. I am a Set Designer for film and TV and I want to be able to draw and post to the web 3d photo realistic renderings. The Mac has always had a more stable and athletic OS and the Tiger sounds even more of that more. I don't know what to do. I want the Mac but I don't want to spend 7500 shimoles for a machine that doesn't perform well with the software of choice ADT.

Whoever quoted DDE has my thanks. RL