PDA

View Full Version : 2018 surface profile from xrefed TIN surface

Maverick91
2017-05-10, 09:47 PM
It's been a while since I've done a surface, let alone a profile from a surface. Bear with me.

Our client sent us a plan drawing file and a separate drawing file with a surface TIN. When I xref the TIN file into the plan drawing, I don't see the surface; it's not available for creating a surface profile. I had to insert the TIN as a block and then explode that block.

What am I missing? Can I create a surface profile in an existing profile view from an xref'ed TIN?

ccowgill
2017-05-10, 10:24 PM
nope. to create a surface profile, the surface needs to actually exist within your drawing. you can do it from a data referenced surface, but not an xref surface. You can only annotate xref'd c3d objects. I know, doesnt make much sense, but that is how it is.

Maverick91
2017-05-10, 11:54 PM
So I WAS doing it right.

Yes, it sucks that I cannot create a surface profile from an xreffed surface. Guess what's going on the next wish list!

ccowgill
2017-05-11, 12:03 AM
Also check the ideas forum and see of it is there to vote it up or add it yourself
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-ideas/idb-p/31/tab/most-recent

cadtag
2017-05-12, 11:45 AM
No - just DREF the surface. XREF give you very little control for how to display the surface

MMccall
2017-05-12, 02:01 PM
If it were me, I'd open the Tin file, make a surface from that info, export that surface, exit the file, open the design file, import that surface, set it to a surface style with no display and lock it.

Simple, local, done.