PDA

View Full Version : General Drawing Notes

WolffG
2005-04-06, 02:05 AM
I need to pick brains.
I do a lot of simple production house plan sets for local builders. just the basics, no detailing, no specs.

Over the years, I have developed a general notes block that I typically include in all sets. The problem is that the set is a bit too generic for my tastes. (For example, I cover both engineered lumber as well as dimension lumber; CMU foundations as well as concrete foundations.

I'd like to have a set of notes which only covers the assemblies and materials used in a particular project.

My question: what's the best way of doing this?

I see several options:
1. Develop a note block for each combination of assemblies (relatively simple to do, but an invitation for trouble).
2. Use key notes
3. Paste different note blocks into one sheet as needed (pain in the ...)
4. Keep doing what I've been doing.
5. Do something I haven't even thought about.

All help will be appreciated.

SkiSouth
2005-04-06, 12:15 PM
I see several options:
1. Develop a note block for each combination of assemblies (relatively simple to do, but an invitation for trouble).
2. Use key notes

All help will be appreciated.

How about combining one and two? At first I thought of one note, with visibility controls, then you'd wind up with spaces and numbering problems. So if you did make your note block as a key note for each assembly, you could generate a schedule (project wide or sheet specific) that would update with notes added or removed. - The numeric (note 1, Note 2) might still be an issue though... Just a quick comment, not thought all the way through. Keep us posted on your solution.

janunson
2005-04-06, 02:50 PM
sounds almost like ConDoc - someone just posted a tutorial on doing this in Revit: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=14321

WolffG
2005-04-06, 05:38 PM
A combination of key note and generic notes is exactly the way to go, methinks.
Generic notes for the general CYA stuff, and key notes with spec descriptions for the technical stuff.