PDA

View Full Version : tool palette tabs - shared and read only

jkipfer
2005-04-06, 08:26 PM
I have set up our company tool palettes so that I have full access to modify the tools via permissions set on our server. I have set myself with all permissions and the other user's group name to limited permissions. What I would like to do is have one of the tabs on our palette available for all user's to add blocks etc. to. I figured this could easeily be accomplished by setting the permissions on the tab's .atc file to allow this. However, I am not having any luck.

Is it possible to do what I am trying?

Thanks,

Jason

Mike.Perry
2005-04-06, 10:28 PM
Hi Jason

Please note I've *moved* this thread from the CAD Mgmt. General (http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay.php?f=119) Forum to this one as I feel this particular Forum is a more appropriate place for such a topic.

Thanks, Mike

Forum Moderator

RobertB
2005-04-06, 10:42 PM
I don't think so.

Mikka
2005-04-07, 03:41 PM
Yes... sort of,

Our CAD mgr. just instituted this from something we learned at CAD Camp... It was "The Productivity Power of Palettes REVEALED!" by Matt Murphy. So all the credit goes to him and CAD Camp.

You must be running Acad `05 or later or `04 with pallet extensions.

The short and sweet of it is to create two pallets (or more) one that you have locked for users to share out on your network, and one that is located in a personal directory for the user (network or local) that the user can edit.

We then created a toolbar button for each of the palettes with the macros below:

^C^C*_TOOLPALETTEPATH "J:/Share/Tool Palettes/Alkar";tp; (our shared network palette)

^C^C*_TOOLPALETTEPATH "C:/My Menu/Tool Palettes";tp; (the users personal palette)

Now the users can flip back and forth between their personal palette and the Locked-Shared network one easily.

Next using the newer features of the palettes, right click 'customize' each of the palettes dragging the toolbar button onto the pallet to link it to one of the other palettes. Then close the customize window. Now the users can 'flip' between palettes right from the button on the palette.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense I'll try to explain it better If I was not clear, Just let me know.

I just wanted to let you know that there was a way to accomplish what you were asking.

Mikka

jkipfer
2005-04-08, 11:48 AM
Thanks for your response. I think I'm after something different. I have in place something similar to what you describe which I did by having two paths in the tool palette locations in the options dialog box (one to the server, the other to the local drive). I have shared toolpalettes on the server, and if users want to add their own, they can and they will be saved to their hard drives.

What I am after is to is have one of our 17 shared palettes available for users to write/delete to, while the other 16 are protected from user's writing/deleting to.

The problem I have found is that the root folder (on the server) that holds the palette library needs to be shared with all users in order for the lock to not appear. I have tried setting the individual palette.atc files to allow users write/delete permissions, but unless the folder that contains them also has these permissions, the lock appears. In other words, it's all or nothing.

But if anyone has other ideas, I'd really like to be able to do this.

Thanks,

Jason

jpduhon
2006-10-12, 04:30 PM
Now the users can flip back and forth between their personal palette and the Locked-Shared network one easily.
Mikka,

I am implementing this exact thing in my office, also thanks to Matt Murphy and AUGI CAD Camp.

I do have a question though, your personal palette path is on the C: drive and not related to a user’s roaming profile. I know it’s been a while since the last post but does anyone know how to direct the path to a folder within the user’s roaming profile? Would I need to use lisp with something like this:

(strcat (getvar "ROAMABLEROOTPREFIX"))

Thanks,

Mike.Perry
2006-10-13, 05:24 AM
<SNIP>

I do have a question though, your personal palette path is on the C: drive and not related to a user’s roaming profile. I know it’s been a while since the last post but does anyone know how to direct the path to a folder within the user’s roaming profile? Would I need to use lisp with something like this:

(strcat (getvar "ROAMABLEROOTPREFIX"))Hi

Do you mean something like...

^C^C*_ToolPalettePath;(getvar "RoamableRootPrefix");Have a good one, Mike

jpduhon
2006-10-15, 02:56 PM
Do you mean something like...
that dog'll hunt.

thanks, mike.

you know, one of these days this will all just click for me... i hope.

jkipfer
2007-05-21, 09:51 PM
Using the following code provided by Mike, ^C^C*_ToolPalettePath;(getvar "RoamableRootPrefix");
for me returns the following path:
C:\Documents and Settings\jason\Application Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2007\R17.0\enu
But the entire path to the toolpalette is: C:\Documents and Settings\jason\Application Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2007\R17.0\enu\Support\ToolPalette

So how did you get the \Support\ToolPalette appended? Did you write a lisp to string concatinate the two or is there an easier way?

Thanks,

Jason

Mike.Perry
2007-05-22, 08:52 AM
Using the following code provided by Mike, ^C^C*_ToolPalettePath;(getvar "RoamableRootPrefix");
for me returns the following path:
C:\Documents and Settings\jason\Application Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2007\R17.0\enu
But the entire path to the toolpalette is: C:\Documents and Settings\jason\Application Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2007\R17.0\enu\Support\ToolPalette

So how did you get the \Support\ToolPalette appended? Did you write a lisp to string concatinate the two or is there an easier way?Hi

You could use the AutoLISP strcat function eg

^C^C*_ToolPalettePath;(strcat (getvar "RoamableRootPrefix") "Support\\ToolPalette");Have a good one, Mike

jkipfer
2007-05-22, 11:50 AM
Thanks Mike. It's been a long time since I've looked at any LISP syntax so that helped.
In order to get my toobar macro to work for me, I had to type it like this:
^C^C*_ToolPalettePath;(strcat (getvar "RoamableRootPrefix") "/Support/ToolPalette/Palettes");
I thought that the \\ as you typed it, was the same as this / in LISP
but I couldn't get it to work using \\
Thanks again,

Jason