PDA

View Full Version : Workset Best Practice ?

daniel.hurtubise70031
2005-04-02, 02:27 AM
Anybody got a good document on workset with the ups and downs, best practice etc ....

Steve_Stafford
2005-04-02, 04:06 AM
Interesting but I just did a search and found lots of info on worksets but no definitive list. This THREAD (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=1334)has some insight. If you search for Worksets, you'll get a lot to read through. There is always the help and tutorials.

[mod note: Move thread to worksets with redirect]

daniel.hurtubise70031
2005-04-02, 02:27 PM
Why dont start one then. Lets have everybody post they're best practices and compile them at the end
Ill start with one thing

Always close worksets that are not needed

papurajx
2005-04-04, 04:42 AM
# 2 - Remember to check the active workset before adding or copying any model elements.

JamesVan
2005-04-05, 03:47 PM
A long time ago a Revit wise man stated that an efficient number of worksets should be about 3x the team size. In other words, team of 3 should have no less than 9 worksets.

This rule may become obsolete as worksets and project sharing are further fine-tuned and become more transparent.

janunson
2005-04-05, 05:15 PM
Here's one - Include worksets in your template to avoid having to add them after a project is started (and having to try to move things to different worksets)

Another one - Use the same name to check out worksets when you work at home that you do in the office.. that way if you have local file failure in either location (either due to crash or HW issues or whatever) you easily recover permissions on the worksets at the other location, and you can transfer your local file back and forth w/out a lot of fuss.

We're currently working on defining a default list of worksets in my office... of course they'll get modified as projects develop, but as a starting point:

1. Exterior shell and roof
2. Interior Partitions
3. Interior buildout
4. F, F & E
5. Casework
6. Printing, Sheets, Shedules
7. Casework
8. Details/Callouts
10. Structure.

aaronrumple
2005-04-05, 05:33 PM
Here you go...

Steve_Stafford
2005-04-05, 06:57 PM
Here's one - Include worksets in your template to avoid having to add them after a project is started (and having to try to move things to different worksets)
Have you actually done this? You can't activate worksets from within a project template file.

To create a template with worksets you'd need to do an end run: Start a new project and enable worksets and finally change the filename extension to RTE after you close the project and delete the backup folder. When a user tries to start a project with this template they'll get an error message telling them they need to create a new central file in order to continue using it as a central file, otherwise it will be treated as a local copy, edited at risk. Not the most user friendly way for your users to get started off?

Also, fwiw, Revit workset documentation specifically cautions against creating worksets for projects too soon. Naturally it's up to us to decide when...they just encourage us to avoid introducing complexity too early. Something to keep in mind.

janunson
2005-05-12, 08:00 PM
Yes we have. we have a regular revit file we use as a template, works pretty much like you describe. It works ok... but does give the error. the reason we did is because it's a pain in the arse to move things into worksets later when you have to filter down to like objects before you can. I think i have a wish in the wishlist about that...if not i will soon..