PDA

View Full Version : Stretching Dimensions

BrenBren
2005-04-14, 06:09 PM
In 2005, I could grab a group of dimensions and stretch them and their origin would stay intact. Now, when I do this, it acts more like the move command, and pulls the whole dimension away from the part, as opposed to making the extension lines longer.

Anybody know how to fix this?

BrenBren
2005-04-19, 12:43 PM
Is anyone else having this problem. If I have a rectangle and I want to make it longer, I select, using a crossing window, the right edge of the rectangle, the stretch command selects the whole rectangle and actually moves it, doesn't stretch it. Same thing with dimensions. It is really starting to annoy me.

The help file states that Individually selected objects and objects that are completely enclosed by the crossing selection are moved rather than stretched. But this is not the case. I am not individually selecting nor completely enclosing my selection, I am simply using a crossing window to select on side of the object.

I am not sure if this is a setting I dont' have set right or a bug. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!

bbapties
2005-04-19, 01:03 PM
just to make sure its not something little.....your not accidentally trying to stretch a block, xref, or anything like that are you?....maybe post an example dwg...

BrenBren
2005-04-19, 01:18 PM
Nope, it is happening on all drawings. It has to be a setting somewhere. It is happening when using Mechanical, but not when using vanilla.

Rats - I hate trying to find errant variables :)

jaberwok
2005-04-19, 03:56 PM
It's working as always for me in 2006.
Must be a Mechanical thing.

:confused:

BrenBren
2005-04-19, 03:58 PM
It's working as always for me in 2006.
Must be a Mechanical thing.

:confused:
Yea, I think it is a mechanical thing, in fact, I am working with Autodesk on the problem. grrrr...it is quite aggravating

sued73153
2005-04-26, 06:24 PM
Brenda,

If you ever get it resolved I sure hope you'll post the solution. I am having the very same problem and it is extremely annoying! I have been browsing the web trying to find a solution but nothing so far.

Thanks,

Sue DuPuis

BrenBren
2005-04-26, 06:32 PM
Brenda,

If you ever get it resolved I sure hope you'll post the solution. I am having the very same problem and it is extremely annoying! I have been browsing the web trying to find a solution but nothing so far.

Thanks,

Sue DuPuis
I sure will. I am sure it will come in the form of a service pack. Here (http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?messageID=4815541)is the confirmation of a problem, and that Autodesk is working on it - not that that helps much :(

BrenBren
2005-05-02, 12:29 PM
Brenda,

Thanks,

Sue DuPuis
Hi Sue,

You didn't mention if your problem was with dims or rectangles, but I solved the rectangle problem by ~shudder~ reinstalling AutoCAD. When the autodesk tech guy couldn't reproduce the problem, we decided the next step should be a reinstall, and now the stretch command works for rectangles. The dimensions are still acting weird.

BrenBren
2005-05-02, 12:36 PM
Hi Sue,

You didn't mention if your problem was with dims or rectangles, but I solved the rectangle problem by ~shudder~ reinstalling AutoCAD. When the autodesk tech guy couldn't reproduce the problem, we decided the next step should be a reinstall, and now the stretch command works for rectangles. The dimensions are still acting weird.
Another update on the rectangle thing. When I reloaded my old profile, the one I had been using with 2005, the problem showed up again. I have updated Autodesk with this information, and will let you know if I find anything new

rmoore
2005-07-01, 07:17 PM
I just installed AutoCAD Mechanical yesterday and have encountered the move issue when stretching dimensions. Does any one know if they have figured out the problem since the last post?

BrenBren
2005-07-02, 06:36 PM
Not yet :(

tltreat
2005-07-02, 08:09 PM
I`m 49 yrs old an a C-10 Ca Electrical Contractor, Estimator, Certified I.C.B.O. Inspector. But I`m new to AutoCAD 2005-2006 Is there anyone out there, that can point me, in the right direction? Please Sincerely Terry

BrenBren
2005-07-05, 03:35 PM
I`m 49 yrs old an a C-10 Ca Electrical Contractor, Estimator, Certified I.C.B.O. Inspector. But I`m new to AutoCAD 2005-2006 Is there anyone out there, that can point me, in the right direction? Please Sincerely Terry
In the right direction for what, may I ask?

Warren.Parrington
2005-07-06, 08:10 AM
This stretch problem is a nightmare!

BrenBren
2005-07-06, 10:54 AM
I hope that everyone who is having this problem is reporting it to Autodesk...if you are on subscription, make sure you create a support request...they need to know how serious it is, and while I am sure they do, the more people that complain/comment about it, the sooner we get a solution - I hope!!

jshipley
2005-07-08, 06:15 PM
It seems to only happen when the dimensions are not associated with geometry. If you create a rectangle and then dimension it (with DIMASSOC = 2) it works ok, but on older drawings there is a problem

Jim

rmoore
2005-07-08, 06:28 PM
It seems to only happen when the dimensions are not associated with geometry. If you create a rectangle and then dimension it (with DIMASSOC = 2) it works ok, but on older drawings there is a problem

Jim
This seems to be true for ACAD 2006 type dimensions but with 2006 Mechanical power dimensions the dimassoc variable setting has no affect. :sad: