PDA

View Full Version : Ridge Cap - Quick and Easy.

beegee
2003-12-08, 06:38 AM
1. Make the hipped roof.
2. Copy that roof and raise it about 25 mm (1") or 50 mm (2") above the real roof. (cap height )
3. Edit the copied roof,using the Opening Tool, cutting its profile back to a hipped ridge cap outline.
4. Duplicate the original roof family, rename it "hip cap roof " or sim. and revise it to just have the capping material at the correct thickness.
5. Swap the copied roof, ( now modified to a hip cap outline), to the new hip cap roof family.

It may be easier to swap the roof material at item 3, so that you can clearly see which one you're working on.

fernando
2003-12-08, 03:56 PM
here are my experience in that matter
we at portugal had the so called "portuguese roof"
with the ridge made of 200mm tiles, the roof fascia made of tiles paralell to the floor
i attach 2 examples

sbrown
2003-12-08, 10:52 PM
Nice tip Beegee.

clay_hickling
2005-01-10, 03:03 AM
Once you do this you end up with the second roof (ridge capping) showing up in the floor plan. We show the roofline over in our floor plan via the underlay method. The problem is we now see the lines representing the ridge capping in our floor plan view. We just want the ridge itself.

Any thoughts?

beegee
2005-01-10, 03:19 AM
Clay,

Check that the view containing the underlay is set to Hidden Line not Wireframe.

The underlay should only show the main roof - see attached graphic.

chad_middlemis
2005-01-10, 03:34 AM
I have been following this discussion with the same ridge capping problem. When I use a fascia profile it is difficult to control the mitres, and I had the same problem of seeing the second unwanted roof (ridge capping) in floor plan. It might be just a quick fix, but I put the ridge capping onto the existing construction phase and used the filter to turn it off in certain views. Hope this may help.
By the way, I had the underlay on hidden line as suggested and that didn't seem to work.