PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP 64 bit, are you ready?

Ron Oldenbeuving
2005-04-05, 10:15 AM
Heard it from a friend who heard it from a little bird on the grapevine........

.......64 bit compatibility in the next full release of Autodesk products.;)

We can only live and hope.

Lets see if my face turns blue or not.

Mike.Perry
2005-04-05, 10:19 AM
Hi

Take a look at the latest customer survey from Autodesk -

Hardware Profile Survey (http://myfeedback.autodesk.com/ADSKSurvey/TakeSurvey.asp?SurveyID=34L9p4K1m76MG)

Have a good one, Mike

RobertAitken
2005-04-05, 10:58 AM
Heard it from a friend who heard it from a little bird on the grapevine........

.......64 bit compatibility in the next full release of Autodesk products.;)

We can only live and hope.

Lets see if my face turns blue or not.
It'll have to wait until M$ get the 64bit version of XP out the door. You can download a trial version. I found this (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=64bit+windows+XP) on Google.

Robert

RobertAitken
2005-04-05, 11:02 AM
Hi

Take a look at the latest customer survey from Autodesk -

Hardware Profile Survey (http://myfeedback.autodesk.com/ADSKSurvey/TakeSurvey.asp?SurveyID=34L9p4K1m76MG)

Have a good one, Mike
Surveys a bit misleading. It gives the impression that you can get XP64 now.

Robert

slayer913
2005-04-05, 08:32 PM
Found that M$ has released the 64 bit XP version to manufacturing, so it's coming!

Release to resellers and OEM's due by end of April 2005. Not soon enough.... I'm trying to find some download links for the RC2 beta, but it looks like they're all shut down pending retail release.

Maybe this "Longhorn" deal will support 64 bit out of the gate as well.

Albert

hand471037
2005-04-05, 08:57 PM
Maybe this "Longhorn" deal will support 64 bit out of the gate as well.
Albert

From what limited stuff I've seen and rumors I've heard, it sounds like Longhorn might come in both a 32 and a 64 bit version. But Longhorn is still a loooong ways away.

And, also from reading some stuff over on Tom's Hardware and Slashdot and such, it sounds like the new XP64 gains some good stuff from going 64 bit, but that it breaks a great deal of stuff too, and that currently you'll need new drivers for *everything* so I'd upgrade carefully, for even if you've got a 64-bit system (like an AMD) there is nothing stating that it's gonna run this without issues...

Not to mention that it will be a while before the Developers catch up and start making their programs 64-bit aware.

Sorry to be so cynical, but we're, in my guess, still six months to a year away from 64-bit Windows really being fully available... as opposed to everyone else *cough*Apple*cough*Linux*cough*Sun*Cough* that's been 64-bit for a while now...

slayer913
2005-04-05, 09:20 PM
True there - Good thing I run Linux in the background:Puffy:

Hmm, that reminds me. Does CAD run on FreeBSD?

I ran a simulator benchmark on my 64 bit AMD system a few months back to test its performance with applications in a 64 bit Windows environment, and taking the results as accurate, I'm seriously checking daily for new 64bit OS release news!

Checking with some local beta testers, looks like you have the option to run in a hybrid 32/64 bit mode selectively, so that might make driver/device integration much more managable.

Albert